Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-20, 12:06 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Not with exercise, but I was able to get it down to a normal range without medication. I can share in a PM.
I'm interested in this also
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 01:14 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Not with exercise, but I was able to get it down to a normal range without medication. I can share in a PM.
Would love to get a pm re this issue.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 01:17 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Joining the bandwagon, I'm curious too. Mind another PM? Thanks.
Old 10-27-20, 01:20 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Did you expect all the requests?? I would also like to know, if you're willing to PM another person! My LDL and triglycerides are high. I know my eating needs to be cleaned up and maybe that's all I need to do to fix the problem. Thank you!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 02:45 PM  
donnamp

I have one thing you could check on - coffee - are you drinking any unfiltered coffee such as French press/espresso shots? Unfiltered coffee can raise LDL.

I was on a heavy fresh press rotation and ended up with slightly elevated LDL once I cut back, normal LDL.

Just something to check.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 02:50 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Did you expect all the requests?? I would also like to know, if you're willing to PM another person! My LDL and triglycerides are high. I know my eating needs to be cleaned up and maybe that's all I need to do to fix the problem. Thank you!
I don't know if it's diet. I don't make a habit of eating fried food, high fat food, food high in cholesterol, etc because I have to carefully watch my sodium. Foods that typically fall into that category (for me) typically have high sodium. I eat salmon twice a week and check labels carefully. Still, my cholesterol levels are rising. I've been taking a supplement that I hope will help. Thanks Diana for the other advice too
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 03:31 PM  
tamib

Hi Diana,

Please PM me also. I've got mine down a little through diet but they still want me to take statins.
Thanks.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 03:50 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

I increased my fiber intake after researching ways to lower cholesterol naturally. Mine was starting to creep up and my doctor wanted it lower or she would recommend meds. I stir 2 T chia seeds (1/8 cup) into 16 ounces of water and add a packet of true citrus for flavor. This gives me 11 G of fiber, which is almost half the recommended daily allowance. Chia seeds are also a complete protein. 18 months later my cholesterol was down 50 points and that is the only dietary change I made.
Old 10-27-20, 03:56 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I've had somewhat elevated cholesterol (specifically LDL) in the past and have been recommended for a statin. No thanks! I have successfully managed it with diet along, but (probably thanks to genetics) it will elevate quickly if I'm not careful.

Based on my research, HDL "good cholesterol" is primarily driven by exercise (exercise will increase HDL). My HDL is pretty robust from working out so that hasn't been my main issue.

LDL "bad cholesterol" is primarily driven by consumption of trans and saturated fats. I have had success with greatly decreasing my LDL by cutting out saturated fats (cheese, half and half in my tea, and chocolate are my main offenders...I don't eat any trans fat, processed meats, or that type of thing which would also elevate your LDL).

Triglycerides are primarily driven by your carb consumption. I follow a low carb diet so this isn't my problem area. My dad's cardiologist says triglycerides levels are the most important to avoid a cardiac episode...so hopefully that is the case! (Since my main issue is LDL). I try to avoid "low fat" products because they are typically full of sugar/carbs, although I use low fat milk as my replacement for half and half in my tea.

All these levels are of course also driven by genetics, but I try to focus on what you can change. Eating a lot of fiber, lean veggies, and omega fats in general can help too. Even with a clean diet there could be sneaky contributors like coconut oil (and by extension, vegan cheese which is coconut oil based) which has a huge amount of saturated fat.

There is no definitive link that dietary cholesterol (such as cholesterol found in eggs) impacts your cholesterol. I have successfully gotten my LDL down without cutting back on eggs...and I eat a lot of eggs LOL.

I follow a pretty good diet but I think my LDL quickly elevates thanks to genetics and my love of cheese products. I can keep it down but it will quickly sneak back up if I'm not careful.

I'm getting my cholesterol levels tested again next month, and decided to give myself some extra help this time by taking "Cholest-Off" supplement that is made up of plant sterols and stanols, and a fiber supplement....since my pandemic eating has been less than optimal Fingers crossed that this will help!
Old 10-27-20, 04:04 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
I increased my fiber intake after researching ways to lower cholesterol naturally. Mine was starting to creep up and my doctor wanted it lower or she would recommend meds. I stir 2 T chia seeds (1/8 cup) into 16 ounces of water and add a packet of true citrus for flavor. This gives me 11 G of fiber, which is almost half the recommended daily allowance. Chia seeds are also a complete protein. 18 months later my cholesterol was down 50 points and that is the only dietary change I made.

Since this has already been said I will comment publicly.

This is what I have said to everyone:

I have always had elevated bad/total cholesterol. The Dr was never too concerned because my good cholesterol has always been very high. But in the last couple of years they would bring up the concern with the bad/total, I guess because I am getting older. I have always refused the cholesterol meds. Anyways, due to another issue I started using a fiber supplement. The next lab results showed total cholesterol in a normal range. I have never had that. It has always been elevated. I asked the Dr. about the fiber supplement and she confirmed that the fiber is probably what brought it down.

I use Citrucel fiber supplement because it does not ferment and cause gas. There are other types of fiber available.

No other changes, total cholesterol dropped approx 60 pts, I don't recall total cholesterol ever being in a normal range.

No, I didn't expect so much interest, LOL. I hope this will be helpful to others and you get similar results.

I won't sent any PM's since I have commented publicly.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cholesterol, eating, exercise to heal, fiber, health, medical tests, nutrition, results