Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-18, 02:58 PM  
Sara1000

Best Exercise for Glutes?

What has given you the best results for developing strong, firm glutes?

I'm looking for just a couple of exercises I can add after walking.

Thanks!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-18, 03:06 PM  
nuttymom

Hip thrusts and cable kickbacks are my top 2. Follow Bret Contreras on Instagram, he has the best butt workouts and exercises, he specializes in glute building!
nuttymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-18, 03:32 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttymom View Post
Hip thrusts and cable kickbacks are my top 2. Follow Bret Contreras on Instagram, he has the best butt workouts and exercises, he specializes in glute building!
Agree on the hip thrusts. You do not have to do this from bench height as is often shown. I just use a club step with some risers. I have seen some clips of Bret doing it this way. He shows many variations including using a smith machine which is what I use when I am building up to a weight I can do from a barbell on the floor with large plates. I can’t get under a bar with smaller plates.
I always felt like a bit of a wimp using the Smith machine then I saw him suggesting it and felt better...
Anyway Bret also uses alot of loop band exercises.
He is called The Glute Guy for a reason.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-18, 03:55 PM  
LizEMA

I'm still on my journey to achieve my ideal glutes , but, IMHO, the below moves really target the glutes:

• I concur with nuttymom in that hip thrusts are killer for the glutes. They really isolate them and let you lift HEAVY.
  • Elevated lunges/Bulgarian split squats -- these really target the glutes, and, as a bonus, provide good balancework.
  • Cathe's push dips -- a cross between an elevated lunge and a forward leaning static lunge. (These can be seen in her Fit Split Legs & Glutes clip @ the 2:07 min. mark.)
  • Reverse lunges -- done SLOWLY and with heavy weight. Let the knee of the moving leg kiss the ground on the reverse motion to make sure you get full ROM and full benefit.
  • Leg Press/Step ups -- love 'em or hate 'em, this move really makes you feel your glutes. ANY move that has you lunging or squatting off the step will do that and is good for working the glutes.
  • Crossback/curtsy lunges
  • Good 'ol fashioned all four work weighted hammy press -- the classic "pizza press" done with ankle weights and/or a DB behind the knee. This move won't ever leave your butt without a burn.
  • Also, kettlebell swings. Those are great for the entire posterior chain.
Old 12-27-18, 04:56 PM  
Sara1000

Thanks for the suggestions I've never done hip thrusts but I looked them up on youtube. Can't wait to try them!
Old 12-28-18, 01:42 AM  
videofit

See if you can find the original Buns of Steel with Greg Smithey. Margaret Richard really toned up my butt and thighs but when I subbed just the lower body portion of BoS once a week, it really made a big improvement. Works the muscles in a slightly different way, lots of reps. You won't even need ankle weights. It's torture!
Old 12-28-18, 06:18 AM  
Sara1000

Thanks, I'll look for that
Old 12-28-18, 07:38 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Buns of Steel is on YouTube - Greg Smithey and Tamilee Webb.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-18, 08:09 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Greg Smithey video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K8IXM5Ty1I

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-18, 08:56 AM  
Sara1000

I had that video years ago. I thought it was too hard It is hard, I'm sure, because it has so many repetitions. I might use it now in just short segments, different ones each day. I'm watching it now

Tags
glute bridge, glutes, hip thrust, lower body, pretzel