Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-18, 10:29 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Cardio choices for those with bone spurs, Rebounding or Recumbent bicycle?

My sister has a bone spur on her foot. She called me asking for recommendations for cardio. She likes to walk outdoors, but it is not a good option for her anymore. She is looking at recumbent bicycles, which I think would be a good choice for her, however I love rebounding, and I am wondering if she could do that comfortably with a bone spur on her foot? What it boils down to is, what is the best option for her. I don't live real close to her or she could come try rebounding on my Bellicon. Any suggestions?

TIA
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 11:51 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I had a bone spur on my heel a few years ago. I'd go for a recumbent or an upright-posture stationary bike. Though the rebounder is good for a variety of limitations, I'm sure that movement, impact even as cushioned as it is, and the reverb would be uncomfortable.

Also, FYI, when I badly sprained a knee several years ago and had issues with my patella occasionally dislocating painfully, my very experienced and excellent PT told me the movement of a rebounder would not be to my advantage and to cross it off my list of possibilities forever. I had fallen while gardening and hit the side of my knee on the edge of my concrete driveway so my sprain was not the usual kind but it did make me realize no rehab option suits all rehabs. Fortunately he recommended an upright posture stationary bike for my condition and I still use it even though my kneecap hasn't dislocated for a couple of years. Works with my arthritic hands, wonky foot and other aches and pains.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-18, 07:53 AM  
adrien_73

Unfortunately I have ongoing foot issues, so I can certainly relate!

I have a heel spur that comes and goes. When it flares up, anything that puts pressure on that heel is uncomfortable, so I only use my spin bike or rowing machine for cardio. (I would definitely recommend rowing as an option but would warn that it can get boring after 10-15 minutes.) I prefer the spin bike to a regular stationary bike because I can stand & "jog" on the pedals without having any weight on my heel. (If her spur is not on the heel, this might not be helpful but I thought it was worth mentioning!) I frequently alternate cycles of rowing with spinning. I often sit up straight on my spin bike, and use it as more of an upright stationary bike without leaning forward in the traditional spinning position.

When the spur starts to get better & I am feeling my plantar fasciitis more than the spur, I like to use my bellicon. Doing it barefoot helps stretch out the muscles/tendons/fibers in the bottom of my feet. But for a full-blown spur it can be uncomfortable.

Sorry to be so lengthy. I hope this helps a little!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-18, 04:41 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

This is all helpful information! I will pass it along to my Sister
Thanks!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 11:42 PM  
bjones

I also second the spin bike. I had terrible heel pain and was able to bike both sitting and standing on the spin bike with no problem. Its great cardio and is my "forever" piece of exercise equipment now even though my plantar fasciitis is resolved.
Swimming is another option if she has access to a pool.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone spurs, cardio, rebounding, recumbent bike, stationary bike