Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-15, 10:40 AM  
Buttercup

Contreras addresses building the butt without building the quads and hamstrings: http://bretcontreras.com/growing-glu...wing-the-legs/ Again, be warned of the almost NSFW photos he chose to illustrate his point.

He also has many articles on other exercises for the butt that aren't necessarily strength moves like this one on using "Jane Fonda" exercises: http://bretcontreras.com/?s=jane+fonda
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-15, 11:43 AM  
MARIKA

I really like him. He does his research. However I don't know if I could give up squats and lunges?Has anyone gone full on Brett C and made significant changes?
Old 08-09-15, 01:58 PM  
Buttercup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
I really like him. He does his research. However I don't know if I could give up squats and lunges?Has anyone gone full on Brett C and made significant changes?
I've done the Strong Curves program. He still has lunges and squats but other movements are emphasized. I definitely had good results. A much more lifted and rounded backside. Now, I'm working on overall fat loss, since I'm about 10 lbs. heavier than I'd like, so I'm doing Pauline Nordine's Build and Burn Challenge.

Strong Curves had you doing full body workouts 3 times a week. Each session you work the glutes first and had about 4 exercises for the lower body. Then there would be 2 exercises per session for the upper body. The basic idea is to work the glutes a lot to build muscle and the upper body just enough to maintain muscle. The book Sharaz mentioned, Gluteus Maximus, uses a lot of the same training ideas i.e. work what you want to build a lot and just maintain the other areas.

One of the best things in exploring Contreras' stuff is he really emphasizes glute activation and makes use of the "girly" exercises that a lot of exercise gurus pooh-poohed over the years. The old fashioned Jane Fonda floor work does work well in activating the glutes. You get a lot more out of exercises for the posterior chain when your glutes are firing. It was frustrating over the years that if you wanted a great butt, the advice was always squat, squat and squat some more and if you saw no change over time just squat some more! Well, there are a lot of more effective exercises for the glutes (and BTW, I'm not anti-squat by any means, they just aren't the most effective for the glutes). I actually feel my glutes the most on weighted hip bridges as opposed to hip thrusts, but that's just me.

Another informative trainer is Nick Tuminiello. He also does a lot of stuff with activating the posterior chain. He isn't exclusively glute oriented like Contreras, but he does show how to do a leaning lunge that hits the glutes more and other stuff like that. Here he goes over a hip thrust variation: http://nicktumminello.com/2015/01/hi...ombo-exercise/
This shows a 1 leg hip thrust variation (BTW I find 1 leg no weight added hip thrusts extremely challenging):
http://nicktumminello.com/2014/10/si...ust-variation/
And this is a really good one on hip thrust progressions (you don't always have to add poundage to progress): http://nicktumminello.com/2014/08/hi...e-progression/

Last edited by Buttercup; 08-09-15 at 02:02 PM. Reason: I spelt Pauline Pauling. Oops.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-15, 02:23 PM  
MARIKA

Thanks buttercup! Lot's of good info.
Old 08-10-15, 05:35 AM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
Exactly this!

I'll look at your links and websites (haven't had much time lately) and I'm gonna start Leaner Legs and focusing on heavier weight DVDs (and step for cardio). I'm so tempted to get EBE2 (the first one is too much money for 4 short workouts)...but I should probably just use the lower body DVDs I already have.

Unless you REALLY think I should get EBE2...
Well Linda, Leaner Legs and other Cathe endurance workouts on the 16 reps are a good place to start. I started with these when I got back on track. Endurance rotations have a place in any periodization program. Its helps with preparation/recovering after strength/hypertrophy phases. I mentioned that I do hip thrusts instead of squats on Leaner Legs. The partials will challenge the butt big time on top. One combo that's looks similar to EBE build phase, but on the endurance side, is Butt and Guts Legs Blast pre-mix and Floorwork and abs pre-mix.

EBE2 Build Phase work on the hypertrophy 12 reps range to make it growth. If you admire Ingrid Romero's physique why not training glutes the way she train glutes If I am looking for a similar physique, I would not train as a powerlifter and expect that magic happens. Is logical to follow Ingrid own program, or any other fitness model programs out there. The program is exactly as fitness routines that I have seen before in magazines and paper programs that I own. These girls train in a specific way and pretty much all look the same. This is the physique I admire personally. Picture tells everything, just saying
Old 08-10-15, 05:46 AM  
Sharaz

Buttercup - I read all of Bret and Nick Tuminiello's articles. Great resources. Brett book and Gluteus to the Maximus are my go to butt bibles.

One of the best advice from GTTM is to wear flat sole shoes while lifting. i use high top adidas and it helps me with balance and mechanics so I focus on glutes properly. I also learned how to lunge properly. Also I incorporate stretching between sets when working at the gym. I feel hip thrusts better than bridges. The other exercises I really feel deep are any lunge, bench squats, pistols and cable kickbacks.

I also like Pauline a lot and have done her programs in the past. I like her attitude
Old 08-10-15, 08:55 AM  
twinkletoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
If you admire Ingrid Romero's physique why not training glutes the way she train glutes If I am looking for a similar physique, I would not train as a powerlifter and expect that magic happens. Is logical to follow Ingrid own program, or any other fitness model programs out there. The program is exactly as fitness routines that I have seen before in magazines and paper programs that I own. These girls train in a specific way and pretty much all look the same. This is the physique I admire personally. Picture tells everything, just saying
Thanks! I guess that answered my question!
Old 08-10-15, 09:44 AM  
MARIKA

Love this thread, so much info. I need to find a plan. I was doing X3 then following that with Rev Abs now somehow my thighs are looking strange if that makes sense. I think just to much. Going to try to do do more thrusts and less squats. I have been overloaded with so much info this weekend In a good way.
Old 08-10-15, 05:38 PM  
kattpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I've done the Strong Curves program. He still has lunges and squats but other movements are emphasized. I definitely had good results. A much more lifted and rounded backside. Now, I'm working on overall fat loss, since I'm about 10 lbs. heavier than I'd like, so I'm doing Pauline Nordine's Build and Burn Challenge.

Strong Curves had you doing full body workouts 3 times a week. Each session you work the glutes first and had about 4 exercises for the lower body. Then there would be 2 exercises per session for the upper body. The basic idea is to work the glutes a lot to build muscle and the upper body just enough to maintain muscle. The book Sharaz mentioned, Gluteus Maximus, uses a lot of the same training ideas i.e. work what you want to build a lot and just maintain the other areas.

One of the best things in exploring Contreras' stuff is he really emphasizes glute activation and makes use of the "girly" exercises that a lot of exercise gurus pooh-poohed over the years. The old fashioned Jane Fonda floor work does work well in activating the glutes. You get a lot more out of exercises for the posterior chain when your glutes are firing. It was frustrating over the years that if you wanted a great butt, the advice was always squat, squat and squat some more and if you saw no change over time just squat some more! Well, there are a lot of more effective exercises for the glutes (and BTW, I'm not anti-squat by any means, they just aren't the most effective for the glutes). I actually feel my glutes the most on weighted hip bridges as opposed to hip thrusts, but that's just me.

Another informative trainer is Nick Tuminiello. He also does a lot of stuff with activating the posterior chain. He isn't exclusively glute oriented like Contreras, but he does show how to do a leaning lunge that hits the glutes more and other stuff like that. Here he goes over a hip thrust variation: http://nicktumminello.com/2015/01/hi...ombo-exercise/
This shows a 1 leg hip thrust variation (BTW I find 1 leg no weight added hip thrusts extremely challenging):
http://nicktumminello.com/2014/10/si...ust-variation/
And this is a really good one on hip thrust progressions (you don't always have to add poundage to progress): http://nicktumminello.com/2014/08/hi...e-progression/
Buttercup

How are you liking the build and burn challenge?? Would you recommend it?? I think Pauline is doing another one coming up....

Thanks,
Kathleen
kattpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 10:43 PM  
yahoo205

What's best for fat loss but keeping the butt glute glutes still firm and round? and at the same time thigh fat loss?
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
booty, bret contreras, glutes, patricia friberg, round butt