Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-15, 11:33 AM  
halebop

Which one first JM Body Revolution or JNL Fusion?

I'm getting back into exercise after a long (way long) layoff. That means doing nearly nothing. I really want to follow a prescribed program. I've looked at a bunch and think I've narrowed it down to Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution and JNL Fusion. I may well do both. Which would you suggest I start with?

Is one easier and more doable for an out of shape person? I do find that lots of lunges hurt my knees but I'm prepared to do my best and modify as needed and see how that goes.

Really would appreciate any comparisons between the two and which you'd start with if you were looking at both too. Thanks in advance!
halebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 01:14 PM  
Jags

Quote:
Originally Posted by halebop View Post
I'm getting back into exercise after a long (way long) layoff. That means doing nearly nothing. I really want to follow a prescribed program. I've looked at a bunch and think I've narrowed it down to Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution and JNL Fusion. I may well do both. Which would you suggest I start with?

Is one easier and more doable for an out of shape person? I do find that lots of lunges hurt my knees but I'm prepared to do my best and modify as needed and see how that goes.

Really would appreciate any comparisons between the two and which you'd start with if you were looking at both too. Thanks in advance!
I am not very good at describing workouts or comparing systems, but having done both of these sets recently I would suggest you do JMBR first and then JNL.

JMBR starts slow and builds, it assumes that you are starting at the beginning. JNL can be tough, right from the start, depending upon the weights you're using and the condition you are in.
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 02:59 PM  
halebop

Thanks so much! That helps. I was leaning slightly towards Body Revolution and this confirms it for me. How did you like the JNL Fusion? Did you find it effective for you? Is the lower body part really good or just average? Are you glad you purchased or looking back would you have skipped that one?
halebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 03:26 PM  
Jags

Quote:
Originally Posted by halebop View Post
Thanks so much! That helps. I was leaning slightly towards Body Revolution and this confirms it for me. How did you like the JNL Fusion? Did you find it effective for you? Is the lower body part really good or just average? Are you glad you purchased or looking back would you have skipped that one?
I loved both sets. I thought the JNL lower body workouts were quite good, as was the whole set. I doubled up workouts on JNL to hit lower body 3x a week. I borrowed someone's rotation here, which paired upper body with lower body making 3 total body workouts per week. But you could just alternate lower, upper, lower, upper, lower. While I loved both sets, I liked JNL more. Despite the reviews of Jennifer being loud and obnoxious, she really grew on me. She's a knowledgeable, motivating personal trainer - and when she wasn't doing her schtick, I found her to be genuine and endearing.

(full disclosure: I acquired both sets through trading and have since traded or sold them. Only because I prefer heavy-weight splits more than circuits.)
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 04:27 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
Despite the reviews of Jennifer being loud and obnoxious, she really grew on me. She's a knowledgeable, motivating personal trainer - and when she wasn't doing her schtick, I found her to be genuine and endearing.
I was one of those people who was annoyed by her, but liked the workouts enough to keep doing them (i didn't own them, had to do them while I had the chance). I recently borrowed her Fabulously Fit Moms dvds from the library and she was a different person! She was quiet and low key and...I didn't like it. Lol I bought JNL Fusion from a YaYa a couple of weeks ago and during preview I thought, "yay! She's back."

And although there are beginner modifications, I don't think they're good for a beginner or someone getting back to exercise. I didn't buy JMBR because people here said it's too easy in the beginning.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 07:05 PM  
Footballnut

I recommend JMBR first. She starts easier. There are three levels if I remember correctly and each level is more difficult than the previous one! Good luck!
Old 06-21-15, 07:20 AM  
cmarsh4

I can not comment on the JMBR because I have never done it. I started with JNL Fusion after a long hiatus and gaining 50 lbs. I did have to modify at first but did just fine. I loved these workouts. I had a lot of success and even tho I have moved on to Jillian's Bodyshed I still will put a JNL workout in about every couple of weeks just because I miss the fun of JNL. It does sound like JMBR has good reviews and would be a good place to start as well.
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 09:01 AM  
buffmama

Last edited by buffmama; 06-21-15 at 09:05 AM. Reason: posted on wrong thread
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15, 07:16 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballnut View Post
I recommend JMBR first. She starts easier. There are three levels if I remember correctly and each level is more difficult than the previous one! Good luck!
X2.

Although there are other opinions to the contrary, I personally think JNL could be a bit intimidating to somebody coming off a long exercise hiatus. It starts off fairly intense right out of the gate.

JMBR, on the other hand, starts out slow and builds in intensity as you progress.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15, 01:16 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

It also depends if you like the instructor. Both Jillian and JNL can put off some people.

I think JMBR is easier to start until you get to the hardest levels. Then I think JNL is easier. So I would start with JMBR and then do JNL before doing the toughest levels of JMBR.

Tags
jmbr, jnl fusion