Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-19, 12:26 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Here's a recent thread that might also help:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=224166

I've maintained a 30 pound weight loss since a year ago, mostly doing weight workouts, so yes it is possible to get stronger while losing weight. No matter your size, strong is always better than weak!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 05:07 PM  
diggerholliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
No matter your size, strong is always better than weak!
What a great quote!
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 07:29 AM  
Tugger31

Diet alone can give you number on the scale success, but it would likely be at the expense of muscle atrophy. Dieting and too much cardio can cause further muscle breakdown. If you are cutting your calories back, doing long cardio sessions will likely leave you feeling wiped out and also may start catabolizing the muscle you do have. I have been able to get stronger with mild calorie restriction and lose weight at the same time. I think if you aren't eating calories in excess you can get stronger but you may not get bigger muscles, but more compact muscles.

To track your strength progress you may want to consider sticking with a few Cathe workouts instead of doing too many as each one has its own rep count etc. I have taken advantage of the timesaver premixes on Gym Styles which I also prefer not only for the time but I can lift heavier when the sessions aren't as long. You could lift heavier for 3-4 weeks, maybe take a rest week doing yoga or stretching alternating with metabolic workouts then maybe 1-2 weeks of endurance/higher rep workouts. then another yoga/walking/metabolic week and then start back with heavier lifting. The rest and stretching is good for muscle recovery. For cardio I have lost weight just doing lower intensity Jessica 30 min walking workouts, Cathe's timesaver kickboxing premixes and then once a week doing a HiiT workout.

Good Luck and let us know how you're doing!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 10:58 AM  
wendug

This article was recently posted on Popsugar about this very topic.

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Can...-Time-45783813
Old 02-13-19, 11:52 AM  
GeekyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Here's a recent thread that might also help:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=224166

I've maintained a 30 pound weight loss since a year ago, mostly doing weight workouts, so yes it is possible to get stronger while losing weight. No matter your size, strong is always better than weak!
Thanks, Sue! I'm off to read that thread. I've actually been thinking of going through Drop 2 Sizes. I have the book and DVD set.
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-19, 12:10 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerholliday View Post
What a great quote!
Thanks - I think I stole it from some instructor It's such common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGirl View Post
Thanks, Sue! I'm off to read that thread. I've actually been thinking of going through Drop 2 Sizes. I have the book and DVD set.
D2S, the book program, has been my go-to for getting back on track. I did it again early last year.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circuits, get stronger, joyce vedral, no cardio, strength, weight loss, weights only