Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-18, 07:00 PM  
Sara1000

Can Plateau be a Good Thing?

Seems like I'm always building up - and getting sore. Sometimes I think it would be nice just to maintain my current condition and not be sore. Is that even possible or do your muscles start to atrophy if you just continue on a level you've already achieved?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-18, 09:05 PM  
SueT

Sara, Joyce Vedral says on a few of her DVDs that she lifts 10, 15, and 20 pound dumbbells for her weight workouts, and she doesn’t go heavier than that because she can maintain her fitness and muscle mass staying with those weights. She also says there’s no reason to go that heavy, that you can maintain strength and muscle definition with lower weights, as long as you work out consistently. She recommends varying your weight routines so you work your muscles differently, but you don’t have to keep going heavier and heavier once you reach the weights that are your comfortable limit for maintenance.

She’s in her 70s and has a nice amount of muscle on her body, so I believe she knows what she’s talking about.

I wish I could say that I’m personally taking Joyce’s advice and using it for my own workouts, but my main weight workouts have been carrying my almost-2-year-old grandson, who is finally starting to walk on his own. I’ve been devoting the majority of my free time helping my daughter with Gavin, so my workout time has been very limited. My right knee that had meniscus surgery 4 years ago is starting to bother me more if I do heavier weight work, so i’m trying Classical Stretch and Essentrics again to balance all my muscles and build up strength in my legs with just body weight exercises. I think I should do some upper body weights to supplement the Essentrics, though, since I’ll be 57 and don’t want my arms to get more flabby.

I hope this long winded response was helpful to you!

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-18, 09:17 PM  
Sara1000

Very helpful, thank you, Sue.
Old 10-19-18, 09:45 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post

I wish I could say that I’m personally taking Joyce’s advice and using it for my own workouts, but my main weight workouts have been carrying my almost-2-year-old grandson, who is finally starting to walk on his own. I’ve been devoting the majority of my free time helping my daughter with Gavin, so my workout time has been very limited. My right knee that had meniscus surgery 4 years ago is starting to bother me more if I do heavier weight work, so i’m trying Classical Stretch and Essentrics again to balance all my muscles and build up strength in my legs with just body weight exercises. I think I should do some upper body weights to supplement the Essentrics, though, since I’ll be 57 and don’t want my arms to get more flabby.

I hope this long winded response was helpful to you!

Sue
I think carrying your grandson is a good workout. When mine were little I had a hard time picking them up - I rarely saw them - even though I did regular workouts with heavy weights. I've been trying to build up my upper body weights slowly (after letting it go for a while). I'm still getting sore though, especially my triceps.
Old 10-20-18, 07:34 AM  
horsemom2

Sara,
Give yourself permission to listen to your body.

I workout to feel good and believe that should be the focus for all ages.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 07:45 AM  
buffmama

I'm going to echo what SueT said about working out differently. Using a different program/rotation I tend to take it down a few notches but build back up as I continue to do it. When that gets easier, I tend to switch things up again after enjoying that feeling for a bit.

Tags
joyce vedral, maintenance