Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-13, 06:09 PM  
BunnyHop

I did Liquid Grooves for the first time today, and really liked it.

It's definitely got a mellow, work at your own level vibe going on, but I thought it was great fun as well.

Definitely a keeper for me.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 07:17 PM  
Susan

OK, I'll be the lone dissenter here.

If your mom is as out-of-shape as you say she is, I think even Leslie Sansone workouts could be too much. I would suggest starting with leisurely strolls around the block (if she can handle it,) and then work up from there. She may not be ready for any kind of fitness DVDs, and if you don't start out very, very slowly with her, she may get sore, injured, or simply become too discouraged to continue.

I think this is definitely a time to forget about trying to get any kind of quick results, and concentrate on introducing exercise very, very gently.

Also, has her doctor cleared her for exercise?
Old 06-02-13, 09:29 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I have to agree with Susan, all of these work outs are too long and too difficult for someone who is morbidly obese. I think the best workout would be short (maybe 10 minutes) and very easy such as a walk around the block. Very large people are all ready putting intense stress on their joints simply carrying the weight. Any jumping or running will cause injury. I believe easy and slow is the place to start. Simply walking in the shallow end of a pool for ten minutes would be great if you have access to one.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 03:25 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
If your mom is as out-of-shape as you say she is, I think even Leslie Sansone workouts could be too much. I would suggest starting with leisurely strolls around the block (if she can handle it,) and then work up from there. She may not be ready for any kind of fitness DVDs, and if you don't start out very, very slowly with her, she may get sore, injured, or simply become too discouraged to continue.
Remember that even Leslie says it's okay to do 5 minutes at first and build up. The workouts I suggested are gentle 1 and 2 milers. Walking outside would be the same thing. Maybe half a block is too much at first. But you have to start somewhere and then go a little further each time. The good thing about being at home is that you can stop when you get tired.

I think seated workouts are an excellent place to start.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner