Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-16, 01:46 PM  
alisoncooks

Yoga Warrior 365 - how did you use this?

I just picked up Yoga Warrior 365 (Rudy Mettia)...for a really good price, I might add.

Anyway, I'm super-excited about it! I plan on taking July (and maybe August) to build up to it by using the new Jessica Smith yoga/fusion workouts. My birthday month is September, so I'm thinking that'll be my YW365 month.

As of right now, I don't know HOW I will be using it. Every day? Every other day? Add in walking on off days? I'm curious: how did you use this set? Did you do any sort of rotation with it? How did you feel at the end? Any results (weight loss, flexibility, sleep better, less stiffness)?

Thanks!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 02:49 PM  
Dabbadooey

I tried to use it according to the rotation, but I didn't get too far. Rudy got on my last nerve.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 03:09 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
I tried to use it according to the rotation, but I didn't get too far. Rudy got on my last nerve.
Oh dear, LOL.
I've watched a few of the workouts, and I think I'm going to be alright with his chatter. I think -- you never know once you start doing the workouts!

Thanks for sharing.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 03:15 PM  
Dabbadooey

I may have come off as a negative Nellie, and I didn't mean to.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 03:48 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I think YW365 was designed to be a moderate intensity power yoga program for those who found UY to be too grueling. I actually like Rudy but he is way way way too discursive. I could not use the rotation as written for that reason. However ... one of the practices was a lifesaver at a very stressful time in my life. It's on the bonus disc and is called "Modified Warrior". It's just Rudy by himself in voice-over. The routine is maybe 20 or 25 minutes long, quite gentle, with lots of modifications offered if needed. Frankly, this routine is where Rudy really shines, IMO. No jokes, no going off script, just a really nice solo class with a mellow teacher. I kept YW365 for Modified Warrior. Every now and then I do one of the longer routines, but the real keeper for me is Modified Warrior.

Just start with the first practice and do one or two per week. If you like Rudy's style, you can always add more practices if you want to make that week yoga-focused. These routines are a lot less grueling than UY and I do like the pacing of them.

(And don't forget Modified Warrior! Those days where you are stressed, tired, feel blah but you really need to do something ... try Modified Warrior. I bet a lot of people who bought the set never tried it, and it's a lovely short practice.)

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 04:22 PM  
Cher

I'm curious what responses you get on this. I purchased YW365 when it first came out and did it everyday for almost 2 weeks....then my usual boredom of using one type of workout set in and I quit. I should've probably worked in in like every other day or a couple times a week. I really like Rudy and have kept it but haven't pulled it out again....maybe I should!

eam531 - I have never tried Modified Warrior....maybe I will star again with t h at one.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 04:45 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
Rudy got on my last nerve.
This. I find Rudy to be pretty obnoxious and he NEVER SHUTS UP. Because of this I hardly ever reach for this set. I prefer Ultimate Yogi. Sorry Allison I really hope you like it.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 07:26 PM  
samantha-kitty

I have YW365 and UY and really enjoy both but have never tried a rotation with either and doubt I could stand to with either. I pick and chose practices and between Rudy and Travis (and a few select others) depending on mood, energy level, and what aches that particular day. I will find either to be just what I need or unbearably annoying, depending on my mood that day. However, my "I would rather just go for a run" boyfriend definitely prefers Rudy, both intensity wise and dialog/speech patterns wise.

I will say that I have never done the intro YW365 practice (the gathering, available for free on youtube) and would probably throw the whole set out after smashing the disks if the other practices were similar - WAY too slow and Rudy PLEASE STOP talking!!! I think I survived maybe 3 minutes of previewing while doing kitchen chores before hitting eject.

I agree he gets lost gabbing at some points in some of the other practices (e.g., crunches section in the second practice , disk 1, versatile warrior) and just substitute. When doing that one, I go into happy baby when I've had enough. My hips need the stretch way more than my abs need the crunches, so it works well for me.

I really like the instructional sections but wish they had been consolidated onto one disk. I would use them more that way. I also like the short standing only mountain practice on the bonus disk.

If I were to do a primarily YW365 rotation, I would probably limit it to every other day at most or hunt down and mix in other instructors/practices so: 1) the chatter didn't get to be too much and 2) to not blow out my shoulders with sun salutations
samantha-kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 08:57 PM  
katmom

YW365 was my first journey into longer yoga practices. I continued my other fitness training and just did 2 YW365 practices a week starting with disc 1 (Wednesday and Saturday were my yoga days). When I completed all 12 discs, I started back with disc 1. I did 2 rounds of this "rotation" which made me more comfortable with yoga.
Old 07-04-16, 07:13 PM  
DeepSeaSue

I love YW 365 and I'm in the minority in that I adore Rudy and his musings. There was talk about him writing a book at one point and I hope that's still in the works because I would snap it up in a heartbeat. He has a fascinating backstory.

I generally did a practice every second day with my usual cardio (spinning, kickboxing, etc) on the alternate days.

I don't think I lost any weight but I didn't have much weight to lose at the time. I did, however, tighten up all over (especially in my upper body) and I slept much better and was just more relaxed and less stressed in general.

I think I did the rotation for about 60 days. I stopped only because my vidiot-ness kicked in and I missed my other workouts. I should do another mini-rotation again. I still pull out Mountain Warrior frequently--it's about 30 minutes and let's me get my "Rudy fix"
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudy mettia, yoga warrior 365