Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-12, 09:41 AM  
roz

Is this normal? Kitten-- from 3 to almost 9.5 pounds in under three months

My kitten is 9.34 pounds! Yes, I could tell he was fat (and to call it muscle would be wishful thinking) but 9.4 pounds?! He's only five months old.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-12, 09:54 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

These days it's not that abnormal - apparently there's a huge increase in pet obesity - but, yes, unless your cat is a Maine Coon or other very large breed I'd say that's pretty heavy. ETA - For reference I have 3 adult male cats and they're all between 9 and 11 pounds, the heaviest being my Tuxedo in the photo. ETAA - Oops, just weighed him - he's now 12.5 lbs but he is a large solid cat (and a bit chunky ).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-12, 10:29 AM  
mtnmom

At five months, he does sound a little robust. What does the vet say? I wonder if cats are a bit like kids. Mine (kids) would gain weight, then grow like mad and thin out in the process.

I have two cats. One is 15.5 pounds and is definitely overweight. She's part Siamese and has very thin limbs and a small head. My other cat, a male, is 12.5 pounds - down from 14.5. He's actually at a good weight for his build, but the weight loss was unintended. He's got a sensitive stomach and we now have to feed him a special diet so he doesn't lose any more weight.

But at 5 months, I wouldn't think a cat should weigh almost 10 pounds. Were his parents large cats?
Old 11-01-12, 10:30 AM  
roz

It's not any special breed-- just a domestic shorthair. We always adopt older cats, because kittens go faster, but these kittens were from a family that took a pregnant cat in but they absolutely lack the resources to get them fixed (that's why he was at the vet today).
Old 11-01-12, 10:32 AM  
roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
At five months, he does sound a little robust. What does the vet say? I wonder if cats are a bit like kids. Mine (kids) would gain weight, then grow like mad and thin out in the process.

I have two cats. One is 15.5 pounds and is definitely overweight. She's part Siamese and has very thin limbs and a small head. My other cat, a male, is 12.5 pounds - down from 14.5. He's actually at a good weight for his build, but the weight loss was unintended. He's got a sensitive stomach and we now have to feed him a special diet so he doesn't lose any more weight.

But at 5 months, I wouldn't think a cat should weigh almost 10 pounds. Were his parents large cats?
That girl must be a pinhead! I only saw the mother once, but she was on the small size. His sister is quite a bit slimmer than him-- and generally smaller too.
Old 11-01-12, 11:28 AM  
laurajhawk

Do you have other cats, or dogs? The kitten might be gorging because he thinks the other animals will steal his food.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-12, 11:28 AM  
cpcathy

Is he striped? Odd, but almost every striped cat I've known is a little larger.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-12, 11:33 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

At 5 months old, kittens tend to play and run around a lot, so I'm thinking over 9 lbs is too heavy. I assume the vet checked him out and the kitten has no health issues? Did he/she recommend special diet?

That's a sensitive topic in our house, because both of my boys are overweight. They are, however large and sturdy breed (British Shorthairs), and are now 10 and 8 years old and are sedentary.

Basil is almost 17" high and 26" head to tail and just weighed in at 21.95 lbs at the vet. He is in perfect health, so both of us got yelled at by the vet for his weight, and now, he's on a diet. Ziggy is a little smaller, but I'm sure he's overweight too. We'll find out next week, because he's due for his annual. I just switched their food to "light" Science Diet food, and I only give them half the amount I used to. They don't like it at all, but tough....I want to keep them healthy.
Old 11-01-12, 11:55 AM  
katmom

I have had one male cat that gained like that. I weaned him off kitten food and started feeding him only twice a day like my adult cats. He eventually grew into his size (14 inches at the shoulder and almost 36 inches from nose to tail-tip.).
Old 11-01-12, 12:23 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Anecdote time: my friend who knew nothing about cats adopted a young adult male tuxedo cat from a shelter. This type of cat tends to run a bit larger but hers was unusually petite with a dainty little round head, short legs and small paws. Optimally should weigh 9 pounds or less. Well she fed him at all hours of day and night (she's in a studio apartment and a light sleeper so every time he stirred she awoke and fed him) and he ballooned to 16.9 lbs... roughly twice what he should weigh! It's so sad; he's the sweetest, gentlest boy but can't even keep himself clean - and yes, my friend has to wipe him when he's been to the catbox. She knows that he's at increased risk for all kinds of disease, plus his quality of life has suffered (he barely moves, and he's not even 2yo). But getting him to reduce is hard and very slow going.

Just like in the case of people, prevention is far easier than the cure.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote