Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-22, 04:07 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey all!

kittybug, wow, I know you've been busy anyway, but now all the cat problems and plumbing too! It can be hard to find a good vet!! I hope your kitties feel better soon.

Chele, congratulations on driving! It must have been a strange feeling -- maybe both good and bad at the same time? Hope you can figure out the hardware issues without another surgery! Oh, the Peloton description did make sense, I think -- I think I can picture it. Thanks for the pushup hack thread -- that was such a cool trick! Kim described the feel of it really well. Hope the picnic was fun today!

Vintage, how's the noise from upstairs? Wondering if anyone new has moved in yet or if it'll be a couple of days. It has been hot, hasn't it? I've been walking in the evenings lately -- partly because it's when it's just starting to cool down and it actually feels good out there. Partly from boredom and just needing to move more.

I did Fuel #9 today -- basically a total body workout, alternating upper to lower again. My heart rate was up pretty high. She did ten different exercises in a set and then repeated the set three times, but the third time she switched things up either using lighter weights, no weight, or sometimes a complete change of the exercise (chest press became pushups, for instance). She did burpees at the end -- I can't remember if that was part of the third set or the finisher. I instead grabbed a band and tried Chele's pushup hack. I love it!

Just back from the farmer's market and I feel like I need a nap!
Old 06-13-22, 10:27 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

It's Monday again, UG!

We had a great weekend, going out to dinner and then to see The Black Angels which is literally the first band we've seen in a tad over two years. It was a breath of fresh air! Got to chat with the singer after. Very enjoyable evening that restored my faith in humanity, hah!

Saturday I did CL 126, Timesaver Step Grooves because I wanted to move but wanted something short and we'd be doing a lot of walking later. This was great, three fun combos, in and out and done. Sunday was Tendu Toning, which I acquired a while back and never tried. I loved it but geez, that attitude section with an ankle weight and ball was TOUGH. I enjoyed Ms. Speck's intro when she talks about having been a dancer and how we're taught NOT to run, lift weights, etc. Like her, once I figured out that was bogus info (too late) I really wished I had known those things earlier on.

VVfer, I looked up the eosinophilic granuloma complex, and OH NO, that's kind of how Cheeto's lip looks (but his is very minor compared to the pics I saw). Crap, now I have to research that and figure out what to do for him.

Chele, YOU DROVE!!! That is freaking amazing!! Were you nervous? You had to be but you did it anyway, fierce one. I really hope the hardware issues eventually heal up without further surgery.

Bee, our plumber flaked on Friday and is coming this week instead, grrrrr. Flaky contractors just tick me off to NO end!! Farmers market sounds fun!

Okay, gotta run...have a great day, Watulans!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 10:17 AM  
ChelePA

Bee… how about the Warriors! glad they were able to win even when Steph was having a rough night.

Kittybug… it’s almost impossible to get a local contractor these days. My husband is handy but doesn’t have time. It’s been crazy! Hope the plumber shows up!

So we did a basement clean on Saturday. Much to my happiness! Sunday my husband goes to bend over and pet Winston and throws his back out. I can’t make this stuff up. Couldn’t walk all day Sunday. Finally the steroids kick in and he’s walking crooked now. He was using my cane at one point. Talk about PTSD. You know it’s not a good situation when I’m the one who’s taking care of him and moving around better. Ugh!!!

We didn’t make it to the picnic at my brother’s but Grace went and had a good time. My nephew who’s in the army revealed he will be going to Europe for 10 months. Landing in Germany and then does not know where his assignment will be. I think the US is preparing in case anything happens in the NATO countries. He’s a commander of 180 men/women. He’s in charge of supply chain. Just hoping things settle down. Over 4000 troops going on this mission. Since we missed his party on Sunday, we spent time with him last evening and had dinner together. I wish there could just be peace in our country and this world.

Peloton workouts on Monday included lower body and core. Instead of just doing bodyweight only, I used Cathe’s light fabric brand for floorwork and squats. Today was upper body and core. I then added on a 30 minute epic sing-along cycling class. I needed something to boost my mood.

So glad a few of you tried the push-up hack and liked it. You can definitely change the resistance or type of bands to make it harder or easier.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 11:12 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Tuesday, Watulans!

Yesterday was CL 204, HIIT and Sculpt. According to my notes, I'd done this one before but a long time ago. It's about 10 minutes of HIIT after the warmup, then she absolutely BLASTS the upper body with...wait for it...just 5-pound weights. Seriously. Then it's floor work for legs (which I added ankle weights for, dumb idea because I was already sore) and core. EXCELLENT total body cardio/strength high rep workout!

Oh, Chele, on your nephew! Yes, let's hope things settle down soon...I'm glad you got to spend that time with him before he goes.

Waves to all!

Old 06-14-22, 07:40 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

kittybug, it does seem hard to find good, reliable tradespeople. My son is still talking about not going to college and doing some trade instead. He would probably make decent money -- it's not the worst idea, but I think the only way you win is if you start hiring other people to do the hard work as you age. Your comment about the five pound weights was funny!

Chele, Warriors!!! Wow, that game the other night was so tense, and then the one yesterday was so great! Andrew Wiggins was fantastic! Many decades ago I had a crush on a boy named Andrew Wiggins, so I've always liked that player.

Oh my gosh, your husband!! How's he doing now? It's too bad you weren't able to get to the party but very nice you were able to spend some time with your nephew. Sounds like he is going to be very busy over there, in a very critical role! I hope it does settle down soon -- I can't believe it's gone on this long. Nice that you're working in band work -- maybe you'll discover some other great hacks for the rest of us. Ah, I'll have to try the pushups with different bands and see how it changes up. I guess I theoretically have used two different bands at two different times now, but I don't remember it feeling very different. I'll try different ones in the same sitting sometime to play with it.

Yesterday I walked the tree farm. I meant to take a picture for the thread on people getting out hiking, but I forgot. Today I was going to do the next Fuel workout (for me) but I have not been feeling great so I did nothing. I did a covid test and it was negative but I know we all know someone who tested negative and then positive. But hopefully it's just allergies or something. I'm supposed to get my second shingles vaccine tomorrow and I'm wondering if that's a really bad idea if I'm not feeling 100%. I should probably reschedule but now that momentum is on my side, I want to role with it.

As I'm sitting here there's been a bunch of emails coming in about little fires near us. Hopefully they are all being taken care of! At least it's not windy.
Old 06-14-22, 07:46 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Ha! The pharmacy had to cancel my appointment due to lack of workers. I can imagine they are all getting hit with covid since anyone who tests positive has to go in themselves for a test in person to get the medicine. I feel so sorry for those workers! At any rate, decided for me.
Old 06-14-22, 09:13 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello Watulans!

Yikes! Tempus fugit for sure!

I've been doing my version of the Fuel workouts, keeping up with Caroline's calendar. I skipped #8 Posterior Chain since I have found that I have to modify the Fuel Glute work too much to make them worthwhile doing. One day I substituted a Glutes/hamstrings from the Iron series as she moves more slowly. I've also done a couple Kat workouts, one step workout that she called "advanced" but wasn't even close to advanced---a ton of repetition, simple movements, relatively slow tempo. I guess it was a matter of expectation---if I thought it was intermediate, it would have been fine, but I was expecting an advanced workout and that wasn't it. I also did a Chris Dorner kickbox workout in which she jabbered to the no longer live participants. **sigh**. I threw in a couple of Cathe Lives, and some bits and pieces from the old Cross Train Express, including warmups that I used for Caroline. Speaking of which, I wish she would make a new warmup for each of her series. I've pretty much decided that I will make substitutions for her glute/hamstring days, probably with some of the lower body Cathe workouts that I've skipped, that is assuming I finish this rotation. I like, but don't love, most of the workouts. That said, I loved #10! It moved quickly enough that I actually got my heartrate up into the cardio zone, but not so quickly that I was flailing around the weights.

bee, today's Fuel workout (#12 the "antagonist" workout) was the first one she's done in this series that I would consider "push pull" and she did work the biceps. Funny but I used the same amount of weight as Caroline did for the first time EVER. Not sure what that means, but then again, she used much more weight throughout the workout. Anyway, I haven't changed my mind. She doesn't work biceps enough, even using the "2/3 triceps to 1/2 biceps" theory. Oh, I listened to Part 1 of the podcast---good stuff! I think since I've had to tone down the impact that I'm mostly in Zone 2 during cardio. I'm not sure what difference that is supposed to make.

Chele, good for you for driving! I'm sure it must have been a bit scary. Wow----can't believe that your husband hurt his back! Well, you've come a long way if you can be the "caregiver." I hope he feels better soon! I saw the push up hack you mentioned in GD. Funny but pushups are one of the few things I DON'T normally need to modify---unless there are 500 of 'em. I am curious as to whether they might work some additional or different muscles than are worked during "regular" pushups.

TweenerW, loved the Charlie Puth video!

horusosiris, the "no social media" commitment seems to be working for you---good deal! The only social media I ever look at is Facebook and fortunately 99.9% of the people who are my "friends" don't mention current events or politics, thank heavens. Most of the "news" that appears on my feed are either from sports teams or rescue or nature sites---i.e. Jeff Corwin.

Kate, you've had your plate full for sure! Wishing the best for your DH, Justin, and YOU! I also think the Caroline's Fuel is intended to be more "metabolic" rather than pure strength building.

FN1, one of my guys has periodic "chacne" on his chin. The vet prescribed something that reminds us of stridex pads that are used to treat human acne pimples and we use those when they occur and it seems to work. I can look and see what the medication is if you are interested. We also give him lysine as he seems to be prone to allergies.

I've got more to say (of course I do), but I'll stop now!

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 10:14 AM  
ChelePA

Bee… hope you’re feeling better soon. My daughter has been quite congested with a cough also. Still testing negative for Covid. No fever or anything. So glad you liked the push-up hack. Definitely helps support my arms/shoulder/chest area. I have a tendency to not have proper form when I feel weak. This really helps mentally and physically maintain proper alignment.

Cataddict… I always thought when Kat said advanced she meant tricky choreography. I never felt that her cardio was advanced. I see she’s doing some interval workouts with weights also. Did you try the new release?

Kittybug… thanks for the positive words about my return to driving. I know you can completely understand since you’ve been in a car accident yourself. I think mentally I was OK because physically I was struggling with range of motion and pain in my leg. Trying to figure out proper positioning etc. I only stayed local. I think driving country roads will be a challenge. Even probably the highway in the beginning. Baby steps.

I know we can’t get political but today I did a Speak Up ride. The instructor has a series of classes based on this theme, and just recently released a book also based on this concept and her life. This class was done right after George Floyd. A few takeaways that are so true in any situation. Of course she talked about change and growth. The concept of empathy hit home with me. Really putting yourself in someone’s shoes and his/her reality and not your perspective on the situation. It’s definitely finding balance in life as I know many of you are too empathetic. She ended with the song Peace Train. Never give up hope. So true!

I also did 10 minutes of core. 10 minutes full bodyweight strength followed by 20 minutes of full body using medium weights.

It’s going to be a hot one here today! Enjoy your day!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 10:42 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Hump day!!

Yesterday was Pure Barre Lowry Lofts 1 for which I got to use my Pilates ring but I also substituted a ball for some things that were just plain awkward with the ring. I think my ring is larger than the one they're using! Hoping the dang plumber shows up today, sheesh.

Bee, hah on the cancelled appointment. Made the decision for you! I think your son going into a trade is a great idea but you do have a good point about hiring others to do the hard work as you age.

FN2, I would LOVE to know the name of the med for the 'chacne'!! I seriously have to wonder because none of these issues with the kitties started until we had to let poor Lenny go with the angels...is it a form of stress from that I hadn't considered before??

Chele, oye on the country roads and highway driving, yes, baby steps indeed! And I saw that about the heat so many of you are getting, yikes! Stay cool!

Waves to all!

Old 06-15-22, 11:25 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Chele - Yay on driving again! Congratulations! And, sorry about the DH's sore back. I hope all goes well for your nephew.

kittybug - I can never understand why contractors fail to return calls or don't even show up. That happens way too much anymore.

bee - I hope you are feeling better!

I think I may be over-training lately. I'm tired! Ahem, I did another 7+ miler the other day. I love my walks so much, but there can be too much of a good thing. I've been doing the same loose rotation for almost 3 years and I really should re-think it with the new workout options I have now.

So, maybe light workouts, stretching and foam-rolling the rest of this week.

Yes, the heat.

HUGS!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in