Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-16, 02:27 PM  
sherry7899
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Sue- thanks in advance for reviews. I only have the guided Virtual Active dvds. I did not want them without instruction.
__________________
"Say you are tired and you will be. Believe you are strong and you are." (Sean O'Malley)

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 02:34 PM  
DeepSeaSue
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Sue- thanks in advance for reviews. I only have the guided Virtual Active dvds. I did not want them without instruction.
It makes me sooooo sad that they discontinued the guided option. I understand that it saves them money but it's just not the same
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 02:54 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter
 
Lisa C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
The latest Sufferfest video might be close to what you want.

http://thesufferfest.com/collections...the-other-side

It does have a rider on the screen often, so it is not like those virtual videos, but you sometimes get the view of the rider. It is a combination of around 7 big mountains in Europe, and the rider explains the mountains and towns.

The music is indie and good. But you could still enjoy the workout with the sound off, because there are written instructions on the screen.

There is some guided direction to the workout, but it is more of an endurance workout, not typical Sufferfest hard. There are little pop ups with info on the screen about the mountains and towns, so if you had the sound off, you can still learn about where you are riding.

It is different than the other Sufferfest workouts, and I hope they do more like that.
__________________
Lisa C.
Lisa C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 02:57 PM  
dakko
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thanks! I was wondering if anyone had tried any of these.
Ugh. Not sure why I was surprised, but it did surprise me that the 'scene' is that of a camera mounted on the front of a skateboard. No glances to the side. Nothing. 80-90% pavement and lots of dead grass. That about sums it up.

Every once in awhile there would be something interesting coming up on the horizon, but you never could get a glimpse of it as you got closer.
dakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 10:02 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter
 
Mopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: central New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
The latest Sufferfest video might be close to what you want.

http://thesufferfest.com/collections...the-other-side

It does have a rider on the screen often, so it is not like those virtual videos, but you sometimes get the view of the rider. It is a combination of around 7 big mountains in Europe, and the rider explains the mountains and towns.

The music is indie and good. But you could still enjoy the workout with the sound off, because there are written instructions on the screen.

There is some guided direction to the workout, but it is more of an endurance workout, not typical Sufferfest hard. There are little pop ups with info on the screen about the mountains and towns, so if you had the sound off, you can still learn about where you are riding.

It is different than the other Sufferfest workouts, and I hope they do more like that.

I've been looking for something like this. Is it chaptered in any way, so I can pick and choose my hills du jour?
__________________
Louise
Mopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 03:27 AM  
DeepSeaSue
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I've been looking for something like this. Is it chaptered in any way, so I can pick and choose my hills du jour?
No, sadly, Sufferfest's aren't chaptered and most are pretty long. IIRC, The Other Side is 90 minutes. I love The Sufferfest and the only thing that would make them better is chaptering....sometimes I'm not up for a 90+ minute ride! But they have shorter ones available, too.
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 08:15 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter
 
Mopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: central New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaSue View Post
No, sadly, Sufferfest's aren't chaptered and most are pretty long. IIRC, The Other Side is 90 minutes. I love The Sufferfest and the only thing that would make them better is chaptering....sometimes I'm not up for a 90+ minute ride! But they have shorter ones available, too.
I don't think I've *ever* done a 90 minute ride (indoors, anyway ). I have a few Spinervals which I do in sections, choosing chapters to add up to whatever length workout I want to do that day. Keeps it somewhat varied.

Thanks - I'll keep looking.
__________________
Louise
Mopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 09:17 AM  
geojill
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Colorado
Check out Virtual Active - Bit Gym. Bit Gym is an app. I use the regular non-guided downloads and listen to my own music, but I think Bit Gym has guided ones as well. There was a thread about it yesterday.
__________________
Jill
"Don't follow your passion...Always take it with you." - Mike Rowe
geojill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 10:12 AM  
Chomper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Thanks for all the info. Very happy your blog exists DeepBlueSea!

ETA: ack sorry I got your name wrong, DeepSeaSue!
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 05:44 PM  
DeepSeaSue
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Thanks for all the info. Very happy your blog exists DeepBlueSea!
Aww, thank you! I have to update it--I have the reviews for the newest Sufferfests and VA's written and ready to be uploaded. And when I get the Ambients this week, I'll upload the reviews of those.
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycling dvd, scenic views, spinning

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness