Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-24, 07:50 AM  
JustSandra

Barefoot and On the Mat April 2024 -- All Welcome!

Hi! Welcome to this month's check-in for Barefoot & On the Mat. This is a long-running check-in here at VF. We enjoy all sorts of workouts, and although we of course love those that are traditionally done barefoot (e.g. yoga, Pilates, fusion, etc.) we have been known to shuck shoes for stuff like weightlifting as well. Some of us like to post daily, while other Barefooters pop in and out as their circumstances permit. It's all good! Please feel free to join us -- the welcome mat is always out.

VF has been behaving very well, but I will also set up a backup April Barefoot check-in at VF Roost/Tapatalk just in case we need it!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-24, 07:57 AM  
JustSandra

Today I am three weeks post right knee replacement surgery. Recovery has been more intense than I anticipated, but I'm making steady progress. I'm doing assigned PT exercises plus adding in seated upper body and core work. I also take short little outside walks around my complex using either a walker or a cane. However, within the house I'm moving pretty well with no walking aids. Can't drive for another few weeks (the knee is still stiff and swollen). Today, though, I'll be going with my brother to our gym and plan to use the stationary bike there. My first outing since surgery!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-24, 09:26 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Happy Moan, Day, ladies! I hope everyone had a happy Easter or just generally a nice spring weekend.

Saturday:
~ 10 minutes silent meditation (day 16)
~ GYM for 15 minutes treadmill and 45 weight machines
~ 6,334 steps

Sunday:
~ 12 minutes silent meditation (day 17)
~ Quick beach walk
~ 1.10 mile walk at osprey trail
~ Kassandra 20 Minute Bedtime Stretch & Relax
~ 6,346 steps

It was good to get out finally but it was SO windy and I got chilled quickly. The beach was out of the question, we lasted about 10 minutes. It was actually hard to walk into the wind.

Sandra, thank you for starting the April check-in. Good luck for your debut post-op gym workout.

Cyana, too bad about the apatite. I saw a beautiful flame piece at the crystal store but forced myself not to go there. Did you see Lee's April Fool's prank? LOL I almost bought it. Wouldn't it be nice, though.

Waves to all!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-24, 09:43 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Mari Winsor's Lower Body Pilates (Trim and Tone Thigh Workout)
Jackie's Essentrics class

Sandra, thank you for starting our April month!
Let us know how riding the stationary bike feels on your knee that you had surgery on.

Pat, what was Lee's April Fool's prank?
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-24, 09:54 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Happy April! It was chilly and rainy yesterday here, with heavy rains during the night. Not a typical Easter in the Sonoran desert--its usually much more mild if not a bit hot.

Sandra, you are doing so well with your recovery! Don't overdue it at the gym!

Here was my week last week:
M: Cellercise-Fat Eradicator
Tu: Nothing
W: 10 min AM Cellercise (my own freestyle)
Th: 13 minute AM Cellercise (programmed), evening walk, 10,000 steps
F: 13 minute Cellercise (programmed), 30 min b3 Strength
Sa: 15 min Cellercise (freestyle)
Su: 12 min Cellercise- Advanced Aerobics, 30 min b3 Flow

I've discontinued my I Jump Instead subscription, as it is expensive (though it offers a lot in return), and I want room to bring Barre3 back into rotation. I'm still loving the combo I have going between Cellercise and b3; I feel like I'm getting everything I need between the two in about 30 mins a day. Trying to get a walk in each day as well, but last week was sparse on the walks.

Side note: I had my lab work done and everything looks really good--lipids, inflammatory marker (that was just barely elevated), blood sugar and all. I have Hashimoto thyroid, and for the first time my TPO antibodies were not elevated AT ALL (although, I'm still on medication). I''m so pleased to be getting this good report at my age. I'm attributing it to the exercise and adjustments that I have made nutritionally. My esophagitis seems greatly improved too. This is all so motivating to continue. The only other thing pending is the dexa scan, which I will have in June. Fingers crossed on that one!

Have a good start to the week, all!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-24, 10:21 AM  
cyana

Good Morning. I'm not moaning today, since I'm off, so tomorrow will be Double Moan Day.

Mon (so far):
MSTF
Sit to hover x 20 reps
Down dog to plank x 20 reps with 10 second holds at top and bottom
Child's pose to modified up dog x 20 reps with 10 second holds at top and bottom
Heel to toe rocks with hard heel strikes for bone health
Heel to toe standing balance with forward stroke x 30 and back stroke x 30 w/torso rotation - one set with each foot leading
Holden 30 Day Challenge - Day 1

I may do something else later today - will depend on how much walking DH and I do when we run errands.

Sandra - Thanks for getting us started. Hope your first trip to the gym goes well and you find stationary biking to be good for your knee.

Pat - Lee's team always comes up with creative April Fool's Day emails and some are very convincing. I'd vote for this one! I may get a couple of bracelets from Ethan at Merkaba Warrior, since I have a discount code from my last order. I'll let you know what I decide.

Paine - I hope your grandson is back to 100% and that no one else in the family became ill. The April Fool's Day email is that Lee is starting a new political party - the Qi Party. Here's the link: https://www.holdenqigong.com/lee-hol...-the-qi-party/

Gale - I'm glad you're continuing to enjoy your Cellerciser. I need to have labs soon. I was off thyroid medication last year when I had the profile done and numerous values were whacked out. I'm back on medication, but it's always been a challenge to optimize my levels. If you're comfortable sharing, I'd love to know what nutrition changes made a difference. I ate some organic tortilla chips the past couple of weeks, and I don't think my body was impressed. I'm also considering going dairy free for at least 30 days to see if it makes a difference with my joint pain. Decisions, decisions.

I'm debating over whether to sign up for Lee's Blue Dragon workshop this coming Sunday. While YMAA is having a 50% off sale, I may purchase the remaining Holden DVD's that I don't have. I'm hoping they still give you a code that you can give to the Holden site to get that video added to your Holden video library (it enables you to stream it from Lee's site, which would be convenient for me, since I have numerous videos and workshops in my Holden library).

Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-24, 11:58 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Paine, Lee sent out an email that he was starting a new political party, the Qi Party. At first I thought "oh this is ridiculous" but it didn't hit me to the end it was an April Fool's prank. It got believable when he talked about starting sessions with him leading Congress in a qigong routine and certain members gave him push back, saying it was un-American - which made it sound believable! I'm sorry to learn your grandson has been ill, and I hope he is feeling better.

Gale, great news on your results. I'm sure your healthy lifestyle helps - good for you.

Waves all!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-24, 12:41 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana and Pat, that was a cute April Fools joke from Lee!

Pat, my daughter texted me this morning and said that my 4 year old grandson now has the stomach flu. Poor little guy.

Gale, that's wonderful news about your good lab results. Keep doing whatever you are doing!
Hearing about your good results and enjoyment of your Cellerciser makes me regret getting rid of my Bellicon when I lived in Alaska.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-24, 07:07 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Pat and Cyana - I love the Qi Party joke! Also that the idea of qigong making the world a better place is not a joke.

Sandra - That’s great that you’ve been out to the gym. I hope that your recovery continues to go well.

Paine - I hope your grandson feels better soon.

Gale - Congrats on the checkup results!

I haven’t been out of my apartment building since I saw the doc about the stress fracture and started wearing the moon boot. I can't drive, but I live near transit - I’ve just been too tired to go anywhere! Exercise is harder than usual too, but I feel better if I can keep up a routine.

I’ve re-started doing a session from Lee Holden’s 30 Day Chi Challenge before my morning workout or yoga practice, and I joined the April challenge group for that. I wasn’t sure that I’d be able to do it, but at this point I can do some standing work as long as I don’t move around too much.

31 Mar
35’ - YT Senior Shape: Chair Yoga Stretch for Everyone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pciXaO4wtug

1 Apr
AM
50’ Barlates - Beginner Mat: Glutes + Standing Barre: Arms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=wy5JX27W6jY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKb7qvsY8MU
PM
30’ - Yoga with Kassandra: Gentle Chair Yoga + Raviana Meditation: Breath Purification
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DYH5ud3zHo

Beginner Mat: Glutes - I was able to do this workout with the help of a 6-inch step (all fours position) and the High Step (resting my calves on it for bridges). Fortunately I have all these gadgets! This is slower-paced than her usual workouts and it worked well with the extra weight load. I plan to do other workouts from the Beginner Mat series this week. I did Standing Barre Arms seated, which also works well.

Raviana: Meditation - I hadn’t used this DVD in several years, mainly because I usually do silent meditation on my own. I plan to do more meditations from this DVD, as it will give me something different to work on while my activities are restricted.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-24, 07:41 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I've been having pain issues with my shoulder. I found a way to alternate meds to lessen the pain. Surgery is a month from tomorrow. I'm excited to get rid of this awful pain and the rotator cuff. After surgery the rotator cuff will be gone and I won't be able to tear it ever again.

I use Cubii everyday. I started alternating days of Tai Chi and Qigong. DDR and Lee. Great combo. Today was Tai Chi Fit Flow.

Sandra - I hope you had a good time on the bike. Try not to do too much too soon.

Gale - congrats on having good labs. I fought cholesterol and thyroid changes for too many years. When I had to change the things I ate my numbers and my thyroid straightened out. Iron is low but I'm supplementing. I'm glad you got a good report.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote