Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-22, 11:25 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Lightbulb "Most Important Exercise for Seniors to Master" (not what you think!)

I ran across this Margaret Martin video today. It was interesting. She states that, of course, squats are important. But, she is focusing on calf strength. She demos a progression of calf exercises - weighted and unweighted. The one-legged ones look good!

Most Important Exercise for Seniors to Master

For hill walkers and hikers, those calves get you up the hills!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 11:44 AM  
Gams

Interesting and I think it’s good to exercise all your muscles, but I still think squats would rank above calf exercises.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 12:09 PM  
Gams

Just wanted to add that because this is aimed at seniors, things like getting out of chairs and cars and bath tubs would be of major importance. I’m impressed that my soon to be 90-year old mother still takes baths with no aids to get in and out of the tub plus she still gets down on her hands and knees to scrub floors.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 12:52 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Interesting video. I think this is another case of YMMV as heaven knows my calves get plenty of work but I think she makes a good point of not neglecting calves in favor of the larger hamstrings and quads.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 03:42 PM  
bfit

I can testify that the calves go fast if you don't use them. I was laid up with a broken foot for 3 months. I was able to do floor work for the quads, glutes, hamstrings, and so on, but I did not use my calves much, if at all. It's been almost two years since my injury, and my calves and ankles are still weak and creaky. You don't realize how much you use them until they don't work.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 03:44 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’m impressed that my soon to be 90-year old mother still takes baths with no aids to get in and out of the tub plus she still gets down on her hands and knees to scrub floors.
This is awesome.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 04:09 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I can testify that the calves go fast if you don't use them. I was laid up with a broken foot for 3 months. I was able to do floor work for the quads, glutes, hamstrings, and so on, but I did not use my calves much, if at all. It's been almost two years since my injury, and my calves and ankles are still weak and creaky. You don't realize how much you use them until they don't work.
This is so true! I had reconstructive foot surgery and also had my calf muscle cut to lengthen it and was non weight bearing for 7 weeks before I could gradually start walking again. My calf muscle atrophied shockingly fast. Like where the muscles were was just loose skin.

I showed DH when I felt the absence of the calf muscle and he blurted, "cool!" I burst into tears because I was so upset. I'm still working daily on building it up now (six months post-op).

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 04:22 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
This is so true! I had reconstructive foot surgery and also had my calf muscle cut to lengthen it and was non weight bearing for 7 weeks before I could gradually start walking again. My calf muscle atrophied shockingly fast. Like where the muscles were was just loose skin.

I showed DH when I felt the absence of the calf muscle and he blurted, "cool!" I burst into tears because I was so upset. I'm still working daily on building it up now (six months post-op).

Erica
Same thing happened to me when I broke my ankle. I was using my left leg to hop around but my right leg had no weight-bearing for 8 weeks and wow, did my right calf atrophy! There was a definite difference in size from my left. And, yes, I still work my calves (and ankles) daily, after almost 2 years post-surgery.

Donna
Old 06-18-22, 05:59 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Vintage, thanks for this! Great stuff.
Old 06-18-22, 07:19 PM  
fatkat555

Calf work = barre, releve

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, calf strength, calves, margaret martin, melioguide, squats