Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-22, 04:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
They started coming by to see the house. I’m worried someone won’t investigate and give the scammer money. It only takes one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
You'll have to put a sign up in front of your house that reads:

House NOT For Sale!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
There was a story on our local news awhile back about this kind of scam. Scary stuff! I wonder how the scammers decide what house to target for sale? I hope no one falls for it and I agree that I would put up a sign that says House NOT for sale! Maybe notify your local real estate agents association in case they get calls? Crazy!
This is real and simply hoping for someone to investigate might be too late.

i would report it to the police immediately and file a report. next, whether or not you have an existing loan, contact the bank and let them know what happened and how you can prevent your home from being fraudulently sold.

i would caution against going online and getting protection because it's hard to know which protection service is legitimate, so talking to the bank will be safer.

your home information, your name, tax map key, even detailed loan information can be obtained by thieves. some information is public info, and the rest can be obtained on the dark web.

also, try googling your address with the words "house for sale" and see if your home pops up as being listed.

good luck.

edited to add: found this on Quora:

What legal action can I take if someone sells my home without informing me?

scroll down a little to see the answer - one of the replies mentions checking the county register to see whether any deeds to your home have been transferred to someone else.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 06:53 PM  
LAC

I don't know if all counties in NYS do this, but the county clerk's office where I live offers property owners the option to sign up for fraud alerts so that if anyone files a deed or mortgage or other documents under your name, you receive an email alert so you are made aware and can look into it right away.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 07:53 AM  
DCW

Thanks for the information!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 09:26 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
Sorry this happened to you. It’s sad how susceptible we are. Someone has been impersonating me and trying to sell my house for cash. Hopefully, no one falls for it.
This is terrible.

If someone fraudulently signs a deed and it is recorded, that deed would have to be voided. You would most likely have to bring a court case to do so, and file criminal charges as well. There may be special procedures, depending on where you live, to prove to the county’s recording clerk that the deed is fraudulent and have it voided. A court order would be the most likely route. You may want to notify the county land records clerk of what is going on, and see if you can be notified of a deed presented for recording, before it is actually recorded. I also suggest calling your title insurance company and speak to one of the attorneys there. Most people purchase title insurance when they buy a home, which insures you against obtaining fraudulent title and claims against title. It generally applies to the title you acquire, but I suggest calling them to see if they can offer you any suggestions regarding protecting you in this situation.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 09:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I recently moved to an apartment complex and am stunned at all the people who throw their Amazon/Chewy/Whatever boxes in the dumpster without removing the address labels.

Yup, I'm making a judgment. I judge that these people are clueless!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 02:24 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I recently moved to an apartment complex and am stunned at all the people who throw their Amazon/Chewy/Whatever boxes in the dumpster without removing the address labels.

Yes! I always rip off mailing labels before I throw out boxes.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 10:08 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:

A lot of people don't think about identity theft or realize that thieves get info from going through discarded mail.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 05:34 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:

Count me as one of the clueless. I shred all my junk mail but why would one need to remove labels from boxes? My address is on my house for everyone to see. What am I missing?

My credit card was used at an AT&T store in Miami. Luckily I have all my alerts set up and was alerted immediately. I called and had it cancelled. What a pain…I spent way too much time last night switching all my auto pays over to another credit card.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 08:11 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Count me as one of the clueless. I shred all my junk mail but why would one need to remove labels from boxes? My address is on my house for everyone to see. What am I missing?

My credit card was used at an AT&T store in Miami. Luckily I have all my alerts set up and was alerted immediately. I called and had it cancelled. What a pain…I spent way too much time last night switching all my auto pays over to another credit card.
Tracy, I believe the exposure is that the labels associate your name with your address.

For awhile, it seemed that one of my credit cards was constantly being compromised---one within a month of replacement. Yes it's a PITA. My old card was denied by someone trying to charge something in Brazil. For awhile I got alerts almost daily about the old card but not so much anymore. I guess the thieves have realized it's not an easy target.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 08:31 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Tracy, I believe the exposure is that the labels associate your name with your address.
Oh, I see thank you.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credit reports, identity theft, privacy, security, social security numbers