Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-21, 07:36 PM  
Bluebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
This past weekend I listened to Cecily Tyson's memoir Just As I Am on audio cd. It was absorbing and each disc seemed to end in the middle of something interesting, so I wound up staying up late to listen to more. Didn't do much for my ability to stick to my sleep schedule (LOL!) but definitely worth hearing.

Her story reminded me that I'd wanted to read Tina Turner's Happiness Becomes You, and the library system has several copies, so that's where I'm headed today.

Guess I haven't checked in here lately? Thought I had, but maybe the lack of sleep had me typing that elsewhere.

I'm reading Mary Stewart's Crystal Cave and Buddhism without Belief at bedtimes now that life is back to normal.

I've also picked up the habit of reading various philosophical texts when I wake up too early, it's a gentle way to start the day. My latest experiment with improving my sleep hygiene involves this sort of reading, but I don't let myself get up TOO early. Gotta get enough actual rest each day.
I just love those Mary Stewart books. Have not read those in years. Should dig those out.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 08:13 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
I just love those Mary Stewart books. Have not read those in years. Should dig those out.
I'm really enjoying the first one. It's amazing to think how long ago I read these. Wow, has my life and perspective shifted since then, LOL!
Old 11-01-21, 08:18 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I'm reading Mary Stewart's Crystal Cave and Buddhism without Belief at bedtimes now that life is back to normal.
I liked Buddhism Without Beliefs; my favorite book of that type was probably No-Nonsense Buddhism. My current bedtime read is by Buddhist meditation teacher Sylvia Boorstein, That's Funny, You Don't Look Buddhist; in this one, she talks about her experience being both a Buddhist and a Jew.

I have the book Beyond Your Bubble from the library and briefly started it last week; my plan was to take that up when I finish the Boorstein book.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 10:07 PM  
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I liked Buddhism Without Beliefs; my favorite book of that type was probably No-Nonsense Buddhism. My current bedtime read is by Buddhist meditation teacher Sylvia Boorstein, That's Funny, You Don't Look Buddhist; in this one, she talks about her experience being both a Buddhist and a Jew.

I have the book Beyond Your Bubble from the library and briefly started it last week; my plan was to take that up when I finish the Boorstein book.
I also recently read and liked Buddhism Without Beliefs. Currently reading Jack Kornfield's The Wise Heart. He has a lot to say. Sylvia Boorstein's name keeps coming up, I am going to read one of her's next.
Old 11-01-21, 11:07 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Just finished "the Chain" by Adrian McKinty. Pretty good mystery/thriller. New England folks may have visited a few of the locations, like me! Not especially believable story, but good escapism and quick read.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 07:19 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I also recently read and liked Buddhism Without Beliefs. Currently reading Jack Kornfield's The Wise Heart. He has a lot to say. Sylvia Boorstein's name keeps coming up, I am going to read one of her's next.
I think I read The Wise Heart? I have several from Jack Kornfield so I'd have to check my shelf. I really like him too, although he tends to repeat some of his stories throughout his books and CDs.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 09:11 AM  
DCW

For a different pace and enjoyment of a good story, I have started reading some children's books. I am finding some very talented illustrators too.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 10:53 AM  
DD546

My internet went out last week, so I've been reading even more than I usually do. Last week I read N is for Noose (Sue Grafton). I'm working my way through these gradually. I didn't read them as they were released. I really like Kinsey. Six Years (Harlan Coben). Coben books are always a quick read for me. I liked this one ok. I really like his Myron Bolitar series, and I read his recent release Win, which is sort of a spin off featuring Myron's best friend. Chelsea Girls (Fiona Davis). I love her books! I think my favorite is The Doll House, but I really liked this one. The Last Thing He Told me (Lauren Dave). It was a good page turner suspense novel. The Rope (Nevada Barr). This is part of the Anna Pigeon series, which I really enjoy. This was a prequel of sorts. I liked it, but there was an implausibility factor for me.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 12:17 PM  
Schnauzeritis

Chelsea Girls (Fiona Davis). I love her books! I think my favorite is The Doll House, but I really liked this one. The Last Thing He Told me (Lauren Dave).

I just started The Dollhouse. I read The Address and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of her books. Have you read any Diane Chamberlain? She's similiar to Fiona with the dual time lines. Big Lies In A Small Town was great.

I have The Last Thing He Told Me on hold. Can't wait to read this one, heard lots of good things about it.
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 03:30 PM  
DD546

I have not read any Diane Chamberlain. I'll check her out.

I think I've read all of Fiona Davis's books. Chelsea Girls doesn't have the dual timeline like I think all of her other books do, but I enjoyed it.

If you like dual timelines and historical fiction, Lauren Willig has a series that I refer to as "the flower books." I think they are referred to as "The Pink Carnation Series." They are very entertaining and fun mystery/spy/light romance. I was sorry that she ended the series, but it was probably a good time.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading