Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-21, 02:17 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I'm reading The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 02:23 PM  
Erica H.

Finished Yours Cruelly, Elvira: Memoirs of the Mistress of the Dark. The first 2/3 or so really seemed to drag but I thought it was a lot better at the end. Or maybe I was just feeling good about being almost done. I knew almost nothing about Elvira or the author and was surprised at how successful she was and how much she had done during her career. I had no idea.

Just started Set the Night on Fire by Robby Krieger (guitarist for The Doors) and really like it so far.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 02:59 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I finally started reading a new novel, Chris Bohjalian's The Double Bind. I think the only thing I've read from him before was The Midwife, years ago. I am not far into the new book but like it so far.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 03:09 PM  
patrice
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
I'm reading The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.
I recently read this book. I really enjoyed it. I just finished The Lincoln Highway. Also a very good read.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 03:44 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’m reading “Maid” by Stephanie Land.

It’s the book that the Netflix series is based on. I binge watched the show and thought Andie McDowell and her daughter did a great job on the acting. The book is from her journal but the movie is a lot different (but similar circumstances sometimes). I was able to get the kindle version of the book for $2.99 but Amazon has since raised it to $11.99!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-21, 08:39 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I finally started reading a new novel, Chris Bohjalian's The Double Bind. I think the only thing I've read from him before was The Midwife, years ago. I am not far into the new book but like it so far.
I just recently read The Midwife and thought it was very well written. I think I'll look into other books by Bohjalian.

I'm currently reading Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith. I love this Cormoran Strike series, I read them all right after the other.

Does anyone have other suggestions for long character driven crime series? I can't seem to get enough lately.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-21, 10:31 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Finished Yours Cruelly, Elvira: Memoirs of the Mistress of the Dark. The first 2/3 or so really seemed to drag but I thought it was a lot better at the end. Or maybe I was just feeling good about being almost done. I knew almost nothing about Elvira or the author and was surprised at how successful she was and how much she had done during her career. I had no idea.
Same! Once she got the Elvira gig the pace really picked up. I loved the section about owning Briarcliff Manor. Happy that she has found some peace in her life.

I also finished listening to The Amulet of Samarkand yesterday and enjoyed it, though the magician kid remained hard to like right up to the end.

I still need to read a book recommended by a librarian for the Reading Glasses podcast challenge, so hoping to pick up the graphic novel Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi today, which I've been meaning to read for years.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-21, 11:15 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I just recently read The Midwife and thought it was very well written. I think I'll look into other books by Bohjalian.

I'm currently reading Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith. I love this Cormoran Strike series, I read them all right after the other.

Does anyone have other suggestions for long character driven crime series? I can't seem to get enough lately.
I like this Tracy Crosswhite series by Robert Dugoni. There are 8 books so far and they’re available on Kindle Unlimited, if you subscribe:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...api_tkin_p1_i4
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-21, 08:06 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I like this Tracy Crosswhite series by Robert Dugoni. There are 8 books so far and they’re available on Kindle Unlimited, if you subscribe:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...api_tkin_p1_i4
Oh thank you for the recommendation. This does look good!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-21, 08:26 AM  
BunnyHop

This past weekend I listened to Cecily Tyson's memoir Just As I Am on audio cd. It was absorbing and each disc seemed to end in the middle of something interesting, so I wound up staying up late to listen to more. Didn't do much for my ability to stick to my sleep schedule (LOL!) but definitely worth hearing.

Her story reminded me that I'd wanted to read Tina Turner's Happiness Becomes You, and the library system has several copies, so that's where I'm headed today.

Guess I haven't checked in here lately? Thought I had, but maybe the lack of sleep had me typing that elsewhere.

I'm reading Mary Stewart's Crystal Cave and Buddhism without Belief at bedtimes now that life is back to normal.

I've also picked up the habit of reading various philosophical texts when I wake up too early, it's a gentle way to start the day. My latest experiment with improving my sleep hygiene involves this sort of reading, but I don't let myself get up TOO early. Gotta get enough actual rest each day.

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading