Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 12-22-14, 02:13 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

what cookies did you bake this season?

Tollhouse Chocolate chip (double batch)
Lotsa Oatmeal Cookies (this is a large batch)
Peanut Butter (from the mix)
Blondies
Melting Moments

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 08:10 AM  
sherry7899

Jeanine-yum!!! I'm not big on the traditional sugar cookies-I prefer anything with chocolate, peanut butter, peppermint and red velvet.

I do not do traditional rolled out/decorated cookies. I am good at baking, but I stink at rolling out dough and decorating. I stick to drop cookies and bar cookies.

These are not all for our house Actually, hardly any are for our house. I am making cookies for three families, our mechanic, a friend and for Christmas dinner at my MIL's. I reserve the right to change my mind about anything below if I run out of time or energy, though.....

I made dough for these recipes from Sally's Baking Addiction, and I will bake them tonight or tomorrow:

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...-chip-cookies/

I also made dough for chocolate chip m & m cookies from Sally's cookbook

I baked these:

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...sugar-cookies/

I will be making these:

I will be making these with white chocolate chips:
(red velvet chocolate chip cookies)
http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...-chip-cookies/

Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies:
http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...chunk-cookies/

Fudge Brownie Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Bars:

I will make the homemade cookie dough, but I am using a mix for the brownie layer. I don't have all the ingredients for that layer.

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...p-cookie-bars/

These are for my MIL, who loves pecans:

Butter pecan cookies

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...pecan-cookies/

If I have time, I will make brownies (mix) frosted with peppermint patties, and Heath bar chip cookies for my SIL.

I picked up a mix from Target for chocolate cookies topped with chopped peppermint. I will probably make those as well. They are kind of a backup since I don't know if they will be good or not.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 09:18 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Oh now I want to try several of those recipes, Sherry!

I tried making my Grandma's date nut swirl cookies for the first time. They are a bit of work to cook up the date mixture, then roll out the dough, spread the mixture on the dough, roll up, chill, slice and bake. If I do say so myself, they came out really great, and looked pretty, too.

I also have been big on molasses cookies this year for some reason, and baked a few batches of those.

Now looking to see if I have time/ingredients to do some of the recipe that Sherry posted....

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 09:41 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, have you made the red velvet cookies from the Joanna Fluke books? They are very good! I did them last year.

Jeannine, I try to do different cookies every year, although I often work in recipes I've made before. This year, I've already made Anise Drop Cookies--these were supposed to be made several weeks ahead of time to let the flavors meld, so they're in the freezer now. I chose them b/c I thought that the flavor would be similar to pizelles (which I also did last year). Today I plan to make Fruitcake Cookies, which I've done before but not in awhile, and Shortbread, which I love but haven't made in a LONG time. I also chose these cookies b/c they are easy--the Fruitcake Cookies are bar cookies, and the Shortbread you cut into bars. I hate rolling out cookies or rolling them into balls!

Tomorrow I am making gingerbread from a recipe that was in the Chocolate-Covered Katie blog. This will be a little hostess gift for my MIL on Christmas eve and for our friends on Christmas day.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 09:54 AM  
BunnyHop

I made LOADS of biscotti and mailed them all off to friends.

Realizing that the house was cookie-less just before the holidays, I made a batch of Nutmeg Noels last night with multicolored sprinkles instead of colored sugar. (They're basically a nutmeg snickerdoodle with colored sugar and nutmeg on the outside.)
Delicious, and just what I was wanting.

Will probably bake some more, but since my family is mostly traveling elsewhere this year, am going to try to rein it in so we're not left with mass amounts of cookies just for us. Temptation, self-restraint, moderation and all that.
Old 12-22-14, 10:18 AM  
sherry7899

Beth-I have not tried Joanne Fluke's recipe-thanks for the tip!

Gale-you cannot go wrong with any recipe from Sally's site. They are all fantastic! She gives very detailed instructions with photos.

Sherry

Old 12-22-14, 10:20 AM  
Sissy B

DD is going to make Snickerdoodles and I'm making Hello Dollies (also known as Magic Cookie Bars).
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 10:29 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Jeanine-yum!!! I'm not big on the traditional sugar cookies-I prefer anything with chocolate, peanut butter, peppermint and red velvet.

I do not do traditional rolled out/decorated cookies. I am good at baking, but I stink at rolling out dough and decorating. I stick to drop cookies and bar cookies.
yes, ITA. sugar cookies are nice, but too much work. too much mess to clean up. and did i mention the humidity?

it is cold here in December, but not cold enough to allow the dough to sit out while you roll it out. and, not many cookie connoisseurs are necessarily looking for the sugar cookies to eat - they want chocolate, they want the unusual, etc.

one thing i always enjoy eating when someone else makes it is party mix. one year i made that, and never again! it took up too much space. and it was pretty expensive when you compare what you get with cookie output.

one year i made biscotti, and that's a pretty good one to throw in too. i might do 1 batch of it. not sure yet if i will.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 12-22-14, 10:32 AM  
sherry7899

Jeanine-there are recipes on Sally's site for Chex mixes. I haven't tried them. I am sure they are really good, but I'd rather have cookies and brownies

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/tag/chex-cereal/

I have never made biscotti-if you want to try a new recipe:

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...mond-biscotti/

Sherry

Old 12-22-14, 10:33 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Sherry, have you made the red velvet cookies from the Joanna Fluke books? They are very good! I did them last year.

Jeannine, I try to do different cookies every year, although I often work in recipes I've made before. This year, I've already made Anise Drop Cookies--these were supposed to be made several weeks ahead of time to let the flavors meld, so they're in the freezer now. I chose them b/c I thought that the flavor would be similar to pizelles (which I also did last year). Today I plan to make Fruitcake Cookies, which I've done before but not in awhile, and Shortbread, which I love but haven't made in a LONG time. I also chose these cookies b/c they are easy--the Fruitcake Cookies are bar cookies, and the Shortbread you cut into bars. I hate rolling out cookies or rolling them into balls!

Tomorrow I am making gingerbread from a recipe that was in the Chocolate-Covered Katie blog. This will be a little hostess gift for my MIL on Christmas eve and for our friends on Christmas day.
i made pizzelles last month for the bake sale at work. but i don't put anise in mine - i make them plain.

i like making pizzelles, but you have to constantly sit by the baker! i use a timer, but you do have to still make sure you don't get distracted.