Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-12, 11:06 AM  
Tish

Please don't say that since you feel the hard work that I should REALLY be feeling it. (hint hint Jackie Warner). Not all of us are getting off the couch for the first time.
Old 12-16-12, 11:09 AM  
Tish

And another, if the music is louder than your voice, that's a problem. I won't keep the workout if I can't properly hear you.

I'm on a roll here. Don't stop the workout to chat! It disrupts the flow and gets the reps off.

Okay, I'm done.
Old 12-16-12, 11:26 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

1. Every workout should have a modifier. If the workout is advanced or has high impact moves the modifier is showing less intense options. If the workout is more beginner or all low impact, the modifier is showing how to make it more challenging. In a weights workout have the modifier showing the move with different equipment and/or lighter weight.

2. Every workout should have premixes included that are both longer and shorter than the original workout. The amount of time I have to work out changes and I hate having to eliminate a workout based solely on the length of time.

3. Every workout should be well chaptered! 'Nuff said.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 11:28 AM  
loverly7

Oh boy, I'm not sure I can stop at just three!

1) What is done to one side of the body is done to the other side of the body in equal counts. This has to be my number one pet peeve and I refuse to use any video that is "crooked" on their counts.

2) I want the ability to push menu or fast forward through ALL intro crap on a DVD. I know I can get hurt if I don't use equipment properly or if I don't have my physician's okay. I don't need to see the same thing every time I try to start the workout. At least give me the chance to menu out or FF.

3) Modifiers that I can see. It is not helpful for there to be a modifier if I cannot see what they are doing!

And in this utopian world, I'm having more than three laws, so I want more.

4) Good music in every video. It makes all the difference in the world.

5) I want real information about all those people who are saying their results with your product. I want to know if they had surgery afterwards and how long the weight loss took them.

I will be kind and only do five new laws for the start of the year. But woe to those that do not follow my laws!!!
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 11:34 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

First: No bright lights shining from behind you that are pointing at me. It gives me a headache and it's just not necessary.

Second: No waterfalls, fountains (or running water of any kind.) I think you know why.

Third: Think about how many background exercisers you really need. I can't see you if there are 20 people on the screen at once. One or two modifiers (Kari Anderson, KCM) are nice but I've seen solo instructors (Tracie Long, Jessica Smith) provide enough verbal or visual clues to make it work.

And I will happily back the laws asking for a light airy sets, decent packaging and only the necessary amount of talk/instruction.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 11:44 AM  
Sissy B

Good music - it really makes all the difference in the world to me.

Don't drag out every piece of workout equipment that you own for one workout. Focus on one or 2 things at a time. For example, I'm okay with dumbbells and select a piece of equipment of your choice (this could be a step, a bosu, a stability ball, a barre, etc.), but I really don't want to have to get out any more equipment than this for a workout.

Good chaptering and premixes.

And please, no chatter or stupid stories. Leslie - I hope the baby from WATP is sleeping through the night now - he's got to be at least 11 or 12 years old. And I don't care that Lynn is a grandmother. I'm sure you're lovely in person, but shut up already in your workouts. You get on my last nerve.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 11:55 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
1. Every workout should have a modifier. If the workout is advanced or has high impact moves the modifier is showing less intense options. If the workout is more beginner or all low impact, the modifier is showing how to make it more challenging. In a weights workout have the modifier showing the move with different equipment and/or lighter weight.

2. Every workout should have premixes included that are both longer and shorter than the original workout. The amount of time I have to work out changes and I hate having to eliminate a workout based solely on the length of time.

3. Every workout should be well chaptered! 'Nuff said.
I think these are good ones....I am big on modifiers for impact purposes, or if low impact options are suggested that is helpful too.

Premixes are really nice to have, but chapters are huge in my book. It's nice to be able to skip around if need be.

I will steal another one from another poster. Uneven rep counts drive me up the wall, it never used to bother me but now I can't stand it. While I like Denise Austin, she is an offender of this law and I don't really do her weight workouts anymore because of it. Too bad because she uses really nice scenery...she is a little chatty too for my taste.

I will add that one too, I don't mind some chatty but don't overdose on it either!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 12:10 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Put how long the workout is, in a visible place on the package.
Inform me if that includes the warm up and cool down - how long each of them is, too, please.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 12:14 PM  
JP44

I went w/ 10 Commandments length. Sorry.

1. Don't film a workout if you're tired. Your lack of energy comes thru loud & clear & sucks all the fun out.

2. Use the weights you expect your target audience to use for the workout and base that on actual experience, not what you personally use or what a total beginner would use.

3. Don't put push ups or burpees in the warm up. Ever.

4. I don't need premixes or chaptering on every workout BUT I want a clear break at the halfway point for a 60 min. workout so I can bail if I want but not feel lopsided. (eg. Don't work only the right leg during the first 30 min. & the left leg during the second 30 min.)

5. Put a mix of people in the workout! I like seeing diversity on screen, not just 3 blondes AND a brunette.

6. Don't keep telling me this is the best system ever during the workout. I bought it. You already sold me.

7. Don't exaggerate how hard the workout is during the presale or during the workout. And, don't exaggerate the actual length of the workout. (53 < 60)

8. Wear workout clothes, not lingerie or bathing suits.

9. No voiceovers.

10. No talk about how this workout will improve your sex life. Ugh.

Is that too much to ask?

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 01:11 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

1. Give equal time to both sides of the body.
2. No body parts hanging out of clothing.
3. No acting as if we are lucky to be hanging out with the "cool" kids. I'm not in junior high.
4. Look like you are enjoying your own workout or we won't!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i wish, laws, new year, utopia