Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-12, 08:02 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

What video workout "laws" would you like to see enacted before the end of the year?

The clock to the New Year is clicking down!
Sitting in your Supreme Ruler of Video Workouts throne, what are three ya-gotta-do-as-I-say laws that will go into effect at 12:00:01 January 1st, 2013?

1. Music for videos (for the good of all) is royalty free (we will make it worth it for the artists/writers some wonderful way in our Utopia).
2. Modifiers, modifiers, modifiers.
3. Chapters, chapters, chapters.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 08:45 AM  
Sara1000

Great question!

No more repeating the same word or phrase throughout the workout.

However, give a clue of how many more reps to expect in a set.

Tell us what is coming next so we know what size weight we want to get.

Do not combine moves that use heavy weights with shoulder work, as many of us go very light on the shoulders.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 08:54 AM  
sbh

No use of the words, sexy, hot, supreme, naked, booty, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure there are other words that should be added to this list.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 09:12 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Instructors - treat your video as if it will be used often and think about what you yourself would want to see & hear over and over...

If you have to include lengthy or detailed instructions, please put them in a separate chapter. If the workout's good I'll want to do it over and over again so I want minimal cuing and I *don't* want to hear the same blah-blah instructions multiple times. Even intros bother me. Don't tell me your name and introduce me to your background exercisers. Save that for the special "intro" chapter which I'll just watch once. If I use your video often I won't want that stuff repeated each time.

Same goes for jokes. Even hilarious ones aren't funny the 10th time, so no thanks!
ETA - To clarify the above I *always* appreciate cheerfully good-natured and humorous instructors who are having fun and get a little silly now and then (hi Kelly!); I'm talking specifically about JOKES.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 09:51 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
The clock to the New Year is clicking down!
Sitting in your Supreme Ruler of Video Workouts throne, what are three ya-gotta-do-as-I-say laws that will go into effect at 12:00:01 January 1st, 2013?

1. Music for videos (for the good of all) is royalty free (we will make it worth it for the artists/writers some wonderful way in our Utopia).
That's my first one My other two:
2. A disclosure statement of any and all plastic surgery
3. Performance-enhancing drug testing

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 10:00 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

Allow experienced users the option to skip the medical disclaimer and long product introductions. Are you listening GAIAM???

Ban cardboard packaging!!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 10:08 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Instructors
If you have to include lengthy or detailed instructions, please put them in a separate chapter. If the workout's good I'll want to do it over and over again so I want minimal cuing and I *don't* want to hear the same blah-blah instructions multiple times. Even intros bother me. Don't tell me your name and introduce me to your background exercisers. Save that for the special "intro" chapter which I'll just watch once. If I use your video often I won't want that stuff repeated each time.
Amen, amen, amen. I do appreciate form reminders in the middle of the exercise, but if I've done the workout more than once, I really don't need a lengthy set-up. I also don't care what everyone's names are. I've got limited time. Let's just get to it.

I'll add another law: all streaming workouts should also be available for permanent download.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 10:10 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Here's another one: don't tell me I can eat whatever I want just because I've done your workout. IT'S A LIE.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 10:22 AM  
Breezy Trousers

No more dark sets -- only light, airy happy sets, please! (Jari Love, why can't you listen to your fans the way that Leslie Sansone has?)

No crappy music. If you do use crappy music, I'll forgive you because that's where my mute button comes in. However, consider following Toby Massenburg's classy lead in Chiseled & use no music at all. We'll live.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 10:30 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Don't say that your workout is the only way I'll get into shape and everyone else's way stinks.

Don't feel that your voice needs to be heard every single second of your workout.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i wish, laws, new year, utopia