Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-01, 11:12 AM  
Margaret Mary
VF Supporter

Another infrequent poster

I used to post under the name "Peggy T" but there were about three Peggys with initials in the old forum...so I thought I'd use my real name this time in order to be more of an individual. I still may not post enough to become noticed, though!

I've been working out consistently for about three years, actually more if you count walking and hiking, but I stopped working out for the last two months because we moved to a new house and there has been so much work to do with it. Then last week on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving my son and I were rear-ended while stopped in traffic and I suffered great neck pain due to the resulting whiplash (my son is sixteen and never missed a beat). Well, the pain is pretty much gone today, and I think it's because my body is fairly flexible and strong due to the workouts, even though I've never gotten to an advanced level in anything. This is the kind of result I really appreciate.

I like Pilates and bellydancing, I still love to walk and hike, and I'm starting to do Yoga. I love this forum because it is always an inspiration. I hope the new software encourages the kind of community that VF has always provided, although I'm a little uncomfortable about the list of posts organized under our names. I'm pretty shy and I liked the idea of my posts eventually disappearing!
Margaret Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 02:59 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

I discovered VF about two years ago and never had access to the forum or exchange lists (office firewall problem) and was SO excited this week to be able to get in here! I guess our office firewall doesn't have an issue with this software.
Anyway, I'm 42 (43 next month) and have been seriously committed to working out for the last 6 years. The company I work for used to provide work out space and an instructor. That stopped a couple of years ago and I didn't want to go a gym. That's when I discovered videos and have been hooked ever since.
Thanks to all of you who have written video reviews (I was able to get to that part). I've depended on them so much when making decisions about what to buy.
I live in southern Ohio with my husband, two boys and various pets. I work out in the evening as soon as I get home from work. I wish I could do mornings but I've tried and I'm just not coordinated that early.
Annette
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 04:22 PM  
Judy SP

I'm 44, married to my soul mate (second marriage for both of us) for 4 wonderful years. We share our home with Smokey & Samantha, brother and sister children of the feline variety. My husband has a wonderful daughter who has given us a beautiful and bright grandson who is 3 1/2 years adorable. We live in a suburb of NYC. I work in the information technology field for a Wall Street firm. In my spare time, I love babysitting for our grandson, reading, gardening, knitting, crocheting, cooking and baking.

I've worked out to videos since the mid-80's (lots of Jane Fonda) as well as to TV shows: Joannie Greggains, Bodies in Motion....I've worked out fairly consistently, with a year's hiatus due to torn cartilege in my knee, surgery and a very, very long rehab. I found VF in 1998 when my tape collection consisted of Jane Fonda, Gilad's Step & Tone and Cher's A New Attitude. Thanks to WWWendy and the great folks at VF, not only do I have well over 100 videos) but fitness has become interwoven into my life. I've expanded my fitness horizons and even started running last year. I ran my first 5K (the Race for the Cure) in Sept. 2000! My favorite instructors are Christi, Cathe, Patrick and Andre. Give me a dancy step tape and I'm in heaven.

I'm currently battling some injuries that have made 2001 a less than stellar fitness year for me - biceps tendonitis and AC impingment on my right side and some tendonitis in my ankle - but I'm looking forward to a healthier and fitter 2002.
Old 11-30-01, 01:24 AM  
AnneMac

I can't even remember how long I've been lurking, but now seems a good time for me to post.

Hi, I'm Anne. I teach English in a university in northern Japan. Like Barbara F., I teach ESL (EFL, in my case) and I have an MA in linguistics (but I didn't have to write a thesis). And I'm from Louisiana (New Orleans) like Meredith. I'm 36.

I got into videos when I discovered that there is quite a lot of snow on the ground for about 6 months out of the year here. This made my usual walks impossible and I gained a ton. On home leave, I found a video by Karen Voight (Strong and Smooth Moves) and I brought it back. I still remember feeling exhausted and ready to give up and then she said, "OK, now we're done with the warmup."

Thanks in a large part to VF, things went uphill from there. By reading reviews here I discovered Kari and Gin, both of whom I love. I also found the Firm, which actually makes strength tapes I don't loathe.

Working out is still a challenge in this country. I can't find weights the right size--they go up to about 2 pounds. Forget about a barbell. I had to send a step from home. I'm thinking now about importing a tall box--I use my coffee table now and I'm afraid it will collapse one day.

Nice meeting all of you.

Anne
AnneMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-01, 08:13 PM  
Fitnik
VF Supporter

Thumbs up Okay - a bit about me also !!

Okay, I normally post at the Firm Forum but:-

1) This new format is so much better than the previous VF forum
2) the FF is down today and I feel very isolated
3) You are a great bunch and some of you are familiar names from FF!!

I use VF reviews when buying all my tapes and they haven't let me down so far!

I'm 28, married (nearly 4 years), live in London and am an attorney. I'm a huge fan of interval cardio training and have seen awesome results from it. I work out 6 days a week and was an athlete when I was at school - now I just work out to look good and stay healthy!! I've only been working out to videos for a year - before then I poo-pooed video workouts as not being up to scratch but yet could never be bothered to go to the gym ! I'm a mesomorph and can get away with v little strength work so kept in shape by running/jumping rope. I discovered home videos when having a stressful time at work and realised I needed a stress-reliever - I now have over 200 tapes !!

I like the Firm (Classics mainly), Karen Voight, Gin Miller (LOVE INTENSE MOVES !!) mainly.

Okay, that's it for now !! This is such a great new format compared to the old forum - much easier to read !!

Fitnik
-----------------------------------------
"When all is said and done, I hope that my legacy will be that I was a survivor, a woman who was her own person and persevered time and time again"

- Vanessa Williams
Fitnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-01, 07:01 PM  
Helene Lionakis

Smile G'day

Dear Becky D,
what have you started here?
Can you believe we are still introing ourselves two weeks later!
I found this community last year when I was doing a search on fitness
and I've been hooked ever since. I came out of lurking once or twice
but am determined to take a more active part.
Well, anyway, I'm Helene from Melbourne, Australia.
I'm 40 and will have been married for 3 years next February.
I'm a high school teacher.
I teach ESL (English for migrants) and languages (mainly Japanese, French, Greek and Spanish)
I used to exercise inconsistently without putting much heart into it.
Then, one day, at the age of 35, I was doing some window shopping at looked my reflection in the mirror and realised I had to do something
both looks and healthwise, so I joined a gym and made a commitment.
The commitment only lasted a year because gyms just really aren't my thing
Later, I got married, moved away and where I live now, there is no gym.
Then I discovered fitness vids and VF!
I have been exercising with videos for two years now
I love it because I can tailor the workout to suit my needs and I don't have to leave my house.
I live near the beach ( a 30 sec walk) so I get up in the morning and go
for a run and then come back and do a vid or two.
I can't believe how much energy I have afterwards and what a difference it makes to the rest of my day.

I just love it
Helene Lionakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-01, 01:37 PM  
Bonnie Shaw

Hi everyone!

Hi, I've been a half lurker/half poster since September of this year. I'm a 32 yr old (soon to be 33), stay at home mom, I've been married to Danny for 9 years and we have a daughter, 5, named Cheyenne. I also have 5 dogs and 3 cats lol. I live in Clarksboro, NJ which is near Delaware in the southern half of the state, although my dream is move to the north west someday. I've been working out since I was 19, my first video was Jane Fonda's Low Impact tape (still have it), my favorite instructors are: Cathe, Tamilee, Gilad, Kathy Smith, Billy Blanks, Keli Roberts, Karen Voight and Charlene Prickett. I like cardio and strength videos the same, then comes yoga, pilates and streching type videos. Hope to get to know more of everyone as time goes, this is a great site, glad to know there are others out there who love videos like me. Happy Holidays!
Bonnie Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-01, 02:37 PM  
farren12

Hi, I guess it's time for me to de-lurk. I just recently started working out again after a bit of a hiatus... a really *long* bit of a hiatus. I'm a 45 year old (46 in a little over a week) homeschooling mom. I've been married to my best friend for almost 21 years. We have two boys, ages 10 and 7, and two cats.

The hardest part about starting over is that I remember where I was and then overdo it. I'm working hard at doing what I can do now, not what I was doing 2 years ago. My favorite instuctors are Keli Roberts and Gin Miller. I also like Kathy Smith. I mostly do step because we don't have room for much of anything else. I'm also doing some strength and trying to get out for walks and bike rides with my kids.

It's really important to me to stick to it. I look around and see some of the older folks in my neighborhood. Some of them will walk to the store and bring back a bag or two of groceries (my 80+ neighbor, for example) while others can barely walk from their car to the house. I want to stay strong and healthy as I grow older and I know that's not possible unless I exercise regularly.

Jill
farren12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-01, 04:26 PM  
sehkzoo
VF Supporter

Introduction.....

Hi all!

Well, this is a great idea! I am mostly a "lurker", but have been reading this site for over 2 years now! This site and all of its members have been a major source of inspiration and motivation for me! I am 42, have been married for 12 years and have 2 sons, ages 7 1/2 and 2 1/2. We live in Southwest Michigan and I work from my home for a corporate travel company in San Francisco (we used to live there!). I've been an on-and-off exerciser since Jane Fonda's original video tape! Before VF, I had no idea of the variety of exercise videos out there! I pretty much stuck with Jane Fonda, Kathy Smith and the "big" names! After my second son was born, I ordered the Tae-Bo tapes and did just that for about a year! The weight came off, and I felt great and strong, but was getting bored and ready to branch out! I went on the Collage Video site and someone on that forum mentioned VF. I came for some strength tape reviews and have been visiting ever since! This forum is so great! I have even found that I don't need to post since it seems like every time I have something to ask, someone else has just asked it and my questions have been answered! I have found over the years that I truly NEED this forum, it helps keep me motivated and also helps me learn about new things so my workout doesn't get stale!

A few of the things I'd like to thank VF for, because if I hadn't found this site, I don't think I would have tried them - Luna bars; Christy, Cathe, Kari and Firm tapes, Firm barbell, rubbermaid step box, Lipfinity!

Thanks to you all - I'm happy to know you!

Susan
sehkzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-01, 12:33 PM  
JoJo G

Returning VFer

I've never been a frequent poster but have been coming to VF for the past couple of years and it has been an incredible motivator and source of fitness education! I guess I'm more of a lurker because it seems I usually barely have enough time just to read the theads I'm interested in. I've been away from VF for awhile as I just had a baby about 2 months ago (a beautiful boy named Lance Dean)!
I'm 26 and my husband of six years is a 3rd year medical student and in the Air Force. We live in Little Rock, Arkansas. I have been a graduate student for the past 3 1/2 years studying physiology. Then I decided to go back to undergrad to become a CPA until I got pregnant and figured out I did not have the time to do that much accounting homework. So, instead I'm going back to grad school part time to study nutrition because it's fun and far less time consuming. The rest of the time I'm now a SAHM and loving it!
My hobbies are cross-stitch and movies which I don't have time for anymore! I really want to get started with scrapbooking, but I'm a little overwhelmed with how to get started. Any advice?
As far as fitness goes, I love the Firm and Cathe and owe everything to VF for introducing to real fitness videos! I've been working out about 2 years and am now focusing on post partum recovery.

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread