Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-22, 11:24 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
...Bunnyhop, did you ever specifically find out what was wrong? ... Is there some kind of sbsitute you can use when trying out the technique?...
I just assume it's part of my general lack of fitness catching up with me. I wore myself out in my father's last years of life and then slid into a big ol' depression/anxiety spiral. I had no energy and no consistent fitness plan. On top of that, I'd had a hysterectomy some years back and never really got the chance to rebuild my strength because of the endless cycle of caregiving.

I don't know what you could use instead of a club, but I'm sure an internet search would come up with something. For a long time the only ones available were REALLY expensive, so I didn't explore the idea, but eventually the price came down and I tried it. So far, so good, but I do find that I have to be careful not to use too much weight. (For me, 1-2 pounds is plenty.) Because the weight is unbalanced (by design) your hands and wrists get a fair bit of a workout, and I find that even 3.5 lbs (the weight of the handle of an Adex Adjustable Club, nothing else added) is too much for me for certain moves. My wrist tendons get achy, so I always back off and begin again.

For me, it seems to be a good gentle warmup.

A lot of Youtube videos show men using heavy clubs to do the same moves, but that's just way too much for my skinny arms, LOL!!

So long as your weight isn't all that heavy, I'd guess you could experiment with using a light dumbbell? Just make sure it's something you can keep a grip on without straining your hands and wrists. You don't want to lose control of the weight while swinging your arms.

Is this something you should consider? I've honestly no idea, but I was inspired to try it because people keep mentioning them when doing rehab work on their shoulders.
Old 06-03-22, 01:35 PM  
Karla25

Prayers for you. Here are two completely seated, safe and easy stretching workouts that I use for back and shoulder issues.

Deep Full Body Stretch

Spinal Stretch & Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Thank you, Jenilu!
With Bell's it really takes a toll mentally, when you aren't able to smile at someone. With the pandemic, I could hide behind a mask and no one knew I had any issues.
I feel for you. It's a horrible thing to go through. I got Bell's Palsy (along with a host of other issues) immediately after getting a flu shot years ago. I couldn't drink anything without it dribbling out of my mouth.
Old 06-04-22, 02:47 AM  
JENILU

Bunny Hop, Oh my goodness bless your heart. I pray there is peace in your life at this time. I am learning not to use dumbbells for things that aren't meant for dumbbells, lol. Doing things akin to that have caused me a lot of problems over the years.

Thankyou so much Karla and bless you!! I will check those out and Hopefully do one Saturday. I was ordered to rest all day today, lol, by hubby (I did walk up and down the long back steps a few times just to get circulation ok, haha) But hopefully I can view and try atleast 1 Saturday. Bless you!! I am so sorry you both are experiencing bell's palsy. Peace and love to you!! (and many thanks)

I love you all!! Happy weekend!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-22, 10:22 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
Bunny Hop, Oh my goodness bless your heart. I pray there is peace in your life at this time. I am learning not to use dumbbells for things that aren't meant for dumbbells, lol. Doing things akin to that have caused me a lot of problems over the years.

Oh, yes, I'm much recovered, but still a work in progress. Whew. Took a while, though.

Yeah, maybe if swinging heavy things isn't for you, maybe give clubs a pass. They're good, but not for everyone.

Tags
shoulder injury, shoulder pain