Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-22, 05:18 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Circe by Madeline Miller - a mythology read of all the events of the goddess/nymph Circe through her own eyes. It was fascinating. I will be reading The Song of Achilles, her other NY Times bestseller.
I'm about a third of the way through this book and realizing I'm forcing myself to pick it up and keep going. I can't put my finger on why, as it is wonderfully written. It just hasn't totally drawn me in the way some books do.
Old 02-10-22, 05:19 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by difit View Post
15th

House of Sky and Breath (Crescent City, book 2) - Sarah J Maas

I definitely won't be posting here on the 15th as I'll be binge reading this book!!
Old 02-11-22, 12:16 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I just started The Lost Art of Mixing, sequel to The School of Essential Ingredients. I love it already - thank you to whoever recommended this author!
Beth, I recommended those to you. She has two more novels. Joy for Beginners was published right after Essential Ingredients but feels more like a first novel. It involves a group of 7 women each trying a challenge posed by one of them. I suspect she had written it and then was able to get it published after the success of Essential Ingredients. It's still very good, just not quite as good. I have but haven't yet read The Scent Keeper. Seems like it will be a bit different type of story for her.

She has a non-fiction memoir-type book titled House Lessons. It covers several years when she was renovating an old house she bought in Port Townsend, Washington. Feels very personal, but I also have been to that town quite a few times in the past, so I know the type of house, the feel of the town, and even the particular view she describes. And I've remodeled or built multiple residences so it's a topic of interest to me.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-22, 03:28 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Karen Jo, I thought it might have been you but I am terrible at remembering. I will check out those others eventually!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 05:14 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Popping in with two great books back to back, which doesn't happen often:

Circe by Madeline Miller - a mythology read of all the events of the goddess/nymph Circe through her own eyes. It was fascinating. I will be reading The Song of Achilles, her other NY Times bestseller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I loved Circe! I also read SoA, though it wasn’t quite as good to me. (I know people who read SoA first, who feel that way for Circe, lol.)

I’ll have to check out your second book. Sounds interesting!
I read SoA and I absolutely loved it. I have Circe on my Kindle but have not read it yet. My DIL read both and said she liked Circe better.
I finished Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore for my book group. I thought it was good. A bit depressing but the writing was excellent. I am now reading A Burning by Mega Majumdar for my book group. I didn't care for it at first because it is told from the vantage point of 3 main characters, a style I usually don't like. However it is really growing on me and it is an easy read. I am also reading Caste by Isabel Wilkerson which is pretty heavy but someone recommended that I read it and I am glad she did. It was on my list at one point but like so many books I didn't get around to it.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 05:19 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I just finished The Book of Magic. I made it last as long as I could. I'm on long waiting lists at the library for The Pessimists and The Sentence. But I'm behind on my magazines, so I can get caught up now.
Is the Book of Magic Alice Hoffman? I have never read it but I really liked The Dovekeepers and The Museum of Extraordinary Things.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 05:31 PM  
Gams

I just finished Talk Before Sleep by Elizabeth Berg and liked it very much.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 05:33 PM  
Erica H.

I just started The Exiles by Christina Baker Kline. My first fiction book of the year. This is the third book I've read of hers and I liked the other two a lot (I am picky with fiction).

Just finished Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West. Had mixed feelings about it. Thought parts of it were really good and others not so much.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 05:47 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Is the Book of Magic Alice Hoffman? I have never read it but I really liked The Dovekeepers and The Museum of Extraordinary Things.
Yes, The Book of Magic concludes the story of the Owens witches that was started with Practical Magic and followed by two prequels, Rules of Magic and Magic Lessons. I really enjoyed the two books you mentioned too.
Old 02-18-22, 11:37 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Just finished Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West. Had mixed feelings about it. Thought parts of it were really good and others not so much.
Erica, have you read Sh**, Actually? It's her essays about movies, and while I didn't always agree with her comments, some of it made me snort-laugh out loud.

I finally finished The Secret, Book & Scone Society by Ellery Adams last night and it was ok. The writing started out well but was inconsistent, but I liked the characters (and really, really want to bake some scones). The friend who passed them along says they get better.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading