Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-22, 08:24 AM  
Erica H.

Recommendations needed for floor/seated lower body work while in a walking boot

I'm hoping for recommendations for exercises I can do on the floor or seated with a walking boot on (I'm still on crutches, though). Anything on youtube or just descriptions of exercises would be appreciated. I have resistance bands and loops and I might have ankle weights (for the leg without the boot) - I need to check and see if I gave them to my dd.

I used to have Margaret Richards Getting Better but passed it on to someone else (it was gifted to me on VHS by Jackie B. many years ago ) and she also passed it on to someone else when she didn't need it anymore.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 08:53 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I'm hoping for recommendations for exercises I can do on the floor or seated with a walking boot on (I'm still on crutches, though). Anything on youtube or just descriptions of exercises would be appreciated. I have resistance bands and loops and I might have ankle weights (for the leg without the boot) - I need to check and see if I gave them to my dd.

I used to have Margaret Richards Getting Better but passed it on to someone else (it was gifted to me on VHS by Jackie B. many years ago ) and she also passed it on to someone else when she didn't need it anymore.

Erica
Hi Erica! That video has probably made the rounds! I was kind of missing it this past month as I fell skiing and was limited to seated or lying workouts while I recovered.

I did a search on YouTube and found this seated weights workout that I did several times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K5r...el=gosimpli.ca

Sending you healing vibes and an uncomplicated recovery!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 09:16 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

When I've been out of commission with a boot I've maintained stamina with seated upper body workouts and Pilates. If you like Pilates and are okay to get down on the floor for mat work it helps a lot.

I was not able to find chair cardio that suited me, they all hurt my back or they had too much foot tapping. I belong to a gym so using the recumbent bike with my boot on was an option after the stitches came out. I just opened up the foot straps and stomped away.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 09:23 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Hi Erica! That video has probably made the rounds! I was kind of missing it this past month as I fell skiing and was limited to seated or lying workouts while I recovered.

I did a search on YouTube and found this seated weights workout that I did several times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K5r...el=gosimpli.ca

Sending you healing vibes and an uncomplicated recovery!
Thank you! I didn't know you were injured - hope you are doing better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
When I've been out of commission with a boot I've maintained stamina with seated upper body workouts and Pilates. If you like Pilates and are okay to get down on the floor for mat work it helps a lot.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.
Do you think I could do mat work with the boot? I didn't know if the weight of it would cause issues. It's so darn heavy and bulky.

Erica
Old 01-26-22, 11:46 AM  
bfit

I just finished a stint in a chair myself with a broken foot. I was not in a boot, just crutches and a knee scooter. At any rate, you could check out Paul Eugene, Caroline Jordan, and Pahla B on You Tube. They all have chair workouts. The only one of those with a lot of foot tapping is Paul Eugene, but I was able to modify by just touching my feet very lightly on the ground and not stomping. Caroline Jordan has a lot of good lower body floor work too. It might also be worth trying to buy Margaret Richards' workout again even though you will have paid for it twice. It really is made for situations like this.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 12:41 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I think you're right that doing mat work with the heavy boot would be problematic. I'd be concerned about getting off balance with any floor work until you get the boot off.

Margaret's DVD has a short seated upper body that is classic Margaret and a longer set of lower body, but I didn't find it as useful as I'd hoped in the long run as my issue is bad knees and a lot of the lower body, especially the all-4s work, didn't work with knee pain. I thought I still had my copy but I can't find it right now. I've moved a couple of times recently and still haven't found all of my give-away DVDs. It is a lovely DVD that should work for your situation.

Stott has a series of Armchair Pilates DVDs that I used when I injured a knee years ago. I've done a lot of studio Pilates in the past. There are 4, though Stott is phasing out user DVDs and I only see three on Amazon right now. They use light weights or bands. Search for Armchair Pilates as chair pilates will bring up the DVDs for the chair Pilates equipment. Also, Carol Sandry has a fairly recent 2-DVD Chair Pilates Set that I bought from Mary. One routine does have some work standing and holding onto the chair but it's not the bulk of the routine. Very nice set with brick and rough wood, well lit.

And Nadia Narain has a 2-DVD set of Chair Yoga. I have an extra copy of the older DVD from that set if you want it. The new DVD, on the same set as Sandry's Pilates, only comes as a pair with the older one I already had. Sarah Starr has a whole series of chair yoga Happy Yoga DVDs, though it takes a while for them to arrive when bought from Amazon. They're in a lot of different outdoor locations. I only have one DVD with 2 workouts, so I'm not the expert on her stuff.

When my bad knees act up and I need to do seated work one of my standbys is to do the first 18 minutes of the upper body section of Squeeze Stronger from Tracy Effinger in a chair. I go to the Upper Body chapter rather than the premix that starts with the baffling deadlifts warmup and stop when she moves on to waist work. I only find my range of motion impeded on one triceps move and not that much. I also have an extra copy of that if you'd like it.

And I have a copy of Scott Coles Active Chair Workout I could send you. I don't think I ever did that one, just previewed and decided I never would. I think it does have some work done standing and holding onto the chair, but I'm not sure how much.

I have problems with both knees and occasional foot issues, too. This stationary bike has been my savior during many times when I couldn't do other cardio. I have hundreds of miles on it, but I don't try to use it like a spin bike. I do leisurely knee-friendly rides to Ambient collection DVDs of lovely scenery. It's enough to keep me sorted when I'm having body or weather issues and a little break of peaceful mindfulness in my day so is now my most frequent form of cardio. I have this seat pad on it.

Hope you find something that works for you.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 12:56 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
At any rate, you could check out Paul Eugene, Caroline Jordan, and Pahla B on You Tube. They all have chair workouts.
Thank you! I love Paul Eugene - he's always so happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
I think you're right that doing mat work with the heavy boot would be problematic. I'd be concerned about getting off balance with any floor work until you get the boot off.

They use light weights or bands. Search for Armchair Pilates as chair pilates will bring up the DVDs for the chair Pilates equipment. Also, Carol Sandry has a fairly recent 2-DVD Chair Pilates Set that I bought from Mary.

And Nadia Narain has a 2-DVD set of Chair Yoga. I have an extra copy of the older DVD from that set if you want it.

When my bad knees act up and I need to do seated work one of my standbys is to do the first 18 minutes of the upper body section of Squeeze Stronger from Tracy Effinger in a chair. I go to the Upper Body chapter rather than the premix that starts with the baffling deadlifts warmup and stop when she moves on to waist work. I only find my range of motion impeded on one triceps move and not that much. I also have an extra copy of that if you'd like it.

And I have a copy of Scott Coles Active Chair Workout I could send you.

Hope you find something that works for you.
Wow, thank you for all the information and the generous offer to send me your extra DVDs! I do agree that I shouldn't do floorwork with the boot because of the imbalance. I wonder if I could just do my good leg or if that is a bad idea. I know it used to be frowned on to work only your good side but I think that has changed in the past few years and now it's considered to be okay.

I'm okay on upper body - I'm good at figuring out what I can do on the floor or seated. I'm just looking for resistance work I can do seated or on the floor because of the boot. I've seen some resistance band exercises where you loop it above your knees and move your legs out and back - I suppose that would work abductors and was wondering what else I can do with bands or loops.

I do have a spin bike but don't think I can use that for a long time still. I'll see my surgeon in another month and ask her if I can do it seated only with no resistance.

I appreciate your very generous offer to send me DVDs but I think I'm okay with searching on the internet for things I can do - either youtube or just exercise descriptions. Postage is so expensive now and I would use them for such a short time (hopefully!). And I haven't used DVDs in a long time - I was using youtube workouts only for almost a year before my surgery.

Thank you again!

Erica
Old 01-26-22, 02:18 PM  
Lori_Michigan

When I tore my meniscus a year ago, I used resistance bands for lower body with this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBZYQv01328

This one with dumbbells:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyn80z-LQNU

Same channel as above but more of a cardio effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy4DN_9aHIw

I eventually used my gliding disc too with some PT exercises.

Good for you for getting back at it!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 02:36 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
When I tore my meniscus a year ago, I used resistance bands for lower body with this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBZYQv01328

This one with dumbbells:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyn80z-LQNU

Same channel as above but more of a cardio effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy4DN_9aHIw

I eventually used my gliding disc too with some PT exercises.

Good for you for getting back at it!
Thank you, Lori! These are great! The dumbbell one might even be better than the resistance bands because of my operated foot and boot - I didn't even think of that substitution.

Erica
Old 01-26-22, 02:55 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Thank you, Lori! These are great! The dumbbell one might even be better than the resistance bands because of my operated foot and boot - I didn't even think of that substitution.

Erica
I ended up using a lot of different muscles doing these exercises than standing, so I was more sore than I had been used to! I alternated between dumbbells, resistance bands and loops, gliding discs, and also just lifting and holding my leg up to build up my quads again. At first I thought it wasn't doing much, but the PT exercises were much easier since I kept doing weighted exercises.

So proud of you!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chair workouts, floorwork, foot injury, seated leg workouts, seated workouts