Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-22, 11:43 AM  
bfit

Original Buns of Steel?

The original Buns of Steel with Greg Smithey is on sale today at Total Fitness DVDs. I had this once in the past and got rid of it because there was something kind of creepy about the instructor and the clothes they were wearing, but I don't remember much about the actual workout. I am more into floor work now due to some foot problems. Does anyone still use this, and what do you think?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 12:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've kept it for sentimental reasons, and it is an effective workout if you can get past the idiosyncrasies LOL. you can always mute the audio and play your own music - the moves are pretty simple and cueing is not needed.

the effectiveness of this workout is due to the long sets. you work each leg for many reps. this workout might be on youtube in case you want to try before you buy.

there are many other substitutes for consideration that have many reps for LB floorwork -
  • Karen Voight's GWW - also has long sets, is chaptered, and you can go straight to the floorwork.
  • Debbie Siebers' Firm It Up.
  • Margaret Richard Getting Better - filmed when she was recovering from foot surgery.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 01:25 PM  
alisoncooks

It is on YouTube — I know because I got sentimental the other day and looked it up, lol! He was still as lascivious as ever. I definitely vote for muting him!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 01:51 PM  
Pam

Mary has listed that she has 6,587 in stock! She has cornered the market on this DVD or that is an error.

Edited to Add: No more 500 error that wouldn't let me post this past week. Yeh!
Old 01-24-22, 01:54 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I had that BoS on VHS. It was already an old workout then. I think I did it once.

Jane Fonda's Lower Body Solution (1991 and rereleased) has an about-20-minute floor workout that is first side leg lifts then all-4 work. The floor work is just Jane and high reps. I'm always wondering if I'll be able to finish. I've never done the cardio section. VF Reviews

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 07:11 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i've kept it for sentimental reasons, and it is an effective workout if you can get past the idiosyncrasies LOL. you can always mute the audio and play your own music - the moves are pretty simple and cueing is not needed.

the effectiveness of this workout is due to the long sets. you work each leg for many reps. this workout might be on youtube in case you want to try before you buy.

there are many other substitutes for consideration that have many reps for LB floorwork -
  • Karen Voight's GWW - also has long sets, is chaptered, and you can go straight to the floorwork.
  • Debbie Siebers' Firm It Up.
  • Margaret Richard Getting Better - filmed when she was recovering from foot surgery.
Another option for this type of floor work is Ballet Beautiful or Tracy Anderson. Long sets and everything done at different angles. Just something with a different feel but the same type of effect.
Old 01-24-22, 07:30 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

Hamelin's courses 1-9 have many reps for the lower body and many Barlates workouts have many reps for the lower body.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 10:32 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I really like the lower body floor workout on Smithey's Original Buns of Steel! That is the only part of the workout that I do. The lower body floor work segment is 27 minutes (Legs = 14 minutes; Inner Thighs = 7 minutes and on all 4's is 6 minutes). It's a very effective lower body workout. I don't mind Smithey's goofy comments.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 12:18 AM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
The original Buns of Steel with Greg Smithey is on sale today at Total Fitness DVDs.
bfit, did you end up ordering?

This workout has been on my wish list for a long time, but I never got it for some reason. I think I tried it online at some point and the floorwork was too difficult or too long. I've been meaning to try it on YouTube (for the male instructor check-in). I usually reach for Winsor Pilates Bun & Thigh Sculpting when I want to do floorwork (short, effective, and no dread).
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 04:20 PM  
bfit

I ended up not ordering it. I decided to try out the other good suggestions that people made. Plus, it sounds like I can find this on You Tube if I want to try it again there.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buns of steel, floorwork, greg smithey, of steel