Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-23-22, 04:53 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

DH is having almost no more heart rhythm issues and feels pretty recovered from his procedure after 1 month, my mom was released from isolation, can visit with her friends again and has almost no cough left, it’s sunny and 60 degreesF outside at noon and the towhees and titmice prefer the shelled sunflower seeds I finally managed to get over the dry cat food for the neighborhood cat. Aside from my little meltdown over the state of the Exchange Listings this morning (See GD post - sorry, Beth) and a couple of wildfires in California in the middle of winter, life is pretty good.

Beth, I couldn’t watch that much of the Japanese Armatics lookalike due to his shirt. Sometimes having been a nurse is an impediment.

On double pigeon/firelog, I have one leg in front and the other tucked in behind it with both legs pretty much flat on the floor, then hands along the floor from back to front to lean forward with a flat back, fold my arms one on top of the other in front of my legs and put my forehead on my arms. That gives me a good stretch in my hips and low back. Is that an OK modification? I am more-than-normally flexible and have to watch that I don’t overdo and injure myself, especially if doing something that requires strength as well as flexibility. And I’m finding my Pilates background only goes so far in figuring out yoga without a teacher.

It seems a bit odd for me to give advice on warm feet given that cold here is high 20s to high 40s, but I spend all winter in thickish wool hiking socks and add silk liner socks if it’s especially cold. I used to mainly buy Smartwool and REI socks but they aren’t as warm and thick as they used to be. I like These Darn Tough Socks and will probably stick with them when I need more socks. They’re warm and durable, though not cheap.

Margo, good job on the challenge. Pam, I’m definitely envious of yoga on the beach. Anything on the beach. But sorry to hear your hip is still an issue. Sandra and Linda, good to hear things are continuing to improve and hope that trend holds. Cyana and Beth, hope work is less stressful than it can be. Pat, good luck on the workout search. “Just what I need now” is the goal. Paine, we all need an unplanned rest occasionally. And to be grateful for improved technology in so many things. Hated those sanitary belts. Hi to anyone else out there.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)

Last edited by KarenJo; 01-23-22 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Fixed the link
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 06:36 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Karen Jo, LOL about his muscle shirt - I actually liked that part, but I could see how it would bug you. I want to check out some of his other videos. I think if you manage a few yoga poses before bed, that is something. I keep wanting to do more formal seated meditation, but most days, which I manage is some mindful breathing when I first get into bed. Glad the health issues for your DH & mom have both improved!

Your firelog variation sounds fine! Really, when it comes to yoga (especially yin, but I think any yoga), if you are feeling the stretch where you want to and aren't feeling any pain (either during or after), it doesn't matter at all what your body looks like in the pose. You are absolutely right that many super-flexible people have to be careful and need to modify so that they do NOT go to their extreme range of motion, because you risk end range injuries. The other thing that is usually recommended in yin is keeping your stretch around 55-70% of your maximum (which also helps you to sustain longer).

And no problem about the Exchange Listing issue - I screwed up, and I was glad that you & Jeannine brought it to my attention.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 10:58 PM  
JustSandra

Hello!

Today's Workout: Still on my stretching binge. Today I chose the Evening Practice from Jane Adams's Gentle Yoga. Definitely mellowed me out!

This is the first day I've gone without any cold meds. Still a bit of a drippy nose and cough, but otherwise am feeling much better. However, my niece and grandniece have come down with Covid! As has my grandniece's dad and half-sister. Luckily I tested negative again this morning. My grandniece has already recovered.

KarenJo: I'm glad some positives are happening for you, although I too am saddened by the quick return of wildfires to California. I came very close to doing Jane's Lying Practice from her Gentle Yoga this evening; have put it on my mental "to do" list.

Beth: I think my body is hungry for extra stretching right now! Would like to keep this up once I add back weight work, and perhaps devote a few weeks throughout the year to just stretching/yoga.

Paine: I remember sanitary napkin belts, along with the garters and girdles. Thank goodness times have changed!

Hope everyone enjoys a great week!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 02:41 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Todays activities:
~Altar of the Heart - first 36 min. I had a lot of streaming issues, it kept pausing and I had to go back to the start and move it to where I left off. Frustrating, but a lovely practice none the less. I’ll try another day, might have been high neighborhood use as it was Sunday morning here and people are home from work.
~8 km walk around Diamond Head, 16,000 steps

KarenJo - Glad your mom & your DH are doing well.

Sandra - Love your stretch focus & I’m glad to hear you’re on the mend. Covid is everywhere, hope your family all recover soon. DH had a cold that ended up as laryngitis and a lingering cough. He’s been tested three times, twice with a home kit and once for travel. Fortunately all were negative.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 10:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Happy Moan Day! Yesterday featured:

~ GYM for 15/15 treadmill and recumbent bike
~ YWK Heart Opening Yin
~ 5,273 steps

The yin practice had a pose combining sleeping swan (pigeon) with thread the needle. It felt interesting, but I must have looked like I fell off a cliff!

KarenJo I’m so happy for you for the better health of your family. Are your hand exercises from a physical therapist?

Beth, I have to try your new pigeon tutorial soon.

Paine, yes I do remember those belts. Ugh, that rear hook thing could get really aggravating. The whole thing is aggravating, I may have wrinkles and stiff joints but it’s almost worth it not to be dealing with that anymore.

Pam, do you think your location caused the streaming issues?

Waves to everyone, be well.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 10:55 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 6 Week Transformation System (Lower Body Sculpt workout)
Jackie's Essentrics class

I liked Jessica's Lower Body Sculpt workout a lot more than her upper body workout.

Sandra, sorry about your niece and grandniece having covid. It's good your grandniece has recovered already. I hope you niece has a mild case.

KarenJo, I hadn't heard about Catherine Isaacson’s Authentic Pilates Series DVD--it sounds good.
I'm so glad your mom and DH are doing well!

Pat, I'm also glad that I don't have to deal with the monthly curse anymore! That's one benefit of menopause.

Pam, I hate it when I lose internet connection during a streaming workout--so frustrating!

I'm waving to everyone!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 01:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Pat - I know the pose you’re talking about. You feel like someone will draw a chalk outline around you before they remove your body, lol. I’m not sure why Altar was so glitchy although the internet modem has needed to be reset a couple of times. I’ll download it on to my laptop when I get home, didn’t want to put it on my tablet.

Paine - I’m glad you enjoyed Jessica’s lower body workout!

I’m off to beach yoga shortly, back to post my workouts later…..

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 01:20 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Oh, no, so sorry to hear about the positive cases in your family, Sandra. I hope everyone recovers completely and quickly.

Pam, how frustrating on the streaming issues. I hope they're just time and location related. It is such a beautiful practice.

Beth, thanks for the feedback on my yoga pose. It's one I do most days but more like for a minute or so.

Pat, the exercises are mostly from an occupational therapist I saw years ago, plus from my sister's OT (runs in the family), and things I'd gotten from books and ran by the OT. I did about a year ago find This Video from Jane Fonda on the exercises she does for the same arthritis. Most of the exercises I do are different though similar to what she does. I think her arthritis is more advanced than mine.

Paine, the Pilates DVD is very classic. She is French but now in the US. Her site is CentrePilates.net but there is not an on-line shop, just a list of what she sells at her studio. I think I bought it from Annie back when she had an online store.

I realized that on Friday I also did the 30-minute version of J. Brown Yoga for the first time. I've had it for years but started with the 7-minute routine and now just do the 15-minute version. Nothing I couldn't easily do in the 30-minute one, even when I have injuries. As long as I can do tree. Yesterday I just did my own version of Rodney's Garden routine from Yoga for Meditation and a 10-minute meditation at bedtime. Then I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night so we'll see how my day goes. But I finished the book I was reading. And my arm seems to be healed, other than a bit of stiffness from lack of use and an injury. I did bruise the arch of one foot somehow on Saturday do DH is walking the dog.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 03:19 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

KarenJo thank you so much for that Fonda video. I've been thinking of asking for a PT referral for my hands but should probably start by reviewing my Yoga for Arthritis book.

Sandra - I missed about the COVID, I'm so sorry.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 07:02 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

KarenJo, that video of Jane Fonda you posted about exercises & tools for arthritic hands is really good! I don't have arthritis but my hands get easily irritated and I don't have the strength in them that I used to have.
Sorry about getting only 3 hours of sleep. I've had nights like that too and it's not fun.
Do you like the J. Brown Yoga DVD? I've often wondered about it.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote