Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-19, 10:54 AM  
buffmama

First Marathons

Is anyone planning on doing their first marathon in 2020? I had a sudden inspiration during the summer but only had 3 months to train and ended up in PT. I'm continuing with PT and planning for next fall with much more of a build up. I'm going to use Galloway's run-walk method with 2:1 intervals and his training plan but plan to top out at 22 miles and then repeat 20 as a long slow run. And of course I'll be continuing PT the whole time. I also thought a nice flat course might be best. I would love to hear from other first timers out there.
Old 11-12-19, 10:32 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

It's been a while since I ran marathons (and with my replacement knee probably never again). I used the Galloway method for my first couple of marathons. If you live in an area that has a Galloway group that meets up for long runs, I would highly recommend it.

I actually find flat courses more challenging. It's like you are using the SAME muscles the entire time but with at least some hills, you mix it up a little.

For your first marathon, make sure you check the course time limits. You don't wan to be stressing about that.
Old 11-12-19, 12:08 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I second everything Sheila said! I've used Hal Higdon's plans and now I'm using Cardio Coach MP3s because I ran/walked. I would run during the challenges and walk during the steady state segments.

Also, make sure you work on injury prevention if marathon training is what caused you to need PT. If it's a tight ITBand, PF, or a running related injury, strengthening or stretching will help prevent it from recurring next year when you start training again.

I just did a marathon this past weekend that was a one mile/flat course in a fairgrounds, lol. Kind of like a hamster on a wheel which should have felt easy but it was actually more mentally challenging to keep count and felt more daunting than a long course!

Best wishes on your first marathon! Come back and let us know how training is going.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 02:41 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I've done half marathons, a trail half, Ragnar trail and Ragnar road and have NO desire to do a full! It's awesome you are! I lead the local chapter of a running club here (Moms Run This Town) and a lot of my members are doing their first marathons this year and next.

It's quite flat here, although the most popular marathon is a very gradual downhill. There's one that's entirely downhill and people initially liked it but now avoid it because it's so hard on your body. I personally prefer very small changes in elevation--the Lost Dutchman races are among my favorites.

I agree about keeping up with PT, and of course make sure you do SOME strength and stretching. Take breaks when and if you need to--so many of my friends have gotten injured because they try to do too much too soon and just won't take breaks to heal.

Have you already signed up for the race? Which one did you choose?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 08:48 AM  
buffmama

Thanks everyone.
Sheila, how long was your longest training run? Galloway's plan goes to 26 miles but I'm hesitant to do that distance before the race. I was thinking 22 miles should be good, than I would repeat a 20 mile long run. The time limit is 6 hours which seems manageable. Interesting to think flat races could be harder, that would have never occurred to me.
Kathy, I'm continuing with PT at home and trying to set up a reasonable and safe training program now. That gives me the time to test it out before hand as well. I'm thinking of doing NROL-Abs during training and I'm looking into some programs with more glute and single leg work. Short yoga daily should also help.
Pratima, I'm thinking a late Sept race gives me additional wiggle room with other local races 1-2 months later. My main goal at the point is to get to the starting line healthy. I did not sign up yet but since the race usually sells out I will have to. The two I think would be the easiest are on Long Island and might not be exciting but getting to the finish line would.
Old 11-19-19, 12:41 PM  
buffmama

bumping
Old 11-19-19, 01:29 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Not Sheila, but I think that one 20 mile long run three weeks prior to your marathon should be enough. If you're injury prone, those extra long runs may be to your detriment.

Here's a really great long beginner marathon plan from Hal Higdon. You can still use the Galloway Method (run/walk) but follow the mileage on this plan. It's 30 weeks long so you could start in December or January and be ready for a fall race. Building a good, strong base with running will help with injury prevention.

See below, just scroll down to see the plan. HTH.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-p...ovice-supreme/
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 07:46 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I've never longer than a 22 mile training run and typically max out around 20 miles.

Tags
first marathons, galloway, marathon, marathons