Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-23, 12:52 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

So I went to the Rec Center (gym) Today...

I had a free day pass for the rec center that expired today, so I went to check out the place. Unfortunately, there weren't any classes scheduled, so I decided to check out the cardio machines & glance at the pool. I have been having troubles with my knees, so I wondered how treadmills, etc. would feel opposed to video aerobics.

To begin, I have never tried a cardio machine at a gym. My mom had an ancient exercise bike a long time ago, & I had tried that, but it wasn't motorized or anything.

I walked by the pool, which seemed kind of small to me, but it was very pretty & inviting. I didn't have my bathing suit or anything, for me having a full time job, that would involve major planning. I put my stuff in a free locker & went off to the cardio machine/ weight room.

The weight machines looked very intimidating. I don't think I would be able to try them without some kind of guidance. Speaking of intimidating, the cardio machines weren't exactly inviting or easy to understand, either. In fact, I never figured them out!

I did try some of the cardio machines. All the treadmills were taken, so I got on the stairmill or whatever it's called. I did like it, & I could see getting a good workout on it, but it seemed like the whole time, I was pushing against a heavy weight with my feet or something. I did increase the speed, & I think it made it better, I'm not really sure. There were only 2 of those in the room, maybe they're not too popular? or too expensive?

Next up was the stationary bike. I never had any kind of a clue with regards to that thing, I do know it was boring, boring, boring. I like bicycling outside, period.

I got on the elliptical next, which I thought would be the safest machine in there. I should have known better, as there was only one man on one of the maybe 5 or 6 machines. I got on, & that thing seemed out of control to me, so I immediately stopped.

While I was trying these machines out, one of the treadmills became available. I got on that & set it up to a low speed & no incline. This was the only machine I felt that I could figure some of it out--you can change speeds &/or inclines. It was okay, fun-wise. I like walking outside much better, but that has been hurting my knees lately.

All the people in this room seemed totally zoned into their workout & in their own world. I did not feel comfortable talking to any of them, & I felt I would be a bother to ask how a machine worked. When I was leaving, there was a man standing at a table who looked like he might have worked there, it didn't dawn on me until now that I might have been able to ask him how everything worked.

When I was leaving, I inquired about their payment plan, which like the yearly membership cost, was quite reasonable. I would have to think long & hard about joining. I would like a place to swim & a place to workout with other people by going to some classes each month, but the machines did not seem to be any safer than my exercise videos, which I have been able to do with modifications.

I haven't been changing my clock with regards to DST, so I am an hour ahead of things now, & the fitness classes are too late for me to go to after work. I will try to see how the class schedule lines up with my schedule after the time changes again.

Anyone use a gym or rec center in addition to videos? How does that work for you?

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 01:28 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Jennifer my DH uses the rec center 3 or 4 times a week. There is an orientation sheet that you can fill out and request a ‘tour’ and they will tell you how the machines work. He likes the recumbent elliptical as do I when I go but I’m not sure if they have those at all the locations. There are also 2 different ‘regular’ ellipticals, one type which I call the ‘Helliptical’ as it just doesn’t work for me. Either I’m too short, my legs are too short or something. The other ellipticals work fine for me. Please feel free to PM if you have any questions.

It’s definitely a great value! I keep saying I want to take a class but it hasn’t happened yet.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 07:39 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think you needed some guidance. It can be intimidating when all the stuff is unfamiliar.
Old 02-01-23, 02:56 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Thanks for your replies. If I decide to go back again, I will look into getting an orientation first. For now, video workouts rule! (But we all knew that )

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 08:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i second the comment about scheduling a tour/orientation. the first time i ever joined a gym with my roommate, an employee at the gym gave us a good tour. You also might Google "gym etiquette" for do's and don't's.

i remember once using the hotel gym in the Disneyland Hotel. i made an audio tape of The Firm Tough Tape 1 and played it in my walkman while working out (this was in the 90s before smart phones and MP3 players).

while in there, at least 6-7 different people came in there (mostly males) and had no idea how to use the equipment. even free weights - they would pick up a set, do 10 bicep curls, and then leave! it was kinda comical.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 08:47 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

If you have never worked out in a gym, you definitely need to have someone show you how to operate the machines or you could really hurt yourself.

I used to belong to gyms and enjoyed it until I discovered home exercise DVDs (and now video) back in 2009 when I started P90X. I haven't been to a gym since 2012 and don't miss it at all.
Old 02-02-23, 10:05 AM  
donellda

Most gyms that I have dealt with have someone that will show you how to use the equipment. When I worked at an all women's gym, we had 3 "show throughs" where we took the clients through the equipment before they could use it on their own. I have had similar experiences when I was a gym member. It is much safer for everyone and makes the experience less intimidating.
Old 02-02-23, 10:14 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

wanted to add that our local YWCA's staff person was usually in the weights room during peak periods and introduced herself to people. i thought that was really nice although i had already been attending the gym for many years. the Y is always a welcoming experience whether you're new or a veteran.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-23, 10:35 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
Anyone use a gym or rec center in addition to videos? How does that work for you?
I thought of a thread from a few months ago, "Does anyone here also belong to a gym?"--I especially remember it because I've been slowly working on a reply. [I've posted it!)

My quick answer: I have a gym membership. Things divide fairly neatly because I've never had a fully appointed home gym (and don't plan to, for a number of practical reasons), and I like the access to settings and equipment that are unavailable or otherwise more impractical for me at home.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit

Last edited by hch; 02-08-23 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Added link to new post
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-23, 10:58 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

You've received so many helpful answers. I would just add, bring something to take notes when they show you around the machines. Especially with the weight machines, if they have adjustable components such as seat heights, jot down the settings that your guide will make to accommodate your personal needs. Or take photos.

Have fun! I love gym machines, every since my Nautilus gym days in early 1980s.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym, gym membership, gyms, ywca