Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-23, 05:32 PM  
warriorprincess

I think having the perfect jumping shoe is a worthwhile goal!

Saucony's have always fit my feet best, but I don't love this last pair that I've been using for plyo. I dug my jump rope out of the bottom of the closet recently, but I haven't actually used it yet.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-23, 09:07 PM  
Leonana

I have Sketchers Memory Foam and they work well for walking at work, and keep my feet from hurting. Although, I haven’t jumped in them. That might startle the kids lol.
Old 02-20-23, 09:49 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
If I can, I try to buy at least three pairs at a time of a shoe I really like. I wear a 8 1/2 wide. Finding shoes in half sizes and wides, not to mention with adequate cushioning for my hips and knees are a challenge, so when I find a great pair I buy multiples
Bubbles, we're practically the same size - I'm 8 1/2 with a wide toe box, although an actual W is usually too big for me. If you have favorite brands, let me know!!!

I just went shoe shopping today, although not for fitness shoes. I went to a shoe store that carries pricier brands (e.g., Clarks, Taos). I got a brand new to me, Alegria - they are very comfortable (plenty of toe box room!), have great arch support, and look cute with jeans:
https://alegriashoes.com/collections...-twilight-shoe

A few weeks ago I saw a cute pair of Sketchers at TJ Maxx that I might go back to get (in the tan color):
https://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Be-Y.../dp/B08SWD8662

I am also trying to replace my shoes that don't fit!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-23, 05:18 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Bubbles, we're practically the same size - I'm 8 1/2 with a wide toe box, although an actual W is usually too big for me. If you have favorite brands, let me know!!!

I just went shoe shopping today, although not for fitness shoes. I went to a shoe store that carries pricier brands (e.g., Clarks, Taos). I got a brand new to me, Alegria - they are very comfortable (plenty of toe box room!), have great arch support, and look cute with jeans:
https://alegriashoes.com/collections...-twilight-shoe

A few weeks ago I saw a cute pair of Sketchers at TJ Maxx that I might go back to get (in the tan color):
https://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Be-Y.../dp/B08SWD8662

I am also trying to replace my shoes that don't fit!!!
I am the same size too with same toe issues. For the Alegria’s, what size did you go with? Since, there’s no half sizes? 38 fit ok? Or 39?

Thanks!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-23, 08:54 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
I am the same size too with same toe issues. For the Alegria’s, what size did you go with? Since, there’s no half sizes? 38 fit ok? Or 39?
Good question! I got the 39, which is marked on the box as size 9. They don't feel too long, and they aren't too lose at the ankle (which happens to me sometimes when I get enough toe room!).

ETA: I've found that with other shoes, a 39 is sometimes considered to be an 8 1/2, so this seems right to me.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-23, 01:10 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Good question! I got the 39, which is marked on the box as size 9. They don't feel too long, and they aren't too lose at the ankle (which happens to me sometimes when I get enough toe room!).

ETA: I've found that with other shoes, a 39 is sometimes considered to be an 8 1/2, so this seems right to me.
Thank you!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-23, 01:30 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i tagged this thread with "jump rope" as there are several threads that discuss shoes. Ropix Shoes seems to be mentioned several times.

after doing some jump rope DVDs with Michael Olajide, i highly recommend his short segment regarding ground surface, shoes, warming up and technique.

takeaways:
the surface you jump on is very important. he recommended mats specifically designed for jumping. i just double or triple layer my puzzle mats on top of a carpet, carpet padding, and then the concrete slab that my home is built on. attention to ground surface is especially important if your home is built on a slab.

shoes: VFers mention Ropix a lot. other ideas to consider is using shoes that either boxers or basketball players use since those sports require a lot of fast jumping.

warm up:
Michael takes some time to point out specific stretches he does for the soleus and shins.

He spends time on proper technique to prevent injury. short, efficient hops are the proper way to jump.

tripping: If your feet are tripping on the rope, take the time to make sure the rope is the right size for your height: step in the middle of the rope with feet together, and the ends of the handles will be right in your armpits - anything longer is too long.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-23, 02:03 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i tagged this thread with "jump rope" as there are several threads that discuss shoes. Ropix Shoes seems to be mentioned several times.

after doing some jump rope DVDs with Michael Olajide, i highly recommend his short segment regarding ground surface, shoes, warming up and technique.

takeaways:
the surface you jump on is very important. he recommended mats specifically designed for jumping. i just double or triple layer my puzzle mats on top of a carpet, carpet padding, and then the concrete slab that my home is built on. attention to ground surface is especially important if your home is built on a slab.

shoes: VFers mention Ropix a lot. other ideas to consider is using shoes that either boxers or basketball players use since those sports require a lot of fast jumping.

warm up:
Michael takes some time to point out specific stretches he does for the soleus and shins.

He spends time on proper technique to prevent injury. short, efficient hops are the proper way to jump.

tripping: If your feet are tripping on the rope, take the time to make sure the rope is the right size for your height: step in the middle of the rope with feet together, and the ends of the handles will be right in your armpits - anything longer is too long.
Thank you so much, Jeannine! This is so helpful! I never thought of basketball shoes! I will definitely follow up on your suggestions.

I think most of the time if I trip it's either bc my mind wandered or bc I'm getting fatigued. My dad helped me size my rope when I got it. My old rope was too long and not adjustable.

I would love to get a jump rope mat but I'm just using my regular surface of cement floor, puzzle mats on top and carpet remnant over that. Maybe I should buy another set of puzzle mats to put down just when I jump rope. That would be cheaper than the jump rope mat.

You gave me great things to consider and I really appreciate it!

Thanks to all for your replies!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-23, 02:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Vannie - i just stack my existing puzzle mats and jump within the square. i've gone up to 3 mats stacked on top of eachother (on top of carpet, carpet pad, then concrete slab).

the best surface i ever had was when we lived in a house that was built on low posts and wooden floors. i only needed 1 puzzle mat on top of the carpet/carpet pad.

i can jump with shoes and barefooted. i just make sure i have a soft landing in any case, bending my knees slightly and absorbing the impact in my abs.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-23, 02:32 PM  
Vantreesta

The rope doesn't hit the edges of the stacked puzzle mats?

I just got some minimalist shoes and tried jumping in them once, but it was when I was trying to complete a challenge before it was no longer available so I did 21 workouts in 10 days. That wasn't the best time to try a non-cushiony shoe! But you have me thinking, if I can cushion/soften my surface more, maybe those shoes would work.

I've never thought of the abs absorbing the impact. I'm gonna have to pay attention during my next workout! Thanks!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jump rope, ropix, shoes, shoes for high impact, shoes for plyo, sneakers, workout shoes