Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-28-23, 04:54 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Ellen - Arms & Abs

Dog walk - the weather was nice today, not too cold and not windy so my Golden got treated to a longer walk

wishiwasinhawaii - glad you got more PT. I know I have become more sedentary from working at home - I do try to move around more but it is hard. I was thinking today when I walked my dog that I should do the whole loop every day - no matter the weather. I guess that is easy to say on a nice day like today. But I read somewhere that even getting up for a minute or two every hour is better than just sitting there. I do try to do a formal workout in the morning, a walk in the afternoon and a little something at the end of the day. But there is a lot of time spent just sitting, too.

Sherry - I agree, I like to have a formal workout done and then just do some add on stuff throughout the day.

Pam - you are getting some great use out of your TM!

Hope everyone has a nice evening.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-23, 09:43 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

We were having company this evening, so I had to get the public spaces in order, lol.

Only had time for a quick 25 minute TM walk and this took place on a farm in MA, with the topic being about "mindful eating." It was a pretty good talk and she spoke about not associating food as "good" or "bad" and making yourself feel like crap if you eat something that isn't so healthy (cookies, pizza, etc.) Tell yourself that you'll do better the next time and move on to make better choices. Look at food in a different way and treat yourself in a loving way by giving your body nourishing foods. She was walking in a vegetable garden and began picking a purple bell pepper. Now I'll be on a search to find a purple one, ha!

So, with regard to food I baked "healthier" oatmeal cookies this morning. No butter or white flour this time. Used coconut oil and oat flour, instead. Not nearly as good and DH was not a fan, LOL.

Now that I'm retired, I sit too much as well. But, I have stairs I'm climbing up and down all day. And, I've really been focusing on getting on the TM when I don't have an outdoor hike that day. I know how different it was when I worked at a job and it's hard to fit everything in. Some days you have to give yourself grace when you can't exercise each and every day. Life gets in the way....sometimes.....family commitments....work commitments, etc.

wishiwasinhawaii and Sherry, glad your injuries are much better!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-23, 01:47 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I tried out one of Improved Health's workouts on You Tube -

All in One Exercise Workout for Seniors & Beginners - 51 min

Overall, I really liked it.

It was set up as a circuit with 2 min cardio 1 min of strength. I believe you go through 10 cycles so you end up with 20 min of cardio.

There was a complete warmu-up and cooldown included. Abs and Balance work were done after the cardio/strength cool down and a chair stretch followed the abs.

The music was decent - pop-ish tunes - stuff you hear in other workouts on You Tube these days.

Jules did cue in this workout but it was very simple so she didn't talk much.

The cardio was not a choreographed routine. The cardio was set up where you do one move for 60 seconds, then move on to another cardio move for 60 seconds. TBH, I found that a bit too long. I would have been happier if she did 4 cardio moves in those 2 minutes - at 30 seconds each. BUT the good new is - b/c you are going for time and at your own pace, you can do that on your own -and make up your own cardio moves to do if you get tired of the moves she is doing. Some were ok for 60 seconds, but i don't like to do 60 seconds of knee lifts, for instance, as that can stress the hip flexors. You can also modify this workout up - go faster, use larger range of motion, use some light hand or wrist weights or even use a step for some of the cardio. So, it does provide lots of options and room to grow.

The strength stuff was one min of basic exercises, squats, bicep curls, triceps, etc. There was one move where she did chest press on a chair - my set up wouldn't work for that so I went to the floor. She mentioned you could also do push ups there.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this and would do more from her channel in the future. I think I previously did one of her walks but this is my first time trying one of these workouts.

She definitely seems to hit all the important parts of exercising for older people - cardio, strength, balance, mobility, etc. And these are important elements for all people!

And, it seems you can modify her stuff up or down as needed, which is also nice.

Will be back later for personals, I have to get some chores done and maybe take a nap, I'm so tired today and it is so dreary outside.

Donna
Old 01-30-23, 08:48 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone

Today, so far:

Improved Health - Workout to ABBA - this was just fun w/ the music. Low impact aerobics, pretty basic, no talking. It was about 30 min.

Improved Health - One Month to a Stronger You -Day # 1- this was back, biceps and a little bit of shoulders. I liked the way she did this one - it was slower paced so you can work on good form and really feel the weights. I used 8's, 5's and 3's. She ended w/ a 15 second plank - I have the feeling that by the end of this series you will be holding a plank for 60 seconds.

Yoga w/ Kassandra - 10 Min Morning Stretch - I think this was from last week. She does tend to name her workouts similarly so it is hard to figure out from the name which one is which.

I think for February I'm going to to do Improved Health's strength program -it is 10-15 min of strength training 5 days a week. Strength training is my least favorite and this seems like an easy and painless way of getting it done - and, who knows, I may enjoy it eventually.

So, the goal for this month (February) is 5 days of strength and 5 days of cardio a week. Will do other add ins as well.

I like the shorter strength workouts and the 5 day a week plan - b/c if I get off track it is easy enough to double up one day or use the weekend to make up workouts.

Anyway...it is a Monday...

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 01-30-23, 10:27 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I went to Philadelphia yesterday with my family to see a basketball game. It was quite a wild experience because the game was right next to the stadium where the Eagles were playing. We couldn't find anywhere to park and the subways were packed, so we ended up having to park somewhere that was an hour walk one way. I can't remember the last time I walked that far! It was fun though, but scary at times because some people were drunk and behaving badly.

Anyway, I'm taking today off from walking since I did so much yesterday, but the good news is my knee held up and feels good today.

Donna, Are you still fully WFH? Have they said anything about returning to the office? Improved Health's workouts sound interesting so I will have to check that out.

Sherry, Glad to hear your injury is feeling better! As far as getting some movement in during the day instead of one workout, that does make sense. I just have to get better at doing that!

Pam, Hope you had fun with your company last night! As you said, it is tough at times to fit movement in when you work. There are days I'm so swamped I barely have time to eat. Thankfully that doesn't happen too often, but I do need to get better at reminding myself to get up and do something.
Old 01-30-23, 10:50 AM  
donnamp

wishiwasinhawaii - yes, I'm still working from home 100% of the time. I'm not complaining and I hope it never changes. In my old department they go back roughly once every two weeks for an in-person meeting, but that is not even all that consistent - our jobs can totally be done remotely, so I'm glad that so far we are not being forced to go back. Sometimes it does get a little lonely, but I'm willing to pay the price, the benefits out weigh the downsides!

Donna
Old 01-30-23, 04:17 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Today's TM workout was a brisk walk in Lisbon, Portugal with fav trainer Tommy Rivs! Finished up another 12 "winter walk" series and looking forward to see what challenges there will be in February for iFIT!

Donna, I've decided to do short strength workouts, which might be something like a one body part per day. Just need a quick focus to add to everything else.

When I have a bit more time, I hope to get in some stretching with Jessica Smith!

Enjoy the start to your week everyone!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-23, 10:04 PM  
Leonana

Today was Work Cardio and Improved Health How to Build Stronger Bones Strength Training from August 2021. It’s 29 minutes, a minute and a half warmup and seven minutes of stretching. So about 20 minutes of strength. She has one section of light weight high rep to fatigue the muscles. I used two pounds and it was tough! She moved constantly for eight minutes with no rest. I had to take a few seconds break a couple of times. I feel very worked out.

Donna, I’d like to try the 51 minute Improved Health workout eventually, it sounds good. I like her workouts for the same reasons you do.

Pam, I hope your foot is feeling better. I need to do a Jessica stretch too.

wishiwasinhawaii, that must have been an experience being next to the Eagles’ stadium! I’m glad your knee is better.
Old 01-31-23, 09:16 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was a nice day so my DD and I took our Golden on a longer walk. I added on a short Yoga w/ Joelle in the evening.

Today so far:

Improved Health - Day 1 - 7 day Interval Program. It was from this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fa42ZHVbLNzXVa

I think I'll work my way through that playlist for a bit. Today's workout included a long warm-up/steady walk followed by 5 rounds of 1 min fast walk/run and 2 min lower impact/slower paced intervals. For the fast walk/run intervals, I actually pulled out the top of my Fanny Lifter and did some basic step moves. I don't want to run in place - the impact isn't great fore me, but the step allows me to get my HR up higher w/out impact. Anyway, I am really enjoying these workouts - they are easy to "make your own". This one was music only (your typical pop-stuff you hear on You Tube these days) no talking.

Yoga w/ Joelle - 10 Day Morning Yoga Challenge Day # 1 - I enjoyed this one!

I'm going to do the Improved Health strength training routine later today. It is lower body and I figure that I can do it more justice by doing it on its own. It is only 15 min so I'll either get it in at lunch or after work.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Donna
Old 01-31-23, 11:45 PM  
Leonana

Today I did an oldie of Jessica’s, 13 Minute Quick Stretch. This one always leaves me feeling relaxed. I added Improved Health Seated Lower Back Stretches for Pain Relief. I enjoy the seated stretches.

Donna, good idea to use the Fanny lifter.