Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-22, 08:15 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnomoon View Post
I’m doing the type of workouts that I laughed at in my Herculean days.
This is me. I now do workouts that I used to consider a waste of time or ones I did on my rest days. I have lost so much fitness since going through menopause, and I'm still not over it, even though it's been over a decade.

I have a hard time letting go of DVDs. This is for two reasons:

1. It would seem no one wants what I have.

2. I have a hard time letting go of things.

I've tried selling some DVDs to the local used media store, but they won't give me cash, only trade. I assume that means fitness DVDs don't sell well. And even though I can't sell on eBay (no Paypal account), I have looked to see what DVDs go for. They don't. Brand new Beach Body sets sell for $11 to $15, so what could I get for my used ones?

I read Cassandra Aarssen's book, The Clutter Connection, and learned I am a bee. Bees are the worst at clutter and hoarding, and they have the hardest time letting things go. They don't want to just give things away, they want to make sure they go to the right person or place.

I gave away a ton of DVDs on share the wealth a few years ago, but I was discouraged by the fact that only a handful of ladies wanted them each time I posted a new list. I wanted to spread the wealth around.

So, what do I do with them? I store them. And lament the space they take up.

I think it would be easier for me to part with equipment. If only I knew where to take it.
Old 08-12-22, 05:40 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

What a timely thread. I do have some equipment that I may part with but am hesitant but I really need to ask myself how much I need. I know there are some items I want to keep for sure, but others that I haven't touched for literally years I probably could let go at this point.

Same with DVDs, there are a fair amount I am ready to let go of. My fitness level has drastically changed and am dealing with injuries. Hip issues for months and now possible arthritis in one of my knees.

In the back of my head I think what if I get back to my previous level of fitness, and am sorry that I let certain DVDs go? But as others have said, I need to face the truth. Simple tasks like sitting cross legged are difficult for me right now, am I really going to be able to do some of the Firm and Cathe DVDs that I used to do? Probably not.

That said, I would probably keep a couple favorites of each and just let the rest go, or figure out which ones I could still do even really modified. Right now I am really enjoying PowerFit, plus I have Margaret Richard and some Jane Fonda that are trusty standbys that I could still do, injuries and all.

Still, it's a bitter pill to swallow. But I need to face reality....it's nice to know that I am not alone here.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-22, 06:22 PM  
Vantreesta

I'm too stubborn. Maybe bc I'm only 46, I don't know, but I still feel like if I want it bad enough I'll figure out a way to make it work. For several years when we went hiking I had compression sleeves on my knees and calves, sometimes thigh, sometimes feet. My husband would shake his head and ask why I would want to hike if I had to wear all that stuff to keep from hurting. I told him until pain is greater than enjoyment I will do whatever it takes. I do glute and hamstring work pretty much every time I workout and I haven't needed sleeves when hiking or running for several years now.

I guess it's possible that may change some day but right now I feel like my body doesn't get to tell me when to give smthg up, only my brain can if I don't enjoy it anymore!

I hope that doesn't come across wrong. I have chronic issues but they are mild compared to so many and I understand that sometimes it just isn't worth some things. I'm a farmer's daughter though, stubborn as a mule and determined to find a way!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decluttering, equipment gathering dust