Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-22, 07:18 AM  
Mickey12

OT wedding dresses

I am doing general cleaning out at my house and realized I have my wedding dress in a box under my bed. It's been there, untouched, for 31 years. I don't have any children to hand it down to and I really don't have any sentimental attachment to it.

So my question is, what should I do with it? I don't feel the need to keep it. When I clean out clothes I give them to Salvation Army. Do people give wedding dresses to Salvation Army? Any other thoughts?
Old 01-11-22, 08:12 AM  
LAC

There are some organizations that use donations of old wedding dresses to sew burial gowns for still born babies. I'm not sure how you would find out if there is one local to you - maybe someone else here will know.

Here are the first few I found with a Google search, although some aren't currently accepting donations:

http://www.angelgownsofwny.com/
https://www.littleangelgowns.org/
https://www.emilias-wings.org/angel-gowns/
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-22, 09:18 AM  
buffmama

People absolutely buy second hand wedding gowns.
Old 01-11-22, 10:10 AM  
fanofladyvols

Yes, goodwill here sells them and people buy them. They use them for repurposing dresses or even Halloween outfits.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-22, 10:50 AM  
Gams

I think giving it to a second hand clothing store to sell for you is an excellent idea. There is one in the town near me and they sell a lot of designer clothing in great condition at reasonable prices and pay a commission to the people who bring them the items. I think there are a lot of women who would like a nice wedding gown but can’t afford a new one.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-22, 12:27 PM  
edensmom

There's a non profit bridal store near me that sells all second hand dresses. I believe it benefits victims of sex trafficking, but I don't remember exactly. Anyway there may be something like that in your area.

As an aside amazon has changed everything when it comes to affordable wedding dresses. I got mine for 200 and it is simple but very pretty.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 08:06 AM  
Venus

Do you have other family members or friends who may be interested in your wedding dress? Or do you know someone who sews? A local seamstress or dressmaker? They may be able to repurpose the dress or material. You can also try selling or giving away your gown locally (on Facebook marketplace or similar site).

I've seen wedding dresses in thrift stores. Some thrift stores have a wedding dress section, but they're often with special occasion dresses. I've also seen some out during Halloween.

I was going to suggest Littlest Angels but saw on their website that they are not accepting wedding gowns at the moment. You may be able to find some local options for donation besides Salvation Army.

Pennsylvania wedding dress donation
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decluttering