Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-21, 08:12 AM  
donnamp

Is Callanetics good for Rehab?

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering, is the Callanetics method good for rehab - particularly for lower back, SI/hip type issues?

I did the "old" Callanetics back in the day and the pelvic tucking does irritate my back. Is that still a part of their method?

Would love to hear any stories (good or bad) about Callanetics and how it may have helped (or not!) with these issues.

Also if you could mention which particular workouts worked best for you - I'm considering subscribing to their site for a 7 day free trial and would love to know where to focus my attention.

My lower back/hip/SI are taking a beating these days from all the sitting I do. I have no particular injury per se - just kind of chronic issues for many years now.

Thanks in advance!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 10:02 AM  
Vantreesta

I don't remember which Callanetics workout I tried several years ago but something in it aggravated my SI joints. But I only tried the workout once and it's possible my form wasn't spot on, I don't know, so I can't actually say their method doesn't help, just my limited experience. I also just didn't enjoy the workout so I gave away the ones I had.

However, Classical Stretch really aggravated my back when I first tried it as well, and I know a lot of people swear by CS. I have tried some episodes since but they weren't back-specific, so I don't know if those particular workouts would still bother my back. I have found I really don't like CS so have stopped trying.

I'm not sure if that helps in any way! I think there was a thread about SI joint issues awhile back but I don't remember for sure. Tone & Tighten on YouTube has some good SIJ stuff. I find bridges to be helpful as well.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 10:33 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi Donna! I have bouts of sciatica (as you know) and the pretzel segment from the older AM/PM Callanetics dvd, the AM segment, always gets right into that area and makes it feel so much better. (I should pull it out and take my own advice). I know your issue is a little different but I just wanted to throw that out there. Like you said, some parts of Callanetics can exacerbate a back problem too. But that particular pretzel segment always does wonders for me.

ETA - I did a free trial of Callanetics not that long ago and I enjoyed it. I think they may have a few videos addressing the lower back if I recall. I'm a little hazy on the details though.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 10:53 AM  
donnamp

Thanks Vantreesta and Summer Breeze, for your feedback!

Donna
Old 10-06-21, 12:22 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

you might try callantics evolution with Sandra Hanna, it seems like she updated and there is less tucking (I think)
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 02:09 PM  
donnamp

thanks eventmom! BTW, do you event? My DD rides and events as well!

Donna
Old 10-06-21, 02:17 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yes! made it to prelim (see avatar) but my mare is 23 now and we've dropped back to BN, I'll be horse shopping in about a month! What is your DD doing? I pony clubbed growing up. Maryland is a great location for eventing.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 06:47 PM  
donnamp

Maryland does have a lot going on for horses - I never rode, but my DD does. We are not far from the Maryland Starter Horse Trials:

https://www.themarylandhorsetrials.c...r-horse-trials

My DD almost bought a horse this summer - we were shopping for one - it was an experience, but she ended up leasing a horse from the barn where she takes lessons. Probably for the best since she is college student - she is living at home right now, but will probably transfer in a year or two. So...leasing seems to make sense for now.

She is just getting started. I think it was Beginner Novice that she did last year - she and her horse came in 8th, so I guess that isn't too bad.

I'm glad that she enjoys it!

Donna
Old 10-07-21, 11:10 AM  
Venus

Donna, I recently did Callanetics Basics with Lacey Kondi. I'd found it too easy when I first tried it a while back; this time I had some back pain and made sure to focus on correct form. I found it gentle and effective.

Callanetics Basics with Lacey Kondi

I haven't done any of the older Callanetics, so I don't know how this workout compares to the original workouts. If you watch the clip, you'll see there is pelvic tucking. I didn't have an issue, but my back pain is usually mid to upper back. I checked this out from my public library. You may want to check if your library has any Callanetics DVDs to try out, too.

I've found pilates and yoga great for back pain, especially when I am consistent.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 11:34 AM  
donnamp

Thanks Venus!

There is a rehab program on the Callanetics site:

https://www.callanetics.tv/programs/callanetics-rehab

I suppose I could try it free for 7 days, but I also don't want to do anything to make my situation worse!

For now I've gone back to some of my tried and true Yoga and Pilates DVDs but I think I may try some of this once things have settled down!

Donna

Tags
ab attack, callanetics, callenetics, core attack, lower back pain, pretzel, sacroiliac joint, sciatica, trish muse