Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-21, 10:07 AM  
kat999

Jillian Michaels Body Revolution vs. Body Shred?

I've been on a JM kick lately and have a ton of her workouts plus the FitFusion app. I'm considering trying either a self-designed JM rotation or splurging on either the Body Revolution or Body Shred systems. I can't find very good comparisons of the two, however, beyond the fact that one is 90 days and one is 60. Is BR older and somewhat easier? Is it sort of a akin to P90 vs. P90X or something like that? Am I better off just using what I've got, which is considerable? Will I feel like these specific rotations are adding new modalities that I'm not getting from her standalone DVDs?
Old 06-09-21, 10:47 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I have only done Phase I of BR, so can't comment but this article might be helpful in figuring out which program is a better fit for you right now:

https://2lazy4gym.com/2015/05/01/jil...els-bodyshred/

Also, if you didn't already see it, this is a recent funny take on working out with BR:

https://www.vulture.com/2021/04/an-o...out-video.html

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 10:58 AM  
kat999

Thank you so much! That article is SUPER detailed and it sounds like I should definitely start with Body Revolution and only consider Body Shred if I feel like I want an extra challenge.

I remember reading that Vulture article a while back. So funny!
Old 06-09-21, 05:12 PM  
kat999

Update: I found both systems at a reasonable price (one on ebay and one on Amazon) and decided to order both. I'll do Body Revolution first and then move on to Body Shred. This is going to be an intense summer!
Old 06-09-21, 07:00 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I love Body Revolution when I did it way back when. IIRC the first phase was way too easy, and the last phase is just right.

Body Shred is the continuation of Body Revolution. I only liked the first phase. I didn't move on from there. I thought it was way too hard!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 07:10 PM  
bubbles76

Katt maybe I'll join you. I'm going to sub the cardio though. I can't do the same three cardio workouts for the whole time.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 08:21 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Katt maybe I'll join you. I'm going to sub the cardio though. I can't do the same three cardio workouts for the whole time.
Do it! My DVDs should be here in a few days haha. I'm not sure if I'll sub the cardio. If it's sort of "mindless" enough I may not mind repeating it. I'm also not sure if I'll do the rotations as prescribed or just work through each DVD. We'll see! I'm super excited.
Old 06-10-21, 08:22 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
I love Body Revolution when I did it way back when. IIRC the first phase was way too easy, and the last phase is just right.

Body Shred is the continuation of Body Revolution. I only liked the first phase. I didn't move on from there. I thought it was way too hard!
I may discover that. With JM, I'm perpetually bouncing back and forth between the "regular" mode of doing a move and checking in with the modifier. I can do the advanced version of many moves. But some things she does I honestly just don't think my anatomy is capable of it. For example, I can do high knees okay but not butt kicks, even though there's both essentially jogging in place with only a small adjustment. I think my legs are also too short to kick very high, so her kickboxing DVD and segments are often embarrassing for me (I can do the basic move, everything's just lower haha).
Old 06-10-21, 10:03 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
But some things she does I honestly just don't think my anatomy is capable of it.
I had the hardest time coordinating my arms and legs in the running man thing for some reason and dreaded it so much. Didn't occur to me to substitute something else til late in the rotation.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 11:14 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I had the hardest time coordinating my arms and legs in the running man thing for some reason and dreaded it so much. Didn't occur to me to substitute something else til late in the rotation.
Yeah, I can't really do that. Honestly, whenever she does too-complicated cardio, I just run in place and try to make sure I'm exerting similar effort. Her strength moves are generally not too hard for me, and I appreciate that even she has trouble doing the stretches at the end based on her flexibility and height.

Tags
body revolution, body shred, jillian michaels