Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-20, 06:47 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

2021 will be the year of assessment when it comes to my collection. For now it's fine because it's not large (under 100) and I have space for them all. But I know who I use and I know who just sits there too. But, if I do get rid of any, I don't want to have any regret later. I have unloaded and reacquired more DVDs than I care to admit. On the other hand there have been some instructors/DVDs that I have cut from my collection entirely, thinking I would regret it and so far I have not.

I have my favorites of course who will stay, but I am using You Tube a lot more now (Caroline Girvan and Heather Robertson), and while I bought 10 DVDs this year which is more than the last two years combined, that really isn't much. I am really not buying like I used to which is a good thing.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 07:04 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Before our major move out of state, I went through all of my DVDs and kept the ones I loved the most. Each day I would do a workout that I wasn't sure about. If I didn't like it, I got rid of it. I had to at least enjoy it enough where I knew I'd want to do it again. If the DVD had a 10 minute segment that I loved, I kept it because sometimes I like having add-on workouts. Good luck!
Great idea, going to attempt this

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 07:08 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Thanks, Pam

A few other suggestions that I have picked up along the way from other VFers that helped me to enjoy my collection :

1) organize your collection.
So many ways to do it, but it needs to be in a way that's useful to you. Mine is organized by three main categories: (Strength/cardio/pilates,yoga,stretch.)
They have subcategories, and are separated into trainers.
Ex. Strength has upper, lower, total body, abs.

2) Establish a dedicated, defined area.
Easier to do once you have organized. I use one bookcase. Previously, it was in different areas (still separated by categories) when I had to use the living room. Basically, I don't want my workouts to take up my exercise area.

3) Set fitness goals.
Once you have an idea what you want to focus on, you can look at your collection and see if it fits with those goals. These don't have to be lofty and can be small, measurable markers of improvement in some functional activity. I don't like aesthetic goals personally.

4) create a plan or rotation to meet the goals. This is where you shop your collection and then can create a subset of workouts to concentrate on for a month or so. You don't have to worry about your entire collection and you don't have to make the rotation very long...it can be two weeks.

5) keep a record of the workouts you use and your feelings about the workout.
Ok I just have index cards in the cases and I have a rudimentary ranking. (Yuck/Meh/ok/ good/one /2, etc)
But I hear others have spreadsheets ..maybe one day I'll get there. But find a way to log the use and your thoughts. This will help you later decide when you decide to purge. In my case, 'yuck' are gone right away, 'mehs' and 'ok' go to purgatory.

6) have fun with the rotations because they are meant to help you enjoy your collection.
Ok, so this is where I give myself freedom from the goals and rotations and do a week at any time with random workouts that are fun or rehab in nature. I have also done a month of as many new to me workouts as possible.

7) evaluate your progress
You decide how often you do this. I like to do so this after I finish a rotation. This is where recording your thoughts helps so much! Is what you're using working? Enjoyable? How did your body feel? This is another chance to purge.

8) celebrate your victories.
No matter how small. Hopefully you picked some goals that are easy to measure success. I can always find something to celebrate if I concentrate on non-aesthetic goals. I think taking time to celebrate is SUPER important and I don't think we can ever do this enough.

Hope there is something there that can help you as you evaluate your collection.
Wow, great ideas!!! Thanks so much for everyone’s insight on ways to approach this!

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 08:00 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from decluttering. I'm a big declutterer myself. But, I've winnowed down my DVDs several times getting rid of things I don't like or haven't used for a long time or workouts that are too hard or too easy. Then I find myself acquiring them again later because I've changed my mind about them. In hindsight, it would have been better just to store the ones I wasn't using in some boxes or something than to get rid of them entirely.
I agree! Every time I've purged my collection down, I've regretted it.
Old 12-18-20, 08:33 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Before our major move out of state, I went through all of my DVDs and kept the ones I loved the most. Each day I would do a workout that I wasn't sure about. If I didn't like it, I got rid of it. I had to at least enjoy it enough where I knew I'd want to do it again. If the DVD had a 10 minute segment that I loved, I kept it because sometimes I like having add-on workouts. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise R View Post
Great idea, going to attempt this
I will attempt this too. I have the space for all of my DVD and VHS workouts but having too many choices is more stressful than fun to me.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 08:46 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Moving must be a major motivator. I started this process about four years ago before moving to another state. I kept the DVDs I really liked and could see myself doing in the future. DVDs I had gotten in a previous season that I no longer used were easy to get rid of. For example, there were step workouts with complex choreography that I got rid of because for years I preferred my complex choreography on the floor. And repetitive sets I pared down. For example, I needed only 1-2 Jari workouts. DVDs I had gotten because they were a good idea (heavy strength and some cardio workouts that were just hard on my body), were gone. I tried most of the workouts I wasn't sure of and most of them I got rid of because I didn't really like them after all.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 09:20 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I made several attempts to dwindle my dvd collection by boxing the dvds I wasn't using and putting them in the garage on their way to Goodwill. Somehow over time, and one by one, they've all ended up back in my workout room.
Old 12-18-20, 10:03 AM  
Demeris

Well, I've pruned my DVD collection many times over the year. I currently have a great collection, heavy on T-Tapp, Leslie & other walking workouts, CS/Essentrics, and various pilates. I have a few weighted workouts.

BUT I must confess I've been following this thread like a greedy little goose. I'm salivating at the thought of what you all might post on the Share the Wealth threads in the next few months.

And I want to know which Goodwill Leonana frequents, because I can never find workout dvds when I go to thrift shops.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 10:30 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I have a very large collection. I have purged several times but then end up reacquiring a lot of what I get rid of. I use multi-disc holders like crazy. I like the ones that hold 6 DVDs in one case. I use the 2, 3 and 4 disc ones as well for instructors that aren't as prolific I also have 4 of these 52 DVD towers: https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Nest...s%2C210&sr=8-4
and right now I keep one of them full in my workout room and use that to hold the DVDs that I'm most interested in currently for quick access. When I lived a place with less closet storage, I used all 4 to hold a good amount of my collection. The 3 I am not currently using nest very well into one another and I store them on the top shelf in a closet. They have traveled with me for about 10 years through several moves!

The apartment I'm in now has a lot of good closet space, so I have 3 shelves in one of my linen closets dedicated to storing the rest of the DVDs and sets. it works well for me. The multi-disc cases are the key for me. It consolidates things so much. I store the artwork one behind the other in the front of the cases.
Old 12-18-20, 10:47 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
I also have 4 of these 52 DVD towers: https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Nest...s%2C210&sr=8-4
Oh, I like this rack! Thanks for the link, Stephanie.

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, dvd collection, dvd inventory, large collection, minimizing, purging, purging dvds, sellers remorse