Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-19, 01:53 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I agree the weather could also be a culprit. It has been colder than usual this winter where I live.
We will be getting your polar blast later this week! Here it has been crazy yo-yo weather, with 50's one day and single digits the next, so I think that causes stress and uncertainty that contributes to cravings.

As for exercise, it's been a lot of trial and error, but doing weights followed by short, 20-30 minutes cardio seems to make me less hungry than long intense cardio or weights alone.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-19, 02:36 PM  
VainJane

I'm more hungry and crave unhealthy foods when I'm stressed, so any exercise that lowers my stress levels helps keep my appetite and cravings in check. For me, that exercise is Pilates (Pilatesology and Classical Pilates DVDs) and fusion (Ellen Barrett, Jessica Smith, and Essentrics); I alternate them for 30 minutes/day.

When I used to do cardio and weights I was always ravenous, and since I didn't enjoy those workouts very much to begin with, it was an easy decision to switch.

Another thing is that whenever I'm fixated on weight loss, I put myself under unnecessary stress, which leads to cravings and negative thoughts. I still weigh myself once a week to keep track, but the number on the scale is not my success metric anymore. My waist measurement, which I also take once a week, is a better indication of "results", as well as feeling stronger and more limber (which is much less quantifiable, but still very important).
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-19, 04:35 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I have found the same thing as Sue B. I get the hungriest with heavy weight workouts. Interestingly enough I found that Cathe's Fit Split (not much of a popular choice here but I like it) was just the right balance of cardio and weights to keep my appetite in check. These are roughly 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training each.

I also agree wholeheartedly about the water intake. I really, really have to pay attention to that since I know I need more in cold dry weather. I'm a little stopped up right and doing more mouth breathing which dehydrates me as well so I need to drink more until I feel like I'm floating sometimes.

I also try not to have a completely empty stomach when I work out, and afterwards I have a 100 calorie pack of almonds for protein.

It is definitely trial and error. Good luck to you!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-19, 06:26 PM  
BunnyHop

Is there anything that might be irritating your stomach? I've had less trouble managing my appetite since I figured out that I was having digestive issues. Happy stomach= less discomfort.
In my case, I've lost almost 20 pounds and kept it off for more than a year. Haven't figured out how to keep going, but at least I'm consistent, right?
Old 01-27-19, 07:09 PM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up

Wow, I am so grateful for all of your thoughtful responses!

The reason I posted my original post today is really this: I've gained a LOT of weight over the past five-ish years and during that time I went through a rough time with menopause (those hot flashes, every 30-50 minutes for almost three years!), depression, and sometime during those years I developed sleep apnea which went untreated for a long time because I couldn't face the fact that that might be my problem. (Sorry that was such a long sentence!) I finally took my doctor's advice, though, got tested last summer and started using a CPAP. It took about three months for me to start feeling like a human being again. And then it took almost four months to lose 12 pounds of the 56 pounds I am hoping to lose.

Back in 2013, before I started gaining all the weight, I joined WW to lose about 20 pounds. I was hungry all the time during the four months I was on WW, losing about 15 pounds in the process. When I quit WW, I thought I would be fine, but all those life situations listed above kicked in and I just gave up. I didn't want to feel hungry all the time, coupled with all those others things going on in my life. I think it was a rebound kind of thing--I was famished, so I feasted. Now I'm afraid it will happen again and that I will get too hungry, give up and and gain back those 12 pounds plus more! So--there's my long explanation. That's what I am really worried about. I'm afraid of going back to my old ways. I'm afraid I will give up and rebound.

I will try adjusting a few things and see how it goes, though. I'm working on getting my fitness back and the progress I've made so far feels good after not being able to exercise for so long (due to the untreated sleep apnea--I was so tired!!).

Thanks, again!
Donna
Old 01-27-19, 08:02 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Add me to the list of people who get become hungriest with heavy weights, along with HIIT workouts, and running. I used to push myself really hard with heavier weights/HIIT style training, and felt ravenous all the time. Then I had an injury which caused me to not workout for a few months, and during that time I realized how manageable my appetite had become. When I started back in, it was more in the barre/light weight style exercises. I am much more conscious of my appetite now (part of getting older and food having more to do with weight than exercise) and I definitely notice that barre workouts barely spike my appetite at all. Even tougher workouts like Tonique and Dream Body, while they make me hungrier than barre, are much more manageable on my appetite than heavy weights. Running still makes me really hungry, and I've only made the mistake of running+Tonique a couple of times because that combination makes me RAVENOUS.
Old 01-27-19, 09:23 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
And then it took almost four months to lose 12 pounds of the 56 pounds I am hoping to lose.
4 months to lose 12 pounds sounds like a very sane and sustainable rate of weight loss to me, quite frankly.

I'm also glad you got your sleep apnea treated. There is a distinct and measurable correspondence between poor sleep and weight gain.. The summary gives a brief explanation of this.

You might want to investigate lower intensity workouts like those from Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, barre, etc. People here have had very good results with these workouts perhaps because the intensity level does not increase appetite. The weight might come off more slowly than you might like, but slow and steady wins the race.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 01-27-19 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typos
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-19, 12:53 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Well said Betsy! In particular:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
4 months to lose 12 pounds sounds like a very sane and sustainable rate of weight loss to me, quite frankly.
Exactly what I was going to say. It took me a l-o-n-g time to lose 40 lbs but really, it was easy apart from being slow and I've kept it off effortlessly for years.

I would consider adding meditation to your day if you haven't already. There are powerful visualization techniques available that can potentially help you in your goal of reducing appetite and weight loss. Nothing to lose in any case.

Good luck!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-19, 07:54 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Personally my appetite is huge when I am doing heavy (for me ) weights.
I am currently taking a break from lifting just for a change and my appetite has decreased quite a bit. This is a problem because I really like lifting and I need it for my bones.

I took a break for a few reasons none of them related to appetite. First I was feeling somewhat "beat up" and I was between programs so I decided to do a month of yoga and pilates in addition to my existing Tai Chi and Kung fu practice. I can't face the gym this time of year because of the crowds of people starting their new year's resolutions. I also think lifting makes me kind of tense in my upper body which interferes with Tai Chi where I need to be relaxed. The thing I need to do is figure out a rotation of sorts to maintain my strength without weights because now I am just winging it.

I also think that concentrating on improving my sleep habits has helped quite a bit, although I think that has helped mainly my "willpower" more than my appetite. I also suggest trying to slow down your eating. Try to take 15 minutes to finish a meal. This has helped me to eat less because it gives my stomach a chance to let my brain know I am full
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-19, 07:07 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm another person who feels like she's starving after heavy weights and/or intense workouts. Band workouts don't wear me out and don't make me hungry. Of course, I like them, which might help some. Have you considered breaking up your workouts into shorter segments spread throughout the day - at least, as much as possible?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, cpap, hunger, noom, weight loss