Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-12, 05:05 PM  
chemicalemma

Short answer: Yes!

Long answer: if, like me, you tend to gain muscle very easily and bulk up in the lower body, you can probably live without Volume 5. But as far as I'm concerned, Vols. 1-4 and 6 are Classics for a reason. They are awesome, awesome workouts.

Vol. 2 is my favourite, but 6 is great because it moves slowly enough that you can go pretty heavy with it. Vol. 1 is my least fave, but that's only because the floorwork is so brutally effective that it has a huge dread factor for me. If you enjoy floorwork, Vol. 1 will be your best friend.
Old 08-07-12, 05:41 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I like Volume 1, but to be fair I never tried the rest of them. I recently thought about Volume 6 but ultimately decided to pass. I just don't need anymore Firms even though they are all great workouts I am sure.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 07:17 AM  
Carol K

Volume 4 really emphasizes heavy weights. Susan tells you to pick up 12-15 lbs for overhead press and 15-25 lbs for lat row. It's the first workout where they had that long line of weights in front of them instead of just 3 pairs. In general, the second three classics are shorter, lower impact and have a lot of step work.
Old 08-08-12, 11:07 AM  
Exercise Diva

I have the first 3 and will never part with them. Amazingly effective workouts! I have a couple of questions though for those of you who do these on a regular basis. My only issue is the upright rows they do and the amount of them (easier to do when i was younger and my joints weren't so wonky). Do any of you substitute other moves for the upright rows? Also what is the maximum weight you use in these workouts? I use 3's, 5's, and 8s and sometime 10s. I feel as though I'm getting a solid workout but am wondering if I should bump it up a notch.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 11:29 AM  
Harantwanders

Upright rows are really chancey. I have gotten really hurt in the past from this move.
Harantwanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 12:18 PM  
Christine S.
VF Supporter

I must be the lone weirdo who loves Volume 5...I probably do this one more than any other. Short, sweet and gets the job done.
I also love Volume 6. At first I didn't like it but someone here mentioned going as heavy as possible; once I did, I liked it much better.
Old 08-08-12, 12:32 PM  
bethellen

Christine - I love Vol. 5 too!
bethellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 01:32 PM  
Jane1721

This thread makes me want to pull out my classics again! Maybe now that I am a bit older I will love them? I have them all for nostalgic reasons only - I love the BBH era Firms and even the first four BSS sets, but I just could not click with the classics.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 02:20 PM  
schoolgirl-01

what does BBH stand for?
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 03:01 PM  
Sissy B

Benson, Benson & Henriksen

Anna Benson, Cynthia Benson & Mark Henriksen - the creators of The FIRM

This generally refers to anything released before GoodTimes took over (pre-Body Sculpting Systems).

~Sissy B

Last edited by Sissy B; 08-08-12 at 03:05 PM. Reason: To correct Mark's last name
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm classics