Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-12, 03:51 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Osteoarthritis of the spine & weight lifting...

For those of you who have been diagnosed with OA of the spine, have you been told to limit the poundage you lift? What weight not to exceed? Are there any weighted exercises you particularly avoid? -- And what do you do to substitute for them?
Old 07-20-12, 04:32 PM  
sciencelady

I was diagnosed with an acute flare up of osteoarthritis this spring in the L1-L2 joint (probably from doing the daily February KB swing challenge ). Having ruled out any spinal compression issues, I was given clearance to continue exercising as pain permitted and its pretty much cleared up for me three months later.

During the flare-up I avoided loading my back directly with a barbell, impact activities, and long sets of KB exercises. I was able to use dumbells comfortably and exercises like deadlifts or front squats didn't bother me - I also did a lot of unweighted (yet challenging) exercises with the TRX. I was prescribed physical therapy to improve core strength, but didn't go - just did the exercises on my own. Now I'm pretty much back to all of my old activities and weights without any issues (but still avoiding long sets of KB exercises >100 reps for swings, for example). As always, YMMV (your mileage may vary)...
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 01:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

old thread resurrection!

how "young" can you be to request a bone scan of your spine?

I already have osteoarthritis in my fingers, and want to do everything possible to strengthen my back muscles.

as an update to the OP's question, how heavy do you load, what exercises do you do?

I don't want to go ballistic - i'm sure I get great benefits with lighter weights in doing deadlifts, good mornings.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 05:25 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I doubt that a doctor would order a diagnostic test without your having certain complaints/symptoms regarding your back. But I wouldn't be overly concerned as people can have osteoarthritis in one part of their body (fingers, knees, neck, etc) and not in other parts, or without ever getting it in other parts.

I was surprised to see that I was the OP of this thread. I remember only that I was diagnosed with cervical arthritis and osteopenia at that time. Several months ago a bone scan indicated that I am now osteoporotic.

At that time years ago I had tried to emphasize good mornings, deadlifts, and KB swings. Somehow I drifted away from that. But with the new diagnosis of osteoporosis I am back to those three exercises almost daily. If I don't do anything else, I try to keep to a regimen of doing these 5-6 times a week.

As regards deadlifts, Pavel, who is only interested in strength, not hypertrophy, recommends doing just two heavy sets of five reps -- but five or six time a week. I'll warm-up with squats and some good mornings, do 2 sets of 5-rep deadlifts and then follow that with 2 sets of about 15 KB swings. And I might do more sets of 15 KB swings throughout the day.

As you may know, Pavel with his concern for strength, not hypertophy, does not recommend working to failure, and suggests taking time between sets, which then allows you to get more accomplished within a week. Not working to failure, especially as regards exercises for the back, is perfect for those who have any kind of back problem as it's when muscles tire that discs slip and other bad things happen.
Old 09-07-19, 10:38 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Last fall, I had an osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture. I have had to totally revamp my strength workouts. No more deadlifts for me and that's sad because I love them.

The literature I have read and therapist's advice recommend alternating dumbbell presses to build spine bone mass. Plus, floor work like bird dogs and superman moves. And prone I-T-W-Y resistance ball work for the back.

I like Margaret Martin's Melioguide for ideas of safe exercises for those with bone loss.

https://melioguide.com/

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 10:48 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I'll add that since the painful episode with my neck in 2012 which led to a diagnosis of OA of the neck, followed by a good month or so of constant neck exercises, I haven't had any problem with any part of my spine.

Given the the diagnosis of osteoporosis this spring I stopped doing my daily morning pilates mat routine -- since the major advice is to avoid bending the spine -- but I'm thinking of returning to it, with caution, since I've been working with my barbell and KBs again. I think my body really craves pilates work. It was so hard cutting that out. So I'm going to try re-incorporating pilates mat work into my daily routine again and just try to pay more attention to being stretched out when doing C-curves and to do them only when on the mat, not when standing. The back needs movement!

ETA: Margaret Martin's (Melioguide) and Teresa Marchok's (Pilates with Teresa) works are wonderful and have given me great encouragement and hope that my Pilates days need not be "over". It was around 2000, when in one season of gardening I experienced several disc slippages, that I first started doing Pilates and I haven't had any back trouble since.
Old 09-07-19, 11:47 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
The literature I have read and therapist's advice recommend alternating dumbbell presses to build spine bone mass.
thanks for the rec's and reference to melioguide.

do you mean laying on a bench and pressing each DB toward the ceiling? or standing and pressing each dumbbell to the ceiling?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 09-07-19, 12:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
thanks for the rec's and reference to melioguide.

do you mean laying on a bench and pressing each DB toward the ceiling? or standing and pressing each dumbbell to the ceiling?
Jeannine, here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4AluZkv8rs

Being seated puts more weight on the core and less on the legs. I don't go very heavy with this one. Just heavy enough to feel it.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 09-07-19, 12:19 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Oh, I forgot to add that I love weighted glute lifts/raises for the glutes and hamstrings. They also help build up the lower back muscles. If you raise you heels, they work the calves, too!

https://www.exercise.com/exercises/w...d-glute-bridge

They are easier on the back and knees!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 09-07-19, 02:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Jeannine, here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4AluZkv8rs

Being seated puts more weight on the core and less on the legs. I don't go very heavy with this one. Just heavy enough to feel it.
haha - got it - seated. thanks!

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to add that I love weighted glute lifts/raises for the glutes and hamstrings. They also help build up the lower back muscles. If you raise you heels, they work the calves, too!

https://www.exercise.com/exercises/w...d-glute-bridge

They are easier on the back and knees!
i love those too. Cindy Crawford has that move where she puts her heels on a chair, laying on floor.

Tags
osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, pavel tsatsouline, pilates for buff bones