Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-23, 07:56 PM  
tracyb

Essentrics/Low Back Pain story

I just wanted to share my low back pain (abbreviated) story in case it might help someone else.

I have a desk job and a longish commute. About 18 months ago, my lower back became increasingly painful until the day I got home and literally could not stand up out of my car and had to crawl to the house. Went to the doctor and x rays showed severe arthritis/bone spurs on all my lumbar facet joints and virtually no disc left between L5 and S1. I tried yoga, didn't help at all. I tried Classical Stretch, no help. Did a long round of PT which helped some. I have been daily living with pain, especially when standing from seated. I couldn't do a hip hinge because if I tried to raise up, my knees would buckle from the pain. It was tolerable on a daily basis, but depressing to be so immobile in my early 50s.

I have been loyal to my PT exercises and slowly getting better, and with the help of a myofascial therapist had pinpointed what we thought was causing the most pain - QL, psoas, IT band. When searching YT one day I came across an Essentrics video 14 Min Psoas, IT, and Hips Stretch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U85YqRN0iy0 and decided to give it a try.

I am very tight so this was pretty funny at times, BUT afterwards I could stand and do a hip hinge without ANY pain. I literally cried from sheer relief.

Moral of the story - if something doesn't work the first time, it might later when circumstances are different. I signed up for their streaming service and it is life changing.

Sorry for such a long post from someone who rarely posts, but I wanted to share in case it might help someone dealing with pain.
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-23, 08:08 PM  
tlchello

I have been doing more Essentrics/Classical Stretch lately, alternating it with lifting weights. It has been a game changer. I had been getting bad tension headaches that would turn into what felt like a horrible migraine and I was living on Advil to function. After adding in CS, I was pretty much off the Advil and my massage therapist said she had never felt my upper body so loose.

Unfortunately, I am now back to almost square one with pain and issues because of a fall on ice, but I am hoping the recovery will be quick.

I agree that they definitely work for certain things.
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-23, 08:28 PM  
bubbles76

Tracyb I'm glad to hear that you are getting relief from pain using Essentrics. And it was immediate! I recently bought some Essentrics workouts (I believe it was over Christmas or New Year's when there was a sale) and I did one workout. Felt good. I should incorporate the workouts on the weekends.

Tlchello which CS workouts helped with migraines? I suffer from them pretty badly.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-23, 08:37 PM  
tlchello

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post

Tlchello which CS workouts helped with migraines? I suffer from them pretty badly.
The CS didn't help with the migraine, but it helped with the tension headaches that would trigger migraine-like pain. My upper back and neck were so tight that it was painful just to try to hold my head up all day. It was like a brick wall of tightness.

I found that doing any of the upper back focused ones helped and also ones that have hand sequences. But, honestly, I think just doing any of them on a regular basis helps me.
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-23, 09:07 PM  
JanaK

I agree about it being life changing. I used to get back pain but haven't since I started doing CS /Essentrics. I've probably done episode 1020 a hundred times.

The other day I woke up with a sharp pain in my upper back and shoulder and I did part of one of Miranda's very slow pain relief episodes. The pain was dramatically reduced right after and then gone a few hours later.
Old 03-06-23, 10:28 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

This is such a cool thread. I'm so glad that so many have been helped by this exercise method!

I send Gail's neck/shoulder release out a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhZTbuabwxg

I have my own favorite CS episodes that I have done over and over.

CS/Ess can be so helpful with pain.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-23, 11:54 PM  
fanofladyvols

I'm so glad you found something to help you feel better tracyb!

P.S. Does anyone know what DVD the video posted to YouTube is from that tracyb highlights in her original post?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 02:19 AM  
Non-Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I'm so glad you found something to help you feel better tracyb!

P.S. Does anyone know what DVD the video posted to YouTube is from that tracyb highlights in her original post?

It's from "The Ultimate Stretch Workouts. The link is HERE.
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 06:20 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Dancer View Post
It's from "The Ultimate Stretch Workouts. The link is HERE.
Thank you!! 🙌🙌

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 09:57 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you SO MUCH. I'm recovering from a big mess which includes piriformis, IT band, hip flexors, etc. I have to be very careful with Miranda but I will give this a try.

How awful you had to drag yourself to your door. I'm glad you are doing much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
This is such a cool thread. I'm so glad that so many have been helped by this exercise method!

I send Gail's neck/shoulder release out a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhZTbuabwxg
Thank you as well Jackie, I didn't realize Essentrics had some freebies on YT.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back pain, essentrics, pain relief