Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-22, 11:57 AM  
lotusgirl

Dr. Jen Gunther

I'm a little late to this thread, but I wanted to recommend reading by Dr. Jen Gunther. https://drjengunter.com/ I came across her when I was looking up something that sounded stupid and dangerous and she said, yes, it's dangerous. She calls out the nonsense spouted by celebrities and wannabe influencers. She's been in the New York Times as well as other credible publications. She's active on Instagram with short, engaging videos.

Does she specifically have something for muscle atrophy? I don't know. However, she's a great resource if you're trying to weed out the nonsense about perimenopause and menopause.

https://drjengunter.com/
Old 12-30-22, 09:21 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I remember an article by Burr Leonard of the Bar Method talking about this, and just found it again. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/aging...fully_b_911131
Her answer was upping barre classes to at least five days a week.

My answer was getting away from using videos for strength training. I wasn’t getting stronger like I thought I should, and adding in more workouts wore me out. I realized that many strength videos aren’t compatible with progressive overload. It’s difficult to progress by adding weight, reps, or sets, with a video. Pausing constantly just got annoying, and didn’t really work for workouts that were more endurance based by design. I still like videos, but switching to mostly paper workouts for strength with proper rest intervals made a big difference for me.
I have invested a lot of money in DVDs, especially Cathe, and after several years of coming up with my own weekly workout schedule using my DVDs, I wasn't getting anywhere with weight loss or muscle gain (entered menopause 8 years ago).

I got my husband a Beachbody subscription for his birthday one year and I didn't think I would do any of the workouts. I ended up trying some, realized I liked them and started doing their rotations.

Along with overhauling my eating habits, all of the sudden I started losing weight, getting stronger and finally getting the look I really wanted.

I couldn't figure out what the difference was until I realized that I was using the same weights every time I did the DVDs and my workout schedule that I was creating each week was just too haphazard. For example, every time I would do Cathe's FlexTrain, I would use the same weights. Every. Time. It's the same number of reps, same weights, no progress.

Doing something like 80 Day Obsession was magical because the rep count changed over time, and Autumn encourages you to go heavier or lighter depending on the workout. She also tells you what she uses, so if she went heavier, I went heavier.

I've come to the conclusion that I need a professionally-created rotation. Whether it's The Work, 645,21DF, 80 Day Obsession, Fire and Flow, Tough Mudder, MBF/A, or Chalene Extreme, I need a well thought-out, 1-3 month program. So now my DVDs sit on the shelf collecting dust and I don't know when I will ever get back to them. Not trying to sound like an ad for Beachbody, it's just what has worked for me (I follow the program workouts schedule exactly as designed) and I'm not following any of the diet plans or drinking Shakeology. I just do the workouts and do my own thing diet-wise.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopausal weight gain, menopause, muscle loss, perimenopause