Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-29-21, 01:24 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Pam - what a whirlwind. I hope everything worked out well.

Donna
Ha ha, I wish. This Christmas holiday was a disaster from day one.

They closed the gate early in DC and DH and I were running to get to the gate with no stops whatsoever. Everyone on plane who had connecting flights, also missed their flights.

The next day, I was in rush hour/holiday traffic on freeway (coming back from mom's) and this guy slams into me from behind. DH was in Mesa playing games with friends, while I was heading to hotel on North side of town. I was so upset, as there was no reason for this accident. The guy behind me was in a rush, driving too fast...and not paying attention to the traffic up ahead. Complete idiot. And, he was hit from behind, too! I was in front of these two morons.

Anyway, there were other things that made this trip a hassle. Spending hours on the phone trying to get our credit card unfrozen and actually speak to a "live" person. On hold for over three hours, with various calls to multiple agencies. Since we booked through Expedia, we couldn't change original bookings so were charged again for both car and hotel again, when we got in a day later. Almost $500 for auto and $800 for hotel TIMES TWO. And, then how were we supposed to deal with auto accident, as well...calling multiple agencies and again on hold for the majority of the time. One agent said I would have to drive the car back to the airport where we rented it, and turn it in for another car. No way did I want to do that, as the car was driveable but rear bumper was smashed in and rear sensor hanging by a thread. Also, back, right, wheel well was damaged with plastic bumper hanging from that. Lucky I was able to get our suitcases out of the back of the Outlander SUV auto, since I'd been hit from behind. And, I didn't even go into the problems we had at the rental car agency. They gave the car we wanted to another person, since we showed up the next day, plus charged us more for an upgraded car...which was no upgrade...no navigation system...no extras of any kind.

And, this is just half of the story. The real reason our credit card was frozen was because we have painters that are doing work on our MN home, so we can get the house back on the market next year. But, they wanted to be paid over the Holidays, as well as the staging company, so it was a huge charge that the bank thought was fraudulent. Plus multiple charges to rental car and hotel. Pain in the rear, ha!

Anyway, I've rattled on...but we were exhausted. With DH meeting up with all these friends/family members, and me going to mom's each day for a few hours to go through her things, etc. Just very time consuming for me. I slept very little on this trip....awake early 6AM to go over to mom's before we had plans with other folks...driving in opposite directions each day...all over. Maricopa county is very large and spread out. Sun City is way out West, then our hotel in North Phoenix, with multiple folks being on the East (Scottsdale, Mesa, Gilbert) or South (near airport.)

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 04:04 PM  
Leonana

I didn’t sleep well last night, worrying about my darn tooth. So just a short yoga workout, Jessica’s Fusion Fix Stress Relief Stretch, or something like that lol.

I did post a long rant about my tooth yesterday evening but deleted it. I even bored myself lol. I did go in on Monday, as the temporary crown was bothering me. The dentist said it could be too high and drilled it down. It felt the same yesterday, but was fine today. Yippee! I was so hungry, I ate a big lunch. I guess it’s a good weight loss plan lol. The dentist did say my symptoms didn’t fit a root canal, as it mainly bothered me when I ate, and not at night. And I was only taking one 200 mg of ibuprofen per day, he said that wouldn’t be enough if I needed a root canal. So why did he send me to the endodontist three weeks ago for a root canal, when I originally had no tooth pain, just slight sensitivity? Sheesh. I guess they want to be careful.

Pam, you had quite the ordeal. I hope you can get some rest and relaxation now. People do drive nuts on the freeway. Wow, you did have quite the drive! Especially from Sun City to the East Valley. It’s a two hour trip to Prescott and it takes us an hour just to get out of Phoenix. I joke to dh that we could half the trip if we lived in Anthem. I read your brother works at Frys, and I can imagine that he has long hours. There’s one close to my house that I shop at frequently.

Donna, I’m glad you were able to spend time with your dd. That’s something I really enjoyed on our trip, being able to spend two days with dd. Although she rushed home to her apartment as soon as we got home lol.
Old 12-30-21, 08:57 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday evening I did a practice w/ Sarah Beth Yoga for Sciatica - it was relaxing and helped w/ tension in my back. I also walked at the mall w/ DD (masked, of course.....)

Today, so far, has been -

Silver & Fit - Intermediate Strength w/ Penny 12.18.21 - the music was loud enough to hear in this one. It used resistance tubing and i found it enjoyable. She also included those "monster" walks - I think that is what they are - where you walk laterally side to side? It is one of those moves I need to do for hip strength/stability.

Man Flow Yoga - Yoga for Sciatic Pain Relief & Prevention - I signed up for Dean's Mission Daily Yoga Challenge and you get access to his entire library for the duration of the challenge. The challenge official starts on Jan 3rd. But I'm playing around with his stuff until then. I liked this practice - his yoga is more athletic than spiritual. Very focused on form and activation. I feel it is almost like a cross between yoga-Physical Therapy-body weight strength. Unlike so many "yoga for sciatica" practices this focused a bit more on strength and activation rather than passive stretching. He also addressed "rounding the back" and how that can cause sciatic pain - and I find that to be true in my case. Rounding my lower back is a recipe for pain - I'm talking to you, "C" curve!

Not sure what else is up for the day!

Pam - Oh my! Once many years ago when we were vacation in AZ we were involved in a hit and run accident w/ our rental car. Fortunately, it wasn't as bad as what you experienced - the rental car place was very accommodating and our insurance company was very helpful. YIKES.

Sherry - I hope your tooth continues to improve.

Hope everyone has a good day!!!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-21, 04:14 PM  
Leonana

I did my volunteer filing today. My motivation is lacking, so taking a rest day. Tomorrow I’m taking down the Christmas stuff, and hope to get a workout in also.

Lauren at Senior Shape is good at answering comments. I posted I enjoyed the strength workout, but I can’t do ab workouts on the floor so subbed weighted carries. She responded that strengthening the abs is important and recommended her standing or seated ab workouts. I replied thanks, I like standing abs. I did kind of disagree a bit, as I think I get better functional ab strength from strength workouts. But I’m a not a certified trainer, and didn’t want to sound rude, so didn’t mention it.

Donna, thanks. It is a bit better every day. I find that rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash also helps. I did get a bit stressed as it seems to come and go. But today is definitely better.
Old 12-30-21, 11:04 PM  
lizh

Hi everyone,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I have no workouts to report as I am in Vermont visiting family and I will be here until Jan 7. Today I took a long walk. The weather was perfect (around 40). Certainly colder than San Diego but it was nice to see the snow. My DH left on Tuesday and I was so glad that he got home easily without his flights getting canceled. What a mess the airlines are these days! I really wanted to cancel this trip, (mainly because of Omicron) but my Mom is 94 and I felt like I should make the effort. We tested ourselves before we left and now I'm here, I'm being very cautious, but the numbers are scary!

Pam - you certainly had an adventure in Arizona! So sorry to hear about the knucklehead rear-ending you. Ugh! I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. I was getting stressed just reading about all the running around you had to do! I hope all the charges get straightened out and you can catch up on sleep.

Donna - I'm glad to hear your back is improving and I hope all the sciatica exercises are helping. I like the sound of making 2022 a comeback year. I want to build my strength back as well.

Sherry - I hope the tooth continues to behave! And feel free to rant here! That is what we are here for!

wishiwasinhawaii - Enjoy your nephew while he visits. I hope you had a nice quiet work week.

Happy New Year!

Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 08:48 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Last workout of 2021 - so glad to see this year, and this month (December) behind me!

Silver & Fit - Intermediate Cardio - Madeleine 12.29.21 - this was another good one from Madeleine. The music was loud enough to hear also.

ManFlow Yoga - Beginners Yoga for Sciatica and Sciatic pain - I have to say, I have gotten more relief from the two practices I did with Dean than anything else I have tried. It is less passive stretching, more activation, a lot of good form pointers to keep the back straight/not rounded. I'm looking forward to his January challenge - Mission Daily Yoga. Hopefully it will help. I noticed that my left glute/hip is really weak and hard to engage and that is where I have the hip/piriformis/sciatic type symptoms.

Waves, Liz - good to see you!! I hope you have a safe trip!

Sherry - I am glad your tooth is better - I think in a lot of ways when it comes to workouts and our health we really are our own best judge of what is going on and what works best for us. I think medical professionals and trainers recommend what they were taught and what probably is true for "most" people, but we all have our differences and there is really no one size fits all to anything.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year's eve. we are just staying home! LOL!

Donna
Old 12-31-21, 05:55 PM  
Leonana

Today I did Senior Shape's Standing Pilates for Senior's and Beginners. It felt really nice, especially after spending a couple of hours putting away the Christmas stuff, and cleaning the house.

Sad news, Betty White died this morning. She would have been 100 on January 17.

In positive news, Jessica is posting a new workout tomorrow.

Just dh and I tonight. We're staying in. It's cold and raining here. Well, cold for us! High of 57, lows in the 40's. Dd will be with friends. We were invited to her roommate's parent's house for a NYE party, but it was canceled due to the rain. They were having it outside in the backyard. Just as well I suppose, safer to stay in. I was looking forward to actually doing something though, I'm getting desperate!

My Friday lunch friend and her family have recovered from Covid. I think it was like the flu for them, they were all unvaccinated. On the plus side, I guess I'm safer around them. Their youngest son who is around ten I believe didn't have any symptoms, but tested positive.

Tooth is still good, and they called me today for an appointment Monday for my permanent crown. Yay! I thought it might be delayed due to the holidays, but Monday will be two weeks.

Liz, thanks for listening to my rants! I'm glad you were able to visit your mother. It sounds pretty in Vermont.

Donna, I'm glad Man Flow Yoga is working for you. So true that what works for us isn't what is normal. I think consistent exercise makes a big difference in health, even if you are overweight. I have pretty good pain tolerance, and I think most people opt for the root canal as the discomfort is hard to handle. I actually didn't mind it too much, it was the pain of paying for a possible root canal that bothered me, lol.

Happy New Year to everyone!
Old 01-01-22, 08:28 AM  
donnamp

New check in!!

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232197

Sherry - I did see that Betty White passed away - we watched a bunch of Golden Girls and Mary Tyler Moore re-runs in her honor!

Hope everyone has a nice NYE!

Donna

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy