Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-12, 12:06 PM  
pollytc

Judy: I'm sure if you love Jari, I will love her just as much. You're the only person I know who is as addicted to Kelly as I am. :-) I had a few of Jari's newer ones, but just couldn't get into them. Maybe after a few weeks of a rotation with her I might acquire a few of her newer ones for days I don't have alot of time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
I'm another who is on the Jari LOVE train!!! I like her older ones but also think I will enjoy the newer ones, as well. Between Mary's sale and trading I will soon have almost all of them LuckyStar actually got me back into Jari after raving about the Weights and Abs Bonus workout on Lean Machine (and also it's on Body Rock, as well). I did it the other day and LOVED it however, once I got to the abs section the disc started pixelizing and freezing, even starting itself over at different points. I was SO bummed because I havn't enjoyed a weight workout that much in quite awhile (other then KCM). So, I ordered another one from Mary and asked that she open it and throw the disc in her DVD player and make sure it was ok. She did that AND also didn't charge me for the workout!! Keep in mind, I bought this from her quite awhile ago. MARY IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST

I plan on doing a Jari workout at least three times a week plus some cardio and definitely a little more Yoga. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on lately about the benefits of weight training at my age (49) and finally have myself convinced I need MORE weight training and LESS cardio (it has been a struggle convincing this cardio junkie of that, too).

I'm excited because in the summer of 2008 I did mostly Jari's workouts and cardio and was in, by far, the best shape of my life. Her workouts worked magic on my body but that overwelming (and wrong) belief that cardio was King overtook me again and I quit the weight training............NOT going to happen again And since Jari has guys in her workouts, my hubby is even talking about joining me (in 19 years together, that has NEVER happened. I think he has a Jari crush more then anything).

Anyone going to start a 2013 Jari/Cardio Check-In? pollytc........I think the ball is in your court since you have us all geeked about starting It would be a check-in I will commit to, as well
Old 12-31-12, 12:11 PM  
juberann

I agree, once again, with LuckyStar!! throw away the darn scales! Muscle weighs more then fat but takes up less space in the body so the scale really is meaningless. When I was doing Jari's workouts it was all about how my clothes fit, I have never had more endurance and I felt strong but, again, that "cardio only" mindset I struggled with took over and then I was down to two Jari workouts a week, then one and eventually I stopped weight training altogether for quite awhile (except for Leslie's band work in some of her walks which I do not consider strength training).
Fitness has been a lifelong live and learn process for me. I avoid all the fads now and stay with the basics, that eliminates unnecessary and gimmicky programs. Jari is very straight forward in both her sequencing, whether she is isolating one muscle group or doing compound moves. I love her straight forward, simple cardio. Her cardio isn't for people who like complex routines. Minimal equipment. I do admit I prefer the older set, the newer sets are dark and the lights are annoying but in no way at all a deal breaker for me personally. I always enjoy the music she uses, that's a big deal with me.

She has definitely "evolved" over the years since her original Ripped workout was released, I like her personality alot. The success stories on her website are very inspiring to me and alot of these women are over 40, some in their 60's and older, I find that super motivating! and there is definite and clear science on why her workouts work, she talks the talk and clearly practices what she preaches. I like Jari for many of the same reasons I love Kelly Coffey-Meyer but their lifting styles are very different.

I think of her older workouts, Ripped 1000 is my favorite and I will always love the original even though it is no party in a box but I am not one looking to be entertained by a workout DVD, I am much more about how effective the workout is and if it's worth my time doing. Havn't done enough of her newer routines to comment (that will be changing soon) but like, LuckyStar, I LOVE, LOVE the Weights and Abs Bonus workout on Lean Machine and cannot wait to get an unglitched copy.
For me, I think it's the lighter weights and super high reps that made Jari's workouts so effective for me because I am serious when I say these workouts got me SERIOUS results and now that I am SO done with that constant need to follow the latest fad, I am ready to stay consistant and am really excited about doing this. Jari doesn't kill you with excessive ab work but she does include it in most of her workouts and I need that because that is an area I always skip working.
Old 12-31-12, 12:29 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Judy, on a somewhat related note - one of my resolutions is to spend less time on the computer overall, and my goal is to get to the point where I pretty much just visit my VF check-in(s) on a daily basis.

I love 'hanging out' at VF GD forum but the never-ending stream of bandwagons is distracting at best and I plan to not spend $$ and to stick with the wonderful workouts I already own. Focus and consistency!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 12:33 PM  
juberann

pollytc~ Will always love Kelly but I'm ready to mix it up a little Jari's style is very different then Kelly's, her lifting style is also nothing like Kelly's. I "swear" at Jari much more then I do when doing a Kelly workout because I simply find Jari's workouts more intense and difficult. I love that she has come out with shorter routines because some of her older workouts are quite LONG and,while I plan on doing at least one hour long (plus) workout a week, it certainly isn't something I have time for everyday. I just feel I need to kick it up a notch and challage myself. Turning 50 in August has made me aware that the importance of a serious strength training program is going to make a vital difference in how I age and I must stay consistant if I am going to live the active, mobile life I so desire (God willing). I've seen and read too many success stories to ever doubt the benefits and necessity of weight training, through every decade of life but especially after 50. I'm simply not interested in Zumbaing or Jazzercising, although there is nothing wrong with those programs if that's your thing and Crossfit-type workouts aren't for me, either. I avoid the extremes but,then again, I don't want wimpy workouts, either. Jari's routines fit the bill perfectly for me, challaging and effective, super time efficient but I'm not going to have to kill myself,either Keeping hunger under control is also a priority for me and I remember not having a ravenous appetite after a Jari workout (a 4 or 5 mile Leslie walk is a totally different story). I have bought a Whey protein powder and plan on having a smoothie about 30 minutes after a Jari workout, that also made a huge difference when I was doing her workouts
Old 12-31-12, 12:45 PM  
juberann

Focus and consistancy, words of wisdom, LuckyStar, Amen, girlfriend I have decided to not even open up the "bandwagon" threads this coming year, don't wanna hear about them nor be tempted (although I've been pretty good about avoiding them this past year). There are plenty of other ways to stay engaged on videofitness other then reading about the latest miracle weight loss and/or exercise program
Old 12-31-12, 12:46 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

True enough!
Old 12-31-12, 03:50 PM  
OrangeSofa

I'm just popping in to say this is what I have planned for the beginning of 2013 as well. Before I even saw this thread, I was thinking of alternating Jari and some older Firms with Leslie. I don't have any of Jari's newer ones, but her older ones are great.

"The cha-cha is no more ridiculous than life itself."-Whit Stillman
OrangeSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 04:20 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yay, Moira! Great minds and all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSofa View Post
I don't have any of Jari's newer ones, but her older ones are great.
Yes they are!
Old 01-02-13, 08:10 AM  
pollytc

I'll go to the checkin and start a thread. For now I'll call it Jari Inspired checkin and in the meantime chime in with a better name.

Tags
jari love rotation, jari love success