Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-17, 12:58 PM  
SeekingWorkouts

Unconventional lower body workouts?

What workouts or activities would you suggest for defining and building muscle in the lower body? I'm looking for something that isn't weightlifting, the usual bodyweight exercises, barre, or kettlebells. Thanks!
SeekingWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-17, 01:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

what have you liked in the past? what workouts do you currently enjoy?

jumping rope slimmed my thighs unexpectedly. I was trying to slim my tummy! and I'm not talking long segments of skipping rope - like 2 minutes, then stopping, total of 3-4 sessions. these were during commercial breaks while doing Gilad's TV workouts when they were on cable TV.

tall box climbs with the Firm was another slimmer for me, both with and without weights.

you said "no barre" but that was also another non-impact, effective workout for my thighs. callanetics in particular.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-17, 02:31 PM  
noodles

I'm not sure that you can truly build much muscle without using some form of weights but you can certainly tone what's there and trim the fat if there's a cardio effect. I like Mindy Mylrea's booty camp, tabata with toys, intensity overload - anything that uses gliding discs/ bender ball/ med ball really gets you burning! Spinning/ treadmill sprints will work your legs really well too especially using higher tension/ inclines.
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-17, 03:58 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Turbulence Training? More of total body exercise, but it might feel a little different than your usual.

Cycling, and probably especially mountain biking.

Hiking up and down hills. With winter coming, perhaps snowshoeing.

Speaking of winter, how about cross-country skiing. Or maybe ski machine.

@bzar: That's interesting about jump roping.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-17, 05:57 PM  
Sharaz

I’m not sure if you are asking for activities to complement a weightlifting muscle program. Weightlifting IMHO is more efficient for building muscle in general if that is a goal. Is possible to target specific leg muscle group as glutes for example by the exercise selection.

Non traditional activities that helps leg shaping for me are stair climbing, Plyometrics, Incline Walking, Sprints, Step and Kickboxing.

Skating is good too. Would like to get a pair of rollerblades again!
Old 10-17-17, 08:47 PM  
SeekingWorkouts

I just wanted to clarify a few things to help with recommendations.

There are no mountains near where I live and snow is very rare here. I did find at least one place that offers year-round indoor ice skating, so that might be something worth looking into.

I am looking for alternatives to the conventional workouts I mentioned in my original post.

Workouts I enjoy: walking outdoors, indoor walking, swimming, aqua workouts with weights and noodles, belly dancing, and Kristina Nekyia's "Fit & Bendy" DVDs. I plan to take classes in at least one circus art someday to increase the amount of strength and flexibility training.

There are some really interesting suggestions here that I have never even considered. Thank you!

Hmm...Has anyone has gotten results from dancing? Some dance styles--I'm thinking along the lines of ballet and Irish dancing--seem like they would help build muscle in the legs, especially if you're committed to doing them regularly. I'd like to know which ones other people had luck with.

Also, since kickboxing was mentioned, are there any martial arts I should be looking into?
SeekingWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 09:56 AM  
Demeris

We used to have a member, Red Panda, who swore by Emily Splichal's V-Core for slimming down her legs.

I have it. I haven't done it with enough regularity to measure a difference. It's a very good workout, and it will challenge your balance. The only thing that puts me off are Splichal's pretentious intonations and bad grammar.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 10:51 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
I’m not sure if you are asking for activities to complement a weightlifting muscle program. Weightlifting IMHO is more efficient for building muscle in general if that is a goal. Is possible to target specific leg muscle group as glutes for example by the exercise selection.

Non traditional activities that helps leg shaping for me are stair climbing, Plyometrics, Incline Walking, Sprints, Step and Kickboxing.

Skating is good too. Would like to get a pair of rollerblades again!
stair climbing, absolutely. we have a group at work that goes down and up from the 23rd floor of the building. i was a founding member!

the other one is slide boarding. i have a cheapo slide board (Cheryl Ladd!!) that i got for $5 at the thrift store:
https://www.terapeak.com/worth/chery.../152213117842/

there's dozens of people on the web who made their own - people who skate or play hockey that need off-season conditioning. there's several videos on youtube for workouts.

if you don't have a slide board, you can always do valslide (VF has a number of threads on these) or gliding.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 04:24 PM  
desie

The machines at the gym will build muscle.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 05:19 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Lower body

I had my best lower body tone and definition when I did martial arts!