Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-23, 06:23 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
I should have known better after purchasing the last book! Pages 33 - 427 are all pictures with instructions on how to do the exercise.
Can you return it, Donna?

I just saw a few screen shots of the book and yes, it is mostly photos. There are recommended sequences of workouts. If you aren't good with paper workouts, this book isn't for you.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-23, 06:41 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Can you return it, Donna?

I just saw a few screen shots of the book and yes, it is mostly photos. There are recommended sequences of workouts. If you aren't good with paper workouts, this book isn't for you.
Yes, thankfully I did receive the return authorization. The UPS store is only 1 mile from home, I'll drop it off in the morning.

I've watched the PBS show twice, which I really enjoyed. Although I think some of the show was repetitive from prior shows.

Just my opinion - a better name for the show would have been the importance of good posture, not the miracle of flexibility...
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-23, 07:24 PM  
carly

i am returning mine also. It's a very large book with minimal usable content. Think encyclopedia.

33 Pages of text at the front and several pages at the end...I didn't read it but it appears to be nothing new.

140 pages of individual movements broken down into components (ie whole body arm swings broken down into 6 components), Miranda also includes a list of muscles and joints used.

230 pages of workout sequences - Classical everyday workouts, sports specific workouts and pain relief type workouts. Each sequence is listed..1,2,3,movements. It includes graphics (that just aren't usable and just add to the volume of the book.)

If you are interested in this book I suggest you look at it in a bookstore or loan from your library first. The ebook (while not returnable) would be a better value since you could tag/bookmark just what you needed to use and it is $16 instead of $32.

For me I would never use this book. As a paperworkout it would be too frustrating for me.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-23, 08:08 PM  
DD546

Thanks for the reviews. I just canceled my order. I opted for slower shipping through Amazon Prime to earn a digital credit so it hadn't shipped yet. It's too expensive for what you all described. Thanks again.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-23, 08:46 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD546 View Post
Thanks for the reviews. I just canceled my order. I opted for slower shipping through Amazon Prime to earn a digital credit so it hadn't shipped yet. It's too expensive for what you all described. Thanks again.
I hate to give negative reviews!! So please take a look at it when you are in a bookstore sometime in the future.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-23, 09:15 AM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
I hate to give negative reviews!! So please take a look at it when you are in a bookstore sometime in the future.
I can't say I feel very good about my negative review. I have purchased nearly every DVD Miranda has ever made, along with her 3 previous books. I have supported PBS and received the thank you gifts for donating over the years. I attended her workshop in Buffalo in 2017.

For me it makes no sense to keep this book.
Old 03-01-23, 10:11 AM  
JanaK

I really like it. I just skimmed through it, but it has step by step instructions and pictures for the trademark exercises and it lists which muscles they use. It is exactly what I hoped it would be. It is definitely a reference book and not one to read straight through.
Old 03-01-23, 02:54 PM  
Donna D

How many times have we heard that things happen for a reason?

I went to the UPS store to take care of my return this morning; there was a problem with the code that I had printed from my computer. Therefore, I could not do the return.

Came home, read JanaK's post, and checked out the 3 reviews on Amazon. I also like the fact that some of the photographs show the incorrect form.

Chapter 6 illustrates neutral elongation, neutral C, and foot positioning.

Guess what? I cancelled my return!

I'm looking forward to reading Chapters 1 through 5. This book will definitely compliment the many DVDS I own. I need to fill out the form for the bonus materials.

Remember years ago when we would speak about buying additional workouts from an instructor to "complete the system"? I guess that's what I did, only with books.
Old 03-01-23, 05:15 PM  
DD546

Now I'm having second thoughts! I have all of her books except this one, and most of her videos. Decisions, decisions.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-23, 06:53 PM  
Lannette

Kindle version for me

I purchased the kindle version. I can use it on my phone but it’s even better on our large iPad Pro. The pictures can be stretched for a closer look. I’m going to read what reading there is and then use it as a reference and form review.

I noticed that on the Essentrics website they’re teaming it up with season 14. There’s a 30 day schedule there that you can actually see well enough to read. Interestingly it doesn’t use all the episodes.

I’m using Essentrics for mobility so the timing of this book was perfect!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness books, miranda, miranda esmonde-white