Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-24, 01:51 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Great Courses DVD: Qi Gong by Lee Holden

Received "Qi Gong for Better Health & Wellness" (2019) by Lee Holden from Ebay. YMAA is co-producer in partnership with Great Courses, and I suspect these are retitled workouts from YMAA, and possibly his previous producers like Exercise to Heal and Pacific Healing Arts. It was a used copy but in pristine condition for $24.80 shipped.

There are 4 DVDs in the case with 8 hours and 20 min of content as follows:

chapter and minutes
Introduction to Qi Gong (45)
Qi Gong for Better Breathing (37)
Qi Gong for Mindfulness in Motion (39)
Qi Gong for Upper Back and Neck (44)
Qi Gong for Healthy Joints (55)
Qi Gong for Arms, Wrists, and Hands (35)
Qi Gong for Headaches (38)
Qi Gong for Strong Bones (34)
Qi Gong for High Blood Pressure (46)
Qi Gong for Energy and Vitality (50)
Qi Gong for Anxiety (37)
Qi Gong Five Elements Energy Balance (40)

For each workout, there are 2 chapters - Lee's intro and the routine. The workouts have no further sub-chapter points where you can easily skip to another section of the workout the way "normal" DVD workouts are set up.

Despite the lack of subchapters, this is a great and cost-effective way to collect Lee's YMAA titles.

Amazon and Ebay have used copies in the affordable price range of $20- $30, a bargain.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Courses.../dp/1629977152

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-24, 08:35 AM  
Debinmi

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I ordered a set & if it's in good condition you saved me $$! I've been enjoying the 30- Day Challenge and had a bunch of Holden's other dvds in my cart for consideration. This price break was a no-brainer for me!
Debinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-24, 11:57 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

What a great find!

I have all of the titles listed on this Great Course DVD, but this is a great bargain if you can pick it up used. DH & I have lots of Great Courses we've found at estate sales, but I'd never seen this one. It must be fairly new, as there are only a couple Amazon reviews from 2022 and 2024.

May Focus:
Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch Season 9 (All Standing)
Sahra Esmonde-White Body Sculpting Series, Toning for Beginners, Ultimate Stretch workouts

Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-24, 01:14 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
What a great find!

I have all of the titles listed on this Great Course DVD, but this is a great bargain if you can pick it up used. DH & I have lots of Great Courses we've found at Estate sales, but I'd never seen this one. It must be fairly new, as there are only a couple Amazon reviews from 2022 and 2024.
our library carries lots of Great Courses series, but not this one. I have also seen Great Courses sets (sealed too!) in thrift stores.

This one is just a DVD set w/o any booklet - some of the Great Courses series come with a booklet and DVDs. Release date for Qi Gong was 2019, but in comparing the titles, it seems like they are comprised of workouts he did in the mid-2000s

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 04-25-24, 03:51 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I just checked and most of these are available though Hoopla if your library offers it.

I wouldn’t have thought to check there, so thank you!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-24, 06:31 AM  
Ilde

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Received "Qi Gong for Better Health & Wellness" (2019) by Lee Holden from Ebay. YMAA is co-producer in partnership with Great Courses, and I suspect these are retitled workouts from YMAA, and possibly his previous producers like Exercise to Heal and Pacific Healing Arts. It was a used copy but in pristine condition for $24.80 shipped.

This DVD contains great routines for a very good price.
On the HQ library there are also shorter variations of these practices, which are on the longish side, but the price for these routines are much higher.
BTW, none of these practices are from the Exercise to Heal collection.
Ilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-24, 02:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilde View Post
This DVD contains great routines for a very good price.
On the HQ library there are also shorter variations of these practices, which are on the longish side, but the price for these routines are much higher.
BTW, none of these practices are from the Exercise to Heal collection.
thanks -

what is the "HQ Library"?

And thanks for the tidbit that none were from the Exercise to Heal Collection. I knew they weren't from Sounds True.

Were any in the Great Courses set previously released from Pacific Healing Arts?

I have a very limited Lee Holden collection prior to this, which were, in order of acquisition:
- 7 minutes of magic (2010, Exercise to Heal)
- Qi Gong for Healthy Digestion (2009, Exercise to Heal)
- Qi Jong for Self-Healing (2011, Sounds True)
- 30 Day Challenge (2018, YMAA)

Tags
great courses, lee holden, qi gong, ymaa