Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-23-22, 09:24 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Drive by: Burn BC for core/metabolic conditioning and 20 min on the mill. Jbliff I will respond to bike question tomorrow.
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-22, 10:46 AM  
JBliff

My workout yesterday was a long walk with DH in the morning and 42 minutes of yoga in the afternoon.

Waves to all. Have a good day.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-22, 07:33 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

45 minutes on the treadmill today. I went to the pool to swim but they were closed for lightning. They get warnings from something called SkyGuard and they have to shut the pool down when lightning is 8 miles away. Good call!

Jbliff I don’t think there are specific rules about what kind of bike you have to have. There are road bikes, time trial bikes with aero bars, even hybrids and mountain bikes. Some people obviously have spent many thousands of dollars on a bike and some people have their old beater. It’s fun to see the variety. Most people wisely don’t spend a lot of $ on a bike till they decide if they really like it.
If it is a USA Triathlon sanctioned race there are rules about drafting and safety rules like having handlebar ends plugged.

Jbliff we both did MetCon yesterday! I did some extra stretching too. Great minds…

Waves to Cher, Vannie, Gibbee
Old 05-25-22, 10:05 AM  
Vantreesta

I think I finally realized a big factor in why I don't post often. The computer is a huge time suck and I'm not very disciplined. It should only take 10-15 minutes tops each morning to update my challenges and post in my check ins, but then I get sucked in to playing games or researching stuff. I will try setting a timer and try to stick to it. I miss chatting with people.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 11:57 AM  
JBliff

Hi all. My workout yesterday was total body strength training from Youtube + 25 minutes on the elliptical.

Karjoy - Interesting info about bikes. I watch professional cycling all the time and their bikes are certainly seriously top of the line and subject to lots of rules. I just didn't know what kind of requirements a regular tri would have.

Vannie
- I'm with you on the time suck when you get online. I try not to be online very much for that exact reason!

We're having a couple of cooler rainy days here which is super nice.

Waves to all. Have a good day.
Old 05-25-22, 08:27 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Finally got a swim in tonight. It was cloudy but no lightning or thunder. I lucked out and a woman was just finishing so I got a lane to myself. The pool was packed: swimming lessons at one end, synchronized swim team at the the other, high school swim team in the middle lanes but enough room for everyone. This city pool is a 50 meter Olympic size and always sparkling clean.

Vannie one reason I post pretty late is it forces me to get it done and not hang out TOO much online. God you are so right. What a time suck our devices are. And it is fine to check in and not chat all the time. I love to hear what you are doing.

Jbliff I wonder how much the average pro bike costs. I’d be afraid to come near one! Oh USA triathlon is serious about drafting on the bike. They cruise around on the course. Penalties for drafting can be harsh like getting DQ’ed. Glsx you are having cooler weather.

I noticed they change out lifeguards about every 20 minutes at city pool. Must be hard for them to be super vigilant for much longer.
Old 05-26-22, 07:20 AM  
Cher

Popping in again to say hello and update you guys.

Like Karen said, I went to the lovely state of Florida and came home with Covid. I think I might have gotten it from Darrell but who knows for sure. We left on Saturday. Darrell started get some sinus stuff on Wednesday. I started feeling a little sinusy on Friday night. We really didn’t think much about it because we always end up with sinus issues when we go to FL. Anyway, I probably wouldn’t have even tested but we were supposed to go to my sister’s on Mother’s Day (day after we came home) and all of a sudden I just thought “what if it’s Covid?” When my mom and my aunts and uncles went to FL in March, they all ended up coming home with Covid too and theirs just seemed like a cold. So, took a test and it was positive. Ended up quarantining for about 12 days and took another test and it was negative. My poor mom basically had to take care of my sister for almost 3 weeks with no help from me.

When I was cleared, I went to my sister’s and spent a couple nights there to give my mom a break.

My sister had 2 doctor’s appointments on Tuesday. Basically, today is her last day for the IV antibiotics - Yay! Also, her lungs are good and she doesn’t need to be on oxygen anymore. However, she still has some pain so hopefully that will ease up soon too. A physical therapist has been coming to her house the last few weeks and working with her with that stuff.

So, now that she’s done with the IV antibiotics and the oxygen, she’s going to try to go up north. She will have to stay inside because she’s still pretty weak but we told her we would stay home and help her if she wasn’t up to going but she wants to go and get away. So leaving tomorrow. It will be very weird and sad at times though since this will be the first time going without my dad being there.

So, exercise……Saturday was the first day I did anything besides walking in about 6 weeks. I did a Jessica Smith Yoga & Pilates something or other. Yesterday I did one of the new JS DVDs….Sculpt Routine from Fusion Flow. Boy, I can tell I’m out of shape. My legs hurt this morning.

I’m hoping to be back chatting and exercising after I get back from the cabin.

Have a nice holiday weekend.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 10:17 AM  
Vantreesta

So good to hear from you, Cheryl! I hope you all can enjoy the wknd at the cabin even though there will be moments of sadness. Hopefully there will be lots of good memories flowing. Praying your sister can handle the trip.

JB and Karen, thanks for keeping the check in going!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 05:08 PM  
JBliff

Hi all. My workout yesterday was a 30-minute low impact cardio workout from Youtube. I then found a new Les Mills Body Combat on Youtube so had to do that too (about 51 minutes). Les Mills really put out quality stuff.

Cher - Great to hear from you! Thanks for the update on your sister. I'm glad she is doing better. I hope you all have a nice time at the cabin. Looking forward to having you pop into the checkin more often.

Karjoy
- I looked up Tour de France bikes and they average around 13K each. Interesting about not being able to draft during a triathlon. Drafting is definitely done all the time in professional cycling and it's legal.

Hi to Vannie and Gibbee. Have a great evening.
Old 05-26-22, 09:02 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Cher so very good to hear from you! And thanks for the update on your sister and it is wonderful she is getting better. I am almost embarrassed your whole family came down with Covid in Florida but not surprised. I live in NW Fl and we are unfortunately known for lots of allergies. I have had patients go to a different climate and the minute they stepped off the plane back here they noted nasal congestion. I feel for you.

I’m beat so I will visit longer tomorrow. Ran 25 minutes.