Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-31-21, 01:49 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I’ve bounced in and out of my online shopping cart about 10 times, trying to get the nerve to hit “purchase” on a concept 2 rower! I’ve been planning it, but still…!!! I have to work myself up to it, lol.
I ended up talking myself out of the Concept 2. I still really want one, lol, but I can’t be convinced that the noise won’t wake up the family when I exercise in the early morning.

I did decide to take another chance on a spin bike. I bought one a few months ago, but it was a lemon right out of the box. I upped my price range just a hair and got a name brand (Echelon ex15). I also ordered a tablet holder and a squishier seat. It should show up Tuesday.

I plan on continuing my strength workouts — I did pretty well with them this year until we all got a stomach virus in early December. Now I’ll add in some spin workouts.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 02:04 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Thank you! I have more than enough to keep me busy. My adult kids and one girlfriend are all home for the holidays so there is activity going on all the time. And food out all the time too. I love having them home but some down time would be nice, too.

I've had several major surgeries and a few minor ones in the past few years but I was always able to figure out ways to work out around those injuries and keep some routine with gradual progress back to normalcy. Now I'm just helpless on the couch and completely dependent on people for every. little. thing. and no workouts. It's like my whole life has been turned upside down.

I'm sorry for your physical issues and hope your recovery has gone well!

Thank you! Yes, grieving - I never thought about it before but that feels like what I am experiencing. I feel guilty describing it that way when others are experiencing true losses.

Thank you. I'm just such a mess - I think I'm beyond what anyone here can help with. I may try to get some professional help after the holidays are over and my kids are gone.

Erica
Just sending hugs & lots of healing vibes to you.
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 02:14 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I did decide to take another chance on a spin bike.

we all got a stomach virus in early December. Now I’ll add in some spin workouts.
I'm sorry about the stomach virus (that's awful and even worse when it's the whole family) but so happy that you'll have Kaleigh time on the bike! I miss her SO SO much. I bawled on my last ride with her before my surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogribbit View Post
Just sending hugs & lots of healing vibes to you.
Thank you so much.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 02:18 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Erica this post and subsequent ones spoke to me as well as the many supportive responses. In the beginning of Covid, March 2020, I broke my foot much to my surprise. I think it was a stress fracture that completely gave way doing a hiit workout. Exercise was always my stress release, and it was at a time I really needed it. The pandemic had everyone on edge. I eventually learned to adapt doing upper body and core workouts as well as chair cardio routines. It probably took me 6 months after the healing process to get back into shape and feel comfortable doing my regular workouts. Fast forward to May 2021. I was in a near fatal car crash. Broken C7, severe concussion, injured left neck/shoulder area as well as a shattered right leg. From May 11th to the middle of September I was not allowed to put any weight on my right leg and no lifting. I was also surgically placed in an external fixator which didn't come off for almost 3 months. It took 4 surgeries to repair my right leg. I also wore a cervical brace for those months and thank goodness that area healed without surgery. Plus I lost range of motion and most of my strength in my left shoulder area. I couldn't tolerate my regular healthier diet during this time. My stomach wanted only carbs with the pain meds I was taking. So being mostly in bed for several months and eating very unhealthy, I put on 10 pounds. On top of this, my right leg is so swollen at times that I can't wear regular pants. I need to wear something that stretches or with lots of leg room. The initial stages of therapy were rough. I lost all my muscle strength and had severe limitations on range of motion in my hip, leg and ankle besides my neck, spine and shoulder. Lots of atrophy throughout my body too. I went from being in the best shape of my life to requiring assistance with everything. I also couldn't concentrate to watch TV shows, read or listen to podcasts. Mentally I wasn't able plus the effects of the concussion lasted for months. I was never a TV person anyway, so this just made things so tough. Hoping you can find something you enjoy to help distract during the healing process. The prognosis for my injury is a 1-2 year recovery. This includes all the pain, swelling and numbness that persists. I have weaned myself off the pain medication due to the unbearable side effects. But this often makes things complicated since the pain continues. The thought of an extended recovery is overwhelming so I decided I will take it day by day. Like you I have felt guilty about complaining or grieving since I am lucky to be alive and so many others have it even worse. But it is a major loss and something to be addressed. I am glad that you realize you may need more professional help during this very difficult time. I have made some major progress since October. At that time, I was using the wheelchair and rolling walker to get around. I eventually graduated to the cane and now walk without one while in the house. I started using my bike which has really helped mentally and physically. I was discharged from therapy last week. Basically, it's up to me at this point to continue working on my range of motion, balance, strength, etc. My husband bought me a treadmill for Christmas. My speed is around 1.5. It took over 20 minutes to do a half mile last week. Yesterday, I was able to walk at 2.1 for 15 second intervals and finished that half mile under 20 minutes. Baby steps. Your recovery will be different because I am dealing with upper body, neck and spinal issues as well as leg issues. But I just wanted to give you some hope that you will slowly get there. I am not sure where my progress will end but I keep working at it and moving forward. I may need to rethink my new normal in the future. Not sure if I ever will be doing high impact again. Please feel free to reach out to me at any time. Some days I just need to vent as well. While everybody around me just wants positivity. I have a check-in group here that has been so incredibly supportive. Just know I completely understand your sadness, anger, anxiety, loneliness, etc. as you navigate this long recovery process. Sending positive, healing vibes your way.
You my dear are an inspiration!
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 02:34 PM  
ChelePA

Frogribbit…your response made me cry. Thanks for the kind words.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 07:32 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I'm sorry about the stomach virus (that's awful and even worse when it's the whole family) but so happy that you'll have Kaleigh time on the bike! I miss her SO SO much. I bawled on my last ride with her before my surgery.
I’m so excited to get started with Kaleigh…and bummed that you won’t be able to join me! I know you’ve been having a rough time. (Hugs)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 10:12 PM  
kristiep

I'm going to start a KCM rotation for the first quarter of 2022, using one of Kelly's rotations from her website and/or the FB group.

I also registered for Lauren Brooks's free 21-Day Squat Challenge which starts tomorrow. May use as an add-on to KCM or standalone, depending on how it's structured.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-22, 01:17 AM  
rhbrand

Well, the first 2 months I'm going to mostly focus on weight lifting 3 days a week with 1-2 days of cardio.

Then in March I think I'm going to splurge on the Thick Thighs Save Lives daily workout cause its very Crossfit like, and try it out for a month or so.

I've not planned beyond that LOL
Old 01-01-22, 10:16 AM  
buffmama

More danielpt fitness. The plan is to start with his challenge and the one at MVMT with Caitlin. I'm really liking shorter workouts and more full body workouts. If I find myself with more time I do longer workouts. I will continue with my Pilates pre-main workout and my yoga post. I am also enjoying trying all the new to me instructors. Lots of challenges to work through this year, happily it will take a while.
Old 01-01-22, 10:53 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Well, the first 2 months I'm going to mostly focus on weight lifting 3 days a week with 1-2 days of cardio.

Then in March I think I'm going to splurge on the Thick Thighs Save Lives daily workout cause its very Crossfit like, and try it out for a month or so.

I've not planned beyond that LOL
Rhonda, did you see they're offering a two week free trial? I don't know if it's still available now or not.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2022, goals, motivation, new year, new year goals