Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-21, 07:34 AM  
ChelePA

My physical therapist absolutely hates crutches. Can you get a walker. So much better for stability and you feel safer.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 08:33 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
My physical therapist absolutely hates crutches. Can you get a walker. So much better for stability and you feel safer.
I don't think I can use one until I can bear weight? I don't know how that would work. My MIL has one that FIL used before he passed away and she said I could have it. I've heard crutches are much easier once you can bear some weight on the second foot.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 09:19 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
I started my trial subscription today!
Martha, please check back and let us know how you like it. Is it really ad free?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 09:20 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

ChelePa - sending best wishes. Foot injuries and surgeries are no joke and neither is the recovery.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 09:25 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I don't think I can use one until I can bear weight? I don't know how that would work. My MIL has one that FIL used before he passed away and she said I could have it. I've heard crutches are much easier once you can bear some weight on the second foot.

Erica
You just put weight on the foot that didn’t have surgery if you are allowed. It really is so much easier. And feels so much safer. Watch a video on it. But you sort of hop along and use your upper body strength as you move the walker forward. My daughter who broke her ankle preferred using the walker as well versus the crutches. Unfortunately she had the injury at the same time as me. She was my nurse and then broke her ankle two months later. It was crazy times in this house. We also had a puppy that was a few months old during all this.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 09:36 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
You just put weight on the foot that didn’t have surgery if you are allowed. It really is so much easier. And feels so much safer. Watch a video on it. But you sort of hop along and use your upper body strength as you move the walker forward. My daughter who broke her ankle preferred using the walker as well versus the crutches. Unfortunately she had the injury at the same time as me. She was my nurse and then broke her ankle two months later. It was crazy times in this house. We also had a puppy that was a few months old during all this.
Thanks! I'll see if I can get the walker and try it.

I shattered my ankle when my oldest three kids were really little and it took a year and two surgeries to heal. It was so hard with three little ones! I can't even imagine a puppy... Figures about the timing with your daughter! For us, my MIL's cancer has returned so poor DH is taking care of both her and me.

Erica
Old 12-29-21, 05:46 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Thanks! I'll see if I can get the walker and try it.

I shattered my ankle when my oldest three kids were really little and it took a year and two surgeries to heal. It was so hard with three little ones! I can't even imagine a puppy... Figures about the timing with your daughter! For us, my MIL's cancer has returned so poor DH is taking care of both her and me.

Erica
I used a walker when I broke my ankle and could not put any weight on my right leg. I tried crutches but ended up not using them. I felt so unstable and I felt like I had vertigo every time I tried to use them. (Maybe that was just me, though!)

I hope you feel better soon! I was told 6-12 months for my ankle to heal. Well, it's been 16 months now, and I still have issues with walking and range of motion in my right ankle. Rehab can be a process, for sure! Stick with it and try to make the most of this down time. I know I learned a lot about myself during my on-the-couch-with-leg-elevated time!

Take care,
Donna
Old 12-29-21, 06:26 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
For the most part I'll continue doing what I usually do. I think this year I will incorporate more barre workouts and continue on the trend of doing more Youtube workouts than DVDs. My love of mat Pilates has faded somewhat - I find that I'm getting a more fun and effective core strengthening workout with Lucy Wyndham-Read's style.
Please tell me more about Lucy! Pilates matwork has been very beneficial for me, but yeah, a little boring. I could use something new
Old 12-29-21, 06:42 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I used a walker when I broke my ankle and could not put any weight on my right leg. I tried crutches but ended up not using them. I felt so unstable and I felt like I had vertigo every time I tried to use them. (Maybe that was just me, though!)

I hope you feel better soon! I was told 6-12 months for my ankle to heal. Well, it's been 16 months now, and I still have issues with walking and range of motion in my right ankle. Rehab can be a process, for sure! Stick with it and try to make the most of this down time. I know I learned a lot about myself during my on-the-couch-with-leg-elevated time!

Take care,
Donna
Thank you. When I broke my ankle my surgeon told me something ridiculous like I'd be playing volleyball in six weeks. I took that to heart and got SO discouraged when it took a year to heal - I thought I'd be limping for the rest of my life (I was only 29 then). But it did heal at 100% and I was always so grateful for that. I hope you have good results as well even if it's taking longer than expected.

I always feel like I'm swinging too far or too short on the crutches and like I'm going to topple over. And I hate that I can't figure out how to carry anything.

This down time is SO depressing. I'm an absolute mess. I really related to what another poster said earlier about grieving because I am absolutely grieving the person I was prior to surgery. I am just a big blob on the couch now totally dependent on everyone.

Erica
Old 12-31-21, 01:34 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I mentioned in another thread that I plan to add weighted lifts/carries to my routine. Not a major change, just a little tweak to the routine.

How about you? Any plans (big or small) to change up your routine for 2022? Or, are you thinking about using that Christmas money to buy some new fitness equipment, gadget or streaming service?

Do tell!

I just ordered a new yoga mat and rug, a Pilates box, and pole for my Aeropilates machine (that was given to me). This year I’d like to work on getting into handstand. I’m still doing my barre and old Firms, going to add Udaya Yoga streaming.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2022, goals, motivation, new year, new year goals