Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-06, 06:36 PM  
CandyCane

Fluidity "flat-back" exercise & standing leg question

What exactly does the "flat-back" exercise do? What muscles are you working? I THOUGHT it was an ab workout...but in the Fluidity workout it's not included with the rest of the ab work. Not that it matters much....I can barely do this move!

Also...I have bad knees and am finding the glute work in Fluidity KILLING my standing leg. I've tried leaning against the bar, away from it, straight out....still hurts my knees. Any suggestions? I'm kind of wondering if I can do some of these moves on my knees while holding the barre? Afterall, the working leg will still be doing the same movement.
CandyCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 06:42 PM  
suegy3

Flat-back is for the abs. And yes it is very hard.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 06:44 PM  
CandyCane

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3
Flat-back is for the abs. And yes it is very hard.
I'm happy just knowing it IS a hard move and not just me....
Old 06-06-06, 07:01 PM  
Honeydew

can you describe this move? please?
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 07:14 PM  
MariaKatherine

Flat back is sooooo incredibly strenuous. I don't know how Michelle and her background exercisers can complete all the reps with impeccable form. I find the exercise to work my lower (transverse) abdominals and hip flexors the most.

"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
--Lee Iacocca
MariaKatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 07:20 PM  
CandyCane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew
can you describe this move? please?
You sit with your back flat against the mat (or a wall?) while holding onto the ballet barre above & pushing up. Your legs are straight out in front of you and you lift them up off the ground at the same time and open and close them in a wide range of motion. I can do about 10 of them, but my knees are bent. I just can't keep my legs straight. There's another variation as well where you "bicycle" your legs with your back flat against the mat. This was one definitely impossible for me.
Old 06-06-06, 08:18 PM  
gianni

Flat back is fantastic. It's extremely hard though!! I took classes with a former Lotte Berk instructor and watching her do it was amazing!!! She lifted her legs like they were feathers! I was pretty good at it then but I'm a bit rusty in it now as I haven't been able to go to the classes often due to distance. I find the exercise really works to pull you in like a corset. It really slenderizes the waistline and flattens it out. (like a corset) It's great for helping in back support... maybe it'll help with the Turbo Jam back issue I have. My only suggestion is take it easy with it. Be sure that you are using your ab muscles. If you feel it in your back, keep the legs low, even if it means dragging them on the floor. It is still effective and you will get stronger.

Candy Cane, as far as your knees, are you keeping your hips over the heels in the standing leg with a slight bend in the knee? Maybe your base leg is too far forward or back. I know she instructs to keep the weight towards the inside of the foot, that seems to help my stability. It seems more a form issue than a strength issue. Once you are in position and doing the exercise, check again to see if you haven't shifted forward or back In any case, I see no reason why you can't do the exercises on your knees if it is more comfortable. Maybe you can work up to standing seat work later. The standing work utilizes more muscles but sometimes, when I am working out on my own without a video, I do the exercises on all fours and they are still very effective.

Good luck!!
Gianni
gianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 07:32 AM  
CandyCane

Thanks Gianni! Perhaps I should just start wearing pretty corsets!

I will double and triple check my form while doing the standing work. I have chondromalacia in my knees, so it's very possible it's just my knees. I'm trying to imagine doing the work on my knees and it seems the same muscles would be used....I just wouldn't be using the strength of my standing leg.

Getting back to flat-back.... is it better to keep my legs perfectly straight and slide them along the floor? OR... if I can lift my legs but my knees are bent, is that better? The day my legs feel like feathers while doing that is the day I'll look like this --->
Old 06-07-06, 07:50 AM  
gianni

Flat back modifications

First slide on the floor with the legs bent, when you feel good with that move into straight, when you get that, then move into lifted with the legs bent, then move into lifted with legs straight. Another way to build more strength is to lift the legs with them bent and abs tightly contracted, then slightly straighten and bend, straighten and bend, etc... until you cannot do another rep without correct form.

Another modification for the standing leg exercises would be to keep the working leg bent rather than straight. It would incorporate more hamstring work but the long lever (straight leg) puts more stress on the joints than short lever (bent leg) does.

Let me know how you make out!

Gianni
gianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 07:55 AM  
CandyCane

HUGE amounts of thanks for your help, Gianni! Looking forward to giving it a new try.