Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-05, 01:15 PM  
froggy

Flextasy

I stumbled across this set at http://www.evolutionhealth.com/ while searching for a sprouter. What interests me the most is that the creators say that one should already have a certain level of flexibilty before even attempting yoga. Therefore there should be no beginner yoga? I've been doing yoga for a couple of years now, but am still a beginner and it seems I always will be. They dont say that yoga is bad, just that it isnt for beginners. I'm thinking about checking this tape set out but the price is keeping me on the fence. The title alone almost has me whiping out the charge card. Does anyone have it?
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 02:04 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy
What interests me the most is that the creators say that one should already have a certain level of flexibilty before even attempting yoga. Therefore there should be no beginner yoga?
That's a complete pantload.

Sure, it's important that beginners get good instruction and the right style for them that allows them to modify safely. Barring complete and utter immobility, even very inflexible people can begin yoga, with good instruction.

To categorically state that "Too many yoga practitioners are stuck in what resembles the classic military posture. Also, most forms of yoga tend to be extremely linear in nature" is a pretty self-serving blanket statement.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 02:34 PM  
Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy
Does anyone have it?
I bought the Flextasy videos a few years ago. There are two videos, packaged in a very nice, oversized case that opens like a book, with the videos on one side, and an envelope with informational literature, and a list of the exercises on the other side.

The first video is about an hour long. It's a follow-along workout with detailed instructions given by Blue Dunn, and there are two ladies doing the workout with him.

The second video is the exact same workout as the first, but with fewer comments, instructions, etc. It's called the "advanced" workout, and only takes a half hour to complete. On this one, it's just Blue by himself. The half hour session is the one you'll do regularly, but Blue recommends you do the hour-long video occasionally to review, etc.

I'm a big lover of yoga, and do not completely agree with Blue that yoga is too "static and linear," but I do see his point. And I do love the Flextasy workout! It's totally unique, and I find it fun and enjoyable. Even when I'm not doing the whole workout on a regular basis, I often use some of his "unusual" moves to warm up for other things, or to wake up in the morning, or... just for the feel-good fun of it.

Blue comes across on the video as a sincere, down to earth guy, and seems to know what he's talking about.

If you have any other questions that I might be able to answer, let me know.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 04:27 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie
That's a complete pantload.
LOL!
I like that expression!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 07:53 AM  
froggy

Thanks for your input, Brick. I'm still giving this some thought. I've read Blue's recommendations regarding other areas of health and fitness and he seems to know what he's talking about.

I dont think the statement about yoga being linear is so far off. I see a lot of long lines and angles in yoga, but rarely, a circular motion. Blue isn't even the first person I've heard recommend more circular workouts to round out your fitness.

I think I'm going to have to plunk down the $50 for this set to satisfy my curiosity but I'm sure I'll continue to do yoga with modifications until the cows come home or until I no longer need them.
Old 03-09-05, 08:17 AM  
Bebop

I have to agree that yoga not for beginners is "a pantload".

I have been trying to increase my flexibilty for years, mostly with traditional, athletic stretch workouts. They have helped but not as much as yoga.

Since I have seriously started practicing beginner yoga, I have seen a small but significant increase in my flexibilty, (I don't need blocks anymore for triangle pose ).

IMHO, people can get in trouble with yoga if they attempt something way to advanced or try to get into poses that yoga teachers and students have been practicing for years. There is one woman in my yoga class that I swear is made of rubber. She usually practices Ashtanga. I would never try to imitate her at my level, common sense.

Among my collection is a gem of a workout " Yoga for inflexible people." I love it. It may be a bit slow and dry for some more experience yoga people, but it's perfect for beginners, has 35 workouts and has modifications and fantstic instruction for use of the props.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 08:34 AM  
froggy

I have yoga for inflexible people, and use it pretty regularly in spite of it's dryness. lol i'm one of those inflexible people it was made for. After two years i cant get into triangle without blocks.
Old 03-09-05, 09:28 AM  
Lynnee

"Have a certain amount of flexibility before attempting..."

Hm, I don't find that statement all that controversial.
I think it's true that there should be a certain amount of flexibility before going too far into yoga. Some poses are definitely not for beginners, certainly not for inflexible beginners.

There are moves that were done in the early days of aerobics that are now contraindicated. Is it not possible that some of the moves of this even older discipline are contraindicated for our modern, sedentary population?
Lynnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 09:39 AM  
Kimberly33

I think there is a big difference between saying that there are some asana (poses) that are unsafe for beginners (any reputable yoga teacher would agree with that), and saying that yoga (unqualified) is unsafe for beginners. Yoga, particularly with a good teacher, is a fantastic way to build flexibility, and I agree that it's a "pantload" (I LOVE that phrase, Sophie!) to say that yoga is inappropriate for the inflexible.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 10:02 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly33
I think there is a big difference between saying that there are some asana (poses) that are unsafe for beginners (any reputable yoga teacher would agree with that), and saying that yoga (unqualified) is unsafe for beginners.
Exactly, Kimberly.

Quote:
I think it's true that there should be a certain amount of flexibility before going too far into yoga. Some poses are definitely not for beginners, certainly not for inflexible beginners.
No amount of flexibility is going to keep you safe if you "go too far" in yoga anyway. Some poses aren't safe for intermediate and experienced, some poses aren't safe for advanced yogis with particular health conditions. And sure, some poses are contraindicated for all sorts of reasons.

But that's a world of difference from saying that people need to be flexible before attempting yoga.

RE: linearity - that's the external appearance of the pose. In many forms of yoga, there's more going on than that.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote